• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is is just me, or has Josh Smith made a tweak to his shooting motion?

Antmillennium

As I looked at Josh Smith's shot tonight, it appears to me that he has changed his shooting motion slightly. It seems like he used to pull the ball way back behind his head and then launch it like a catapult. Now, it seems as if he's not cocking the ball back as far, and this has seemed to help his stroke this season. Has he changed his shooting motion, or am I just imagining things?

Edited by Antmillennium

As I looked at Josh Smith's shot tonight, it appears to me that he has changed his shooting motion slightly. It seems like he used to pull the ball way back behind his head and then launch it like a catapult. Now, it seems as if he's not cocking the ball back as far, and this has seemed to help his stroke this season. Has he changed his shooting motion, or am I just imagining things?

Yup, I noticed the same thing. The jumper is slightly tweaked, but the more noticeable change is his free throw routine. If you watch closely, he tucks his left arm behind his stance. Looks tacky, but hell, if it goes in, why complain?

• Premium Member

Actually...

Go back if you can find them and look at his high school tapes. Theres a few clips of him shooting from the free throw line and his form looks exactly the same. From the very start I've said that his set shot looked goo. The motion and follow through are smooth. When he was hitting long range shots here and there a couple of seasons ago, I made the comment that it wouldn't be awful if he took them occasionally. I still don't mind that shot, but not when we're fighting to keep a lead or clawing back in the game. We need real shooters taking those shots, not Smoove trying to prove something.

Yep...I was thinking that a bit...he seems to have shortened his stroke...good catch.

• Premium Member

Actually...

Go back if you can find them and look at his high school tapes. Theres a few clips of him shooting from the free throw line and his form looks exactly the same. From the very start I've said that his set shot looked goo. The motion and follow through are smooth. When he was hitting long range shots here and there a couple of seasons ago, I made the comment that it wouldn't be awful if he took them occasionally. I still don't mind that shot, but not when we're fighting to keep a lead or clawing back in the game. We need real shooters taking those shots, not Smoove trying to prove something.

People wonder why Smoove tries to handle the ball and shoot so much. They forget he was projected as a SG at the next level while he was in highschool. If you watch those highlights or footage in general, he was actually a pretty good ballhandler and shooter back then. I thought it was odd that he looked so raw during his Rookie season when he had such a nice skillset in highschool. I have noticed that the more 'comfortable' he gets during a game, he looks a lot like the skilled, dominant player in his highschool highlights.