• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

According to yahoo: Hawks could be sleeper for Dampier!

JTB

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-dampierfreeagency091710

Free-agent center Erick Dampier(notes) is finalizing a list of teams he’ll meet with in the near future, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Dampier’s list is expected to be topped by the Miami Heat and Houston Rockets, as well as a potential sleeper: the Atlanta Hawks. Dampier still hasn’t decided how many teams he wants to meet with, but there are multiple suitors for him.

The Heat have been believed to be the favorite, but the Rockets also have been aggressive in pursuit of Dampier, whom they want to play behind Yao Ming(notes). The Rockets say they won’t play Yao more than 24 minutes in a game this season, and will sit him on back-to-back games. Houston has offered Dampier a two-year contract, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Dampier, 35,was traded to the Charlotte Bobcats from the Dallas Mavericks in the offseason, and the Bobcats recently waived him to spare paying the $13 million on the final year of his deal. Dampier averaged six points and 7.3 rebounds in 55 games for the Mavericks last season.

Is this good or bad?

Personally I wouldnt mind his old *ss bein here.LOL anything or anyone would help!

Why would we want Dampier? We'd have an overload of backup centers that can't play. I'd rather have Dampier than Jason Collins and Etan Thomas, but not all 3... so pointless

Can't play? He is still a top rebounder and shot blocker (Per 36 11.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks). Zaza is horrible. If we can get Damp I would get rid of his "intensity" for picks/donuts.

But don't worry he is probably going to the HEAT. He is perfect for them.

Can't play? He is still a top rebounder and shot blocker (Per 36 11.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks). Zaza is horrible. If we can get Damp I would get rid of his "intensity" for picks/donuts.

But don't worry he is probably going to the HEAT. He is perfect for them.

thats what im thinking!

He wasn't good enough for the Bobcats - They released him - And, we want to sign him?

Hawks will have to release someone, wouldn't they? And, how much is this going to cost? :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Dampier could be a logical choice for the Hawks? Really? Convince me. :conversation:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He wasn't good enough for the Bobcats - They released him - And, we want to sign him?

Hawks will have to release someone, wouldn't they? And, how much is this going to cost? :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Dampier could be a logical choice for the Hawks? Really? Convince me. :conversation:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you 1st line shows a basic lack of understanding in this situation but that never stops one from forming an opinion. Being released has NOTHING to do with not being "good enough" to make $13 mill a year. Heck that is more then Smoove or Crawford are making next season.

He was cut b/c he had a rare non guaranteed year on the tail end of his contract (not b/c he was not a good player). He is not worth the $13 mill he was scheduled make.

Rumor is Houston is offering him 2 years at $4 mill total. Seems lock a bargain deal to me. That is cheaper then ZaZa and he is a much better defender and rebounder then ZaZa is. If 2 years and $5 mill gets it done its a win / win for the Hawks. All the Heat can offer is the veteran minimum of aroun d $1.8 mill (I'm guessing). The Hawks can offer part of their MLE but the Heat already spent theirs.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I'm tired of bringing this up in every discussion of Dampier. Go look at his stats for the last 6 years yourself. Then look at Zaza's stats. To say the guy only had one good year or that he has been falling off is just flat wrong. Every season for the last 6 years has looked the same. 20 minutes, 7+rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 7 points per game. Who in our stable of borderline nba centers has been doing that????? And for a top western conference team.

• Like 1