• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Horford plays more PF, than Smoove plays more SF.

JTB

smith will get more pt at the 3 if horford gets more pt at the 4.....has to be! can you really imagine smoove getting less minutes by alot?

Relating to the article stating about horford playing more PF, what I noticed is that the tone of the article seems as if he will be playing BIG minutes at the PF and if so Zaza will have alot more minutes as well. Now leaves Smoove at SF for BIG minutes which would be a concern for most but im willing to take the gamble to see what Smoove can do cause i believe he's capable of playing the 3. The fact that Smoove cant shoot has nothing to do with him playing the 3. As long as he can defend at the 3 than he's good and with a new offense that has more movement and CUTS smoove will fit right in! i mean imagine Smoove on back door cuts!...dunks all day!, but anyhow the real concearn about smoove playing the 3 is if he can defend other 3's in the nba.

there is something we dont know cause looking at the roster and minutes, with horford getting more pt at the 4,things dont add up:

.....................with that said i want to point out that the only reason that smoove will get more time at the SF position is because i dont think his minutes will be cut and if horford is going to play more 4 than smoove's only choice is to go to the 3 of course. Also i want to point out that to me it looks like either mo, bibby, or marvin is on the move. for one if horford and smith aregetting more minutes at the 3 and 4 than again marvin minutes are cut and if marvin minutes are cut mo minutes get cut. then mo will try to find more pt at the sg where we have both crawfords to backup JJ. jamal could play some pg but then bibbs minutes get cut down alot especially if teague starts. so at this time the hawks to me have something up their sleeves we dont know about and they gave us the hint when they said "horford will get more pt at the 4". very confusing on what we are going to look like this season as far as a full team but there is no way they keep all these players on the roster and are able to play them and give them minutes especially if horford is getting more pt at the 4.

What is going through your mind ATL towards horford being more at the 4 and how it plays out to everybody else on the roster?

• Premium Member

My very first thought that went through my mind as I read it was that we were going to trade Smoove for a 5.

I wouldn't call that wise, but that is what went through my mind.

The trade that went through my mind was Smoove for Dalembert/unconditional first 2011.

IF you think about it...

Dalembert makes sense for us because his contract is ending. When your owners don't have deep pockets, this is what works. Moreover, he's not going to be worth more than 10 Million any longer. The first is a guaranteed lottery pick. The Kings look good on paper.

Why surmise that Smoove is going to be traded?

Like we have all been saying, LD knows exactly what the lockerroom beefs are. Maybe he has heard the ultimatum from Horf about playing PF and Smith needing to go. Maybe he believes in Marvin? Maybe he believes that Smith is the start of our problems? Maybe he and Sund has come up with a way to cut cost and keep the team very competitive? I don't know. However, it's a move that we need to think may happen.

Also along that same line of thinking, I can see Bibby traded to Sac-Town. But that's another conversation.

Smoove is on the bench for about 12-15 minutes a night (basically a quarter out of most games).

That may be the part of games where we see a "big lineup" with Horford at PF with ZaZa / Collins at C.

smoove not playing for 12 to 15 minutes in a game! Im sorry man but i cant see that happening and if it does i just see more problems to come especially with smith's attitude. i mean in other words you are saying smith is taking a reduced role and i know smith will have a probably have a prob with that.

smoove not playing for 12 to 15 minutes in a game! Im sorry man but i cant see that happening and if it does i just see more problems to come especially with smith's attitude. i mean in other words you are saying smith is taking a reduced role and i know smith will have a probably have a prob with that.

An nba game is 48 minutes long.

12 to 15 minutes off a nice means he is still playing 33 to 35 mpg. He currently averages around 35 mpg, so a drop of 2 mpg shouldn't be a big deal to him.

• Like 1

An nba game is 48 minutes long.

12 to 15 minutes off a nice means he is still playing 33 to 35 mpg. He currently averages around 35 mpg, so a drop of 2 mpg shouldn't be a big deal to him.

you're right thats my bad im thinking he will be on the bench longer but smith not playing a extra 2 minutes wouldnt make sense anyways if they are going to play others and horford at the the 4 more because there is no real change in the rotation unless smith goes to sf and marv and mo minutes decrease. so with that said really smith will be averaging probably 25 to 30 minutes a game if horford is going to be used at pf more, assuming that smith isnt used at sf and then powell wont be getting any minutes if this happens.

.....man this is mysterious i know the hawks are planning something that nobody knows or have even heard rumors about! either a trade is coming or they are really going to try smoove at the sf and then a trade will still be coming if they try smith at sf cause now mo or marvin wont be getting hardly any minutes

• Premium Member

To accomplish this, you would need a center who can play 24-30 mpg? Is that young Vlade (Zaza)? I don't know.

24 to 30 mpg is: 12-15 minutes of Horf No Smoove... and 12-15 minutes of Smoove no Horf.

So let's break it down a bit?

C = Horf 20 minutes. Zaza, BU = 28 Minutes.

PF Smoove 25 Minutes; Horf 15 minutes; Powell = 8 minutes.

Sf = Marvin = 20 minutes. Smoove = 8 Minutes. Evans = 10 minutes. Joe = 10 Minutes.

SG = Joe = 23 minutes. Craw = 18 minutes. JCraw2 = 7 minutes.

PG = Teague = 20 minutes. Craw = 15 minutes. Bibby = 12 minutes; JCraw2 = 1 minute.

While I wouldn't call this it... I like the minutes in the frontcourt. The minutes in the backcourt are iffy.

I don't know when Sund is going to wake up and realize trading Smoove is the best thing he can possibly do for this team.

Smoove cannot guard opposing 3's! They will go around him like he's not even there. Smoove's lateral movement is horrible

and he gets so many weak side blocks because he gets beat first by his man goiung past him. He is good going vertical,

but not side to side. Smoove at the 3 will just give him more liscence to dribble and shoot. Anyone that thinks he is going

to miraculously change with LD in charge is in for a surprise. I think having Woodson out of the picture gives Smoove even

more freedom (in his mind) to do what he wants. He is not going to listen to a rookie head coach.

• Premium Member

I don't know when Sund is going to wake up and realize trading Smoove is the best thing he can possibly do for this team.

Smoove cannot guard opposing 3's! They will go around him like he's not even there. Smoove's lateral movement is horrible

and he gets so many weak side blocks because he gets beat first by his man goiung past him. He is good going vertical,

but not side to side. Smoove at the 3 will just give him more liscence to dribble and shoot. Anyone that thinks he is going

to miraculously change with LD in charge is in for a surprise. I think having Woodson out of the picture gives Smoove even

more freedom (in his mind) to do what he wants. He is not going to listen to a rookie head coach.

I can't say what the defense will be so all of our ramblings about that is moot. LD may just put a zone in and be done with it. You don't bring in a bunch of long versatile players and not use a zone. That is one thing that Woody kinda learned. Maybe we go to some traditional zones (instead of the creative stuff that Woody did) and we turn out better for it.

"More"

How to define more ?

I don't think Drew intended for the meaning to be that Horford will play more PF then C.

He simply meant that Horford will play more PF this year then in the past.....which could be 5 - 15 minutes a night.

Edited by coachx

Horford and Smith only averaged 35 min a game last year!! I would say it will be about the same because our team is very interchangable. I think Marvin or Moe may be the one with a reduced role.

Edited by clicklandshopping

smith will get more pt at the 3 if horford gets more pt at the 4.....has to be! can you really imagine smoove getting less minutes by alot?

Relating to the article stating about horford playing more PF, what I noticed is that the tone of the article seems as if he will be playing BIG minutes at the PF and if so Zaza will have alot more minutes as well. Now leaves Smoove at SF for BIG minutes which would be a concern for most but im willing to take the gamble to see what Smoove can do cause i believe he's capable of playing the 3. The fact that Smoove cant shoot has nothing to do with him playing the 3. As long as he can defend at the 3 than he's good and with a new offense that has more movement and CUTS smoove will fit right in! i mean imagine Smoove on back door cuts!...dunks all day!, but anyhow the real concearn about smoove playing the 3 is if he can defend other 3's in the nba.

there is something we dont know cause looking at the roster and minutes, with horford getting more pt at the 4,things dont add up:

.....................with that said i want to point out that the only reason that smoove will get more time at the SF position is because i dont think his minutes will be cut and if horford is going to play more 4 than smoove's only choice is to go to the 3 of course. Also i want to point out that to me it looks like either mo, bibby, or marvin is on the move. for one if horford and smith aregetting more minutes at the 3 and 4 than again marvin minutes are cut and if marvin minutes are cut mo minutes get cut. then mo will try to find more pt at the sg where we have both crawfords to backup JJ. jamal could play some pg but then bibbs minutes get cut down alot especially if teague starts. so at this time the hawks to me have something up their sleeves we dont know about and they gave us the hint when they said "horford will get more pt at the 4". very confusing on what we are going to look like this season as far as a full team but there is no way they keep all these players on the roster and are able to play them and give them minutes especially if horford is getting more pt at the 4.

What is going through your mind ATL towards horford being more at the 4 and how it plays out to everybody else on the roster?

I think you might be reading too much into it. I think LD saw that we were effective with Zaza and Al playing together, and felt that Woodson didn't use that lineup enough. Hence, we'll see "more" of it. I don't think it means Smoove will be playing much, if any, SF. Al and Smoove are both about 35 minute a game players. I think Horford may move up to about 38 next year. Zaza only got 14 minutes a game last year. I think Zaza will sub in for most of Smoove's 13 minutes, and also get a slice of Horford's bench time. So Zaza might move up to around 18 minutes a game. I'm really not sure how Powell, Twin, or Potential New Center are going to get substantial minutes.

If Smoove does start to see a few minutes at SF, covering for Marvin's rest, then I agree that Mo Evans would probably need to go. That would be too much money to ride pine, and I think you could find a team to take him for a second rounder. This also meshes with the rumor that Pape Sy might be coming over.

I think you might be reading too much into it. I think LD saw that we were effective with Zaza and Al playing together, and felt that Woodson didn't use that lineup enough. Hence, we'll see "more" of it. I don't think it means Smoove will be playing much, if any, SF. Al and Smoove are both about 35 minute a game players. I think Horford may move up to about 38 next year. Zaza only got 14 minutes a game last year. I think Zaza will sub in for most of Smoove's 13 minutes, and also get a slice of Horford's bench time. So Zaza might move up to around 18 minutes a game. I'm really not sure how Powell, Twin, or Potential New Center are going to get substantial minutes.

If Smoove does start to see a few minutes at SF, covering for Marvin's rest, then I agree that Mo Evans would probably need to go. That would be too much money to ride pine, and I think you could find a team to take him for a second rounder. This also meshes with the rumor that Pape Sy might be coming over.

really?

well this is what horford said "[Coach] Larry Drew told me he wants me to play as a 'power forward' next season rather than at center," Horford said.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_teams/atlanta/2010/08/#ixzz0wE3hLbNj

to me that sounds as if LD is trying to certainly move al to powerforward but thats just my speculation of it

"More"

How to define more ?

I don't think Drew intended for the meaning to be that Horford will play more PF then C.

He simply meant that Horford will play more PF this year then in the past.....which could be 5 - 15 minutes a night.

right out of horfords mouth:

"[Coach] Larry Drew told me he wants me to play as a 'power forward' next season rather than at center," Horford said.

Quote:

"Larry Drew told me he wants me to play as a 'power forward' next season rather than at center," Horford said.

Can't get any clearer than that.

That's the best news I have heard all offseason. I hope this means a trade of Smoove is in the works.

really?

well this is what horford said "[Coach] Larry Drew told me he wants me to play as a 'power forward' next season rather than at center," Horford said.

to me that sounds as if LD is trying to certainly move al to powerforward but thats just my speculation of it

right out of horfords mouth:

"[Coach] Larry Drew told me he wants me to play as a 'power forward' next season rather than at center," Horford said.

Good find JTB. That's a head scratcher. Barring some sort of major move, I don't see how this idea makes the team better. I wonder if such a move would inflate or deflate Al's value? Would they really put Marvin on the bench in favor of any of the centers that we have on this roster?