• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Preview Event

Brotha2ThaNite

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested in what the Hawks are talking about to our fans.

If anyone else went to this it would be greatly appreciated to hear more information about this.

I don’t think they want him. There was a guy that brought up the idea of getting a bigger body for D-Howard.

Sund and LD said that Shaq didn’t want to come here. He wanted to start and that just wasn’t going to happen with the Hawks. LD said, “ok if not Shaq, who would you like us to get?” The guy got kind of snappy saying, “I don’t’ know that’s your job. Dampier!” They both looked like, “hell no” lol

They went on by saying they think the NBA is not about the big guy anymore. They said about a couple of years it wasn’t about “Get a big guy to stop D-Howard.” It was “What are you going to do to stop the Big 3 in Boston.” Rick Sund said, “I’m sorry folks, there is just no one out there that we can get like D-Howard. The Magic had to get the 1st pick to get a D-Howard.”

Also, I would like to add this. LD got to talking about how good Al is as a shooter. He said he asked Al to take five 3pts in five different location from the 3pt line. Al took 27 shots and MADE 25 3pts

When talking about MIA LD show a very determine face. He ended it by saying, we ARE not scared and WILL NOT BE SCARED OF THEM. I really love what I saw and heard from him.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite
  • Like 3

I went last night as well but showed up late, the event was awesome.

Someone asked about melo, and Sund said he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't call.

I Asked L.D. bout Jordan Crawford about and he said he look's great

They kind of hinted at they were interested in dampier, but were to impatient to wait for him to be waived, and signed Etan instead.

L.D. said he's to old to get butterfly's about his first game, but he might get nat's lol

Someone asked about Marvin and he said he looks like a completely different player in the new offense

L.D. said Teague had a PHENOMENAL day in practice yesterday.

L.D. said Pape Sy was a huge steal

Said he talked to Joe about his comments towards the fans in the magic series, and said Joe said to him if he could he would take it back.

L.D. and Sund are very cool down to earth dudes, and i have faith in them

GO HAWKS

+1

Thanks for the update.

Care to elaborate on what was discussed 1 on 1 with Sund ?

How many Hawks fans showed up ?

Well just to guestimate around 2 hundred

Edited by IHeartAtlanta
  • Like 3

I don’t think they want him. There was a guy that brought up the idea of getting a bigger body for D-Howard.

Sund and LD said that Shaq didn’t want to come here. He wanted to start and that just wasn’t going to happen with the Hawks. LD said, “ok if not Shaq, who would you like us to get?” The guy got kind of snappy saying, “I don’t’ know that’s your job. Dampier!” They both looked like, “hell no” lol

They went on by saying they think the NBA is not about the big guy anymore. They said about a couple of years it wasn’t about “Get a big guy to stop D-Howard.” It was “What are you going to do to stop the Big 3 in Boston.” Rick Sund said, “I’m sorry folks, there is just no one out there that we can get like D-Howard. The Magic had to get the 1st pick to get a D-Howard.”

Also, I would like to add this. LD got to talking about how good Al is as a shooter. He said he asked Al to take five 3pts in five different location from the 3pt line. Al took 27 shots and MADE 25 3pts

1. Dampier is better then what we have on the bench. I know he is no savior but he is a bench up grade and he would be paid much less then ZaZa too.

2. Sund was cute in saying there is no one out there "like D. Howard." Well no sh*t ! However, there are people better then ZaZa who could stand in Howard's way. Every team runs a lay up drill on ZaZa....its not just Howard.

3. Love the news of Al's perimeter shooting. Would love it if that could transfer to SOME games. Especially when we play Howard. Anything to get Howard out of the paint on defense.

Thanks for the info !

I'm actually a Sund fan and supporter but I call them how I see them.

3. Love the news of Al's perimeter shooting. Would love it if that could transfer to SOME games. Especially when we play Howard. Anything to get Howard out of the paint on defense.

this has always been what i felt we need when playing howard and the other true bigs. we've got bigs to give us 6 fouls a piece per game, but we'd never get anyone good enough to beat them one on one at their game. if we don't have the personnel to go toe-to-toe with the big boys, then we need to exploit our advantages in the differences. if they are bigger and stronger, then generally that means we will quicker. make their bigs run more, draw them out of the lane so others can slash, and just try to out hustle them on defense, getting steals, pass deflections, etc.

I don't know about that..they could always put Howard on Smith.

Then Al can back their PF/SF (they don't really use true PFs too much using Lewis at SF) into the paint.

I would hope so, but I don't have a lot of faith in Al's post game like I used to. I hope it has improved though.

I just thought I would let you guys know how it went.

A few things I learn last night Atlanta Hawks Preview Event, which was one of the best Hawks events I have been to. Hawks GM Rick Sund is one cool dude.

• I talk with Sund & Hawks coach Larry Drew 1on1. They are full of knowledge. Sund can talk all day about the NBA. Both got me convinced. Sund is so much fun to talk with. I mean I really think he would have talk with me all night. Lol

• Rick Sund remains me of an old wise guy that will give you knowledge all day if you would just sit there and listen.

• LD said he will get Smoove off the 3pt line, stop him from crying to the refs (I that is going to be hardest of his tasks lol). He also, said he pulled Smoove into his office and told him he think its time for him to step it up…. I’m putting you as a captain this year. He said Smoove smile and was surprised. “BUT the complaining with the refs gotta stop this year.” Smoove said, “This summer I had a talk with myself about that. ” Everyone LOL

• You will not see the iso Joe Johnson. LD said he will not kill JJ during the season by playing him too much.

• LD told me: One reason for getting Nick Van Exel (Nick the Quick) is to help mentor @JeffTeague at the PG position. AWESOME IDEA! I think Jeff’s game is pretty close to Nick the Quick

• If Jeff Teague plays with the confidence that Nick played with...watch out NBA!

I would rather have Sam Cassell instead of Nick Van Exel. Nick was a great player to watch, but it's almost like bringing in Mookie to be a shooting coach. Nick was far more of a scorer than a PG. I know, some of the samethings could be said about Sam, but he was an efficient player that played with more smarts.

I would rather have Sam Cassell instead of Nick Van Exel. Nick was a great player to watch, but it's almost like bringing in Mookie to be a shooting coach. Nick was far more of a scorer than a PG. I know, some of the samethings could be said about Sam, but he was an efficient player that played with more smarts.

You know, some times you do say some smart things. LOL

Yeah, I like Sam better too. I think Sam is a very good teacher from listening to him talk on shows. But..... DL know Nick better.

• Premium Member

While a new system might be what is necessary for this team to tread water, I cannot imagine it being nearly sufficient for the team to take another step forward.

I have no clue where they're going with the comment about BOS' big 3... BOS may have been dominant at first, but relatively soon, ATL asserted itself and demonstrated that they could compete.

ORL, on the other hand, swatted us away like a fly every time -- preseason to postseason -- that we played them. We didn't even barely have an answer.

Someone might suggest that we've been competitive with them previous to last year. The difference? Vince Carter, evidently. Vince Carter continued in an ORL uni what he'd been doing forever in a NJN uni. Unless Vince's game takes a step backward, there is nothing we've done this off-season that would suggest we're in any better place.

No answer for Vince. No answer for Howard. No answer for Nelson.

No answer.

• Premium Member

Bill Laimbeer II.