• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Declined Thompson For Teague

suiluap

Solomon Jones, another one of the long list of bums in Atlanta Hawks history.

• Premium Member

Leave it to Hawksquawk to call Jason Thompson a poor man's Solomon Jones.

Actually, I called Jones a poor man's Jason Thompson. Which he is. I'd give Solo the slight edge on defense; because yes, Thompson's defense is that bad; at least Solo blocks a shot every once in awhile. Defensively, I'd say Solo is a 4 and Thompson is a 1.5 (I'm actually struggling to think of ANY worse interior defenders in an NBA rotation). Offensively, I'd say Thompson is a 6 and Solo is a 2. Rebounding, Thompson is a 5 and Solo is a 3 for a PF/C. Their relative strengths and weaknesses are pretty similar - both have mediocre bball IQs and their positives derive almost entirely from being quite athletic for their height.

Thompson is battling Darnell Jackson for the honor of being the 4th big man in Sac's rotation. Solo is (less successfully) battling Josh McRoberts for the honor of being the 4th big man in Indiana's.

Both suck. Thompson just sucks less than Solo.

Edited by niremetal

I can see 2 reasons why we wouldn't make this trade. The first is that Jeff Teague, as our only backup PG, is a lot more valuable than a guy who has struggled to get playing time under 2 coaches and wouldn't start for us or provide much of an upgrade over our backups. There's also a chance that Sund is holding on to Teague because he'll have to include him in a deal for a starting caliber PG.

I wouldn't mind acquiring Thompson but I wouldn't give Teague up yet for anyone other than a sure fire starter at PG.

I can see 2 reasons why we wouldn't make this trade. The first is that Jeff Teague, as our only backup PG, is a lot more valuable than a guy who has struggled to get playing time under 2 coaches and wouldn't start for us or provide much of an upgrade over our backups. There's also a chance that Sund is holding on to Teague because he'll have to include him in a deal for a starting caliber PG.

I wouldn't mind acquiring Thompson but I wouldn't give Teague up yet for anyone other than a sure fire starter at PG.

PRETTY MUCH AGREED WITH THIS AND I SAY THE HELL WITH IT WHATS WE GET RID OF JC1 AND TEAGUE(IF WE DO) WE NEED TO START DEVELOPING THE HELL OUT OF SY AND JC2

That's why it won't go down.

I don't have any confidence in Teague to develop into anything more than a mediocre backup, but with only one pure PG on our roster, who happens to play fewer minutes each game, and Teague as the only backup PG, he ain't getting traded without us getting a PG back in return.

• Moderators

PRETTY MUCH AGREED WITH THIS AND I SAY THE HELL WITH IT WHATS WE GET RID OF JC1 AND TEAGUE(IF WE DO) WE NEED TO START DEVELOPING THE HELL OUT OF SY AND JC2

I wouldn't make any personnel moves based on freeing up time for JC2 or especially Sy. We have much higher priorities than developing a french league bench player.

I disagree. Thompson in his rookie year had almost identical numbers to Al in his rookie yr. (same year)! Generally, pgs and wings can come in and contribute while bigs take time. Teague has potential and yes he was a player we knew we would have to develop, but Thompson already plays not only a more important position but better. He SHOULD remain better than Teague although I admit Teague has the more upside at his position. Still, I don't see Teague as a true PG so his "position" is hazy and regardless he isn't living up to it quickly.

Regardless of whether we do O-R don't make this trade WE STILL NEED A STARTING PG! Teague is just not cutting it and Bibby's time is past (albeit he has a 15-20 MPG role with this team). If we trade Teague at worst we can find a reasonable offer for a BU quality Pg somewhere.

Thompson is a potential future 15/9/1.25BPG player. While this would not supplant JS, it is MORE VALUABLE than Teague is and likely will be and while people hem and haw over JS at the 3 (IMO often wrongly) an frequent frontline of AL/Thompson/JS is formidable. Similarly JJ at the 3 for periods would work (depending upon whether we trade Crawford.

As far as BU to starter Pgs available...Crawford for Hinrich, Marvin Williams for Jerryd Bayless (huge upside)/Quincy Poindexter, Aaron Brooks, Calderon? Without researching this I'm not finding as many answers...

It's not a landslide, but I'd rather have Thompson than Teague at this point.

W

• Like 1

dumb move by Sund although we give up a pg, Thompson has the potential to be a stud. I don't see the comparison with Solo. Thompson can actually score the ball and rebound, Solo has virtually no offense to his game. Thompson has a similar game to Horford and would be the 3rd best option up front after Smith or Horford we got him.