• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hoopsworld: "How the Hawks Measure Up"

T21

thanks for sharing. i think the hawks have a solid team. we've got the chicken littles that are freaking out about the one matchup the hawks have a hard time with - dwight howard - and forgetting that it's a long season just to get to the playoffs and at that point anything can happen.

hell i'd be less concerned over joe being resigned to his deal or the hawks not going out and getting a big name center than i would have been if they had kept woody. it's pretty damn obvious that the hawks were a made for the regular season team under woodson. he did everything he could to scratch out every single victory even at the expense of developing team basketball. well guess what happens when you meet comparable talent in the playoffs and you force the offense through one player? you get what happened against orlando - atlanta's coaching was exposed.

the hawks will be fine if drew practices what he preaches.

Lebron is a great player, wade is hurt alot, and bosh is probably the most overrated player in professional basketball outside of ricky rubio.

i'm not saying the hawks are a better team than orlando or the heat, i'm just saying the sky really isn't falling in Hawksland.

• Like 3

thanks for sharing. i think the hawks have a solid team. we've got the chicken littles that are freaking out about the one matchup the hawks have a hard time with - dwight howard - and forgetting that it's a long season just to get to the playoffs and at that point anything can happen.

hell i'd be less concerned over joe being resigned to his deal or the hawks not going out and getting a big name center than i would have been if they had kept woody. it's pretty damn obvious that the hawks were a made for the regular season team under woodson. he did everything he could to scratch out every single victory even at the expense of developing team basketball. well guess what happens when you meet comparable talent in the playoffs and you force the offense through one player? you get what happened against orlando - atlanta's coaching was exposed.

Lebron is a great player, wade is hurt alot, and bosh is probably the most overrated player in professional basketball outside of ricky rubio.

i'm not saying the hawks are a better team than orlando or the heat, i'm just saying the sky really isn't falling in Hawksland.

I agree the sky is not falling in Atlanta, but it does seem to be rising a good bit higher than normal in Miami, Chicago, and Milwaukee these days. Everyone wants to talk about Miami; but I like what Chicago has done just as much. They strengthened what was one of the best young frontcourts in the NBA. Then signed some not so shabby backcourt/scoring help in Watson, Flip, Brewer, and Korver. They had money to burn and they burnt it pretty well IMO.

Edited by Buzzard

Another second round defeat at best. This article is flawed since it believes Bibby will get it done.Bibby got tore up vs Orlando and can't play defense. Teague needs to come on in a hurry to win the position. The Hawks will beat most of the average and below average teams but come money time they'll fall since they have made no improvements to add talent to the squad.

Edited by thescout5

Nobody is saying this team will fall flat on it's face.

The point is... Where are this teams goals? From an ownership point, reaching the finals is obviously not the goal. This team can still win42-47 games, but it's a question if you're happy with that.

• Premium Member

I agree the sky is not falling in Atlanta, but it does seem to be rising a good bit higher than normal in Miami, Chicago, and Milwaukee these days. Everyone wants to talk about Miami; but I like what Chicago has done just as much. They strengthened what was one of the best young frontcourts in the NBA. Then signed some not so shabby backcourt/scoring help in Watson, Flip, Brewer, and Korver. They had money to burn and they burnt it pretty well IMO.

I think Milwaukee will turn out to be this season's Wizards: Everyone is hyping them up because they've been active, but a semi-close examination reveals that all they really did was seemingly upgrade positions at which they already were strong using "good-players-on-bad-teams" guys who won't be as productive with a reduced role. Remember how some people were running around talking about how the Wizards had overtaken us by acquiring Foye and Miller? You really acquiring Maggette and CDR is any more of an upgrade? Actually, I think that unlike the Wizards, I actually think the Bucks will get more wins. But their front 8 doesn't scare me any more than it used to, and they still don't have anyone if Bogut goes down.

Chicago will be tough, and I think they are the most likely "overtake" candidate other than the Heat. Then again, I said the same thing about Chicago last year and I was wrong. I don't think that Kurt Thomas helps them nearly as much as it would have helped some other teams that lack heart and toughness in the frontcourt - in my view, Chicago was overpowered, not outsmarted or outhustled in the frontcourt. But they now are solid and deep at every position. Long as Thibodeaux doesn't turn out to be a train wreck, they should win ~50.

But honestly, I don't care about whether the Hawks finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th in the regular season. I care about what happens in the playoffs. And from that perspective, the swapping of Woody's predictable and idiotic schemes for those of Drew might give us the biggest net improvement as a playoff team in the whole East this side of Miami. Drew seems to have the right idea for the system. If he figures out how to make adjustments, I like our chances against any team in the conference. Yes, including the Florida teams.

• Like 1

But honestly, I don't care about whether the Hawks finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th in the regular season. I care about what happens in the playoffs. And from that perspective, the swapping of Woody's predictable and idiotic schemes for those of Drew might give us the biggest net improvement as a playoff team in the whole East this side of Miami. Drew seems to have the right idea for the system. If he figures out how to make adjustments, I like our chances against any team in the conference. Yes, including the Florida teams.

I agree. If "success" means a winning season, then we are in great shape. But if success to you means a deep run in the playoffs, then we need some work. Then competition got better and I'm not sure we did yet. Hopefully the motion offense is a real improvement, but ... ... I'm a little worried.

I wouldn't bet on Miami winning as many games this year as Cleveland has the past two seasons. Or Boston in 2008. I just don't see how the competition has gotten that much stiffer.

Boston will be older. The Bulls just aren't any good. The Knicks can't beat anyone with only Amare'. Washington will be a circus.

Orlando will win the east (regular season) going away, in my opinion.

Where is the defense coming from in Miami? Bosh is a pathetic defender. Actually so bad he is a liability. They won't be comparable to the Cleveland or (healthy) Boston teams of recent years defensively. Or to last years Orlando squad.

Milwaukee does have a chance to make noise. New Jersey will still be too young. There's nothing in Philly. And Charlotte, although great defensively, could hardly be considered a major threat. Detroit has nothing left and is starting over. Indiana has nothing.

CS