• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marketing 101: Attendance

Joker

you should probably stop arguing about this.

LOL. I'm definitely going to stop arguing this as its pretty clear the point will forever go over your head and you aren't interested in a legitimate conversation. I'll go back to talking to the adults. I am secure in my knowledge of statistics and economics and I couldn't care any less if the real world application conflicts with your Talk Radio version. Anyone who has read this thread knows how ridiculous you sound. I'm very content to let your words stand on their own.

Thats a change of -15% in attendance using the midpoint formula since you can get different results if you change the direction of calculation. This resulted after the Hawks increased ticket prices by 1.1%. Thats an elasticity of demand around -13.97
Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

I agree with you evilinkblot. I don't know how to make people care more about the Hawks in absence of them either having a superstar or them being considered championship contenders. (and those things of course tie into each other) People here didn't grow up with the Hawks to make them feel like they are missing out if they don't see them live as a matter of habit.

That's just it, Spot. Many folks here have come to the realization that the Hawks don't have such a superstar on their roster and haven't for a long time. Those who weren't around in Nique's heyday have never seen this team play with a marquee-level player, and we all know that without such a guy, the Finals are pretty much a pipedream. So those folks who aren't as emotionally tied to the franchise as we are run off to Foot Locker for Kobe/Lebron jerseys while the rest continue following their hometown teams. And for this town, that covers a TON of people who aren't going to feel compelled to step foot in Philips when the Lakers or Heat aren't in town.

As I stated before, the Hawks can go 54-28 and few will care outside of the folks on these boards because of the lack of a marquee player. The 'sum of its parts' formula may work in football but it rarely moves the meter in the NBA, where championship teams are built around franchise guys (the Pistons being the lone exception). But don't take my word for it; just ask Steve Smith or Mookie how packed the Omni was when the Bulls or Magic (with Shaq) weren't here. They'll testify....

Edited by Dejay

spotatl and niremetal, this isn't a first for hawksfanatic. He is quite the legend in his own mind when it comes to stats. He put me on the filter after a stats argument similar to this one when he finally realized he was wrong and couldn't respond. You might be amused by it.

He tried to say that Smoove's big fall off at the line was due to signing a new contract. Then he laid out a specific set of criteria about players falling off from the foul line and asked us to come up with examples that weren't contract related. Then AHF came up with several players who fell off badly from the line but hawksfanatic completely rejected them because they didn't meet his exact criteria (i think it was a 10% fall off year over year).

He was like a hunter that sets a trap and gets caught in it. It was pretty funny and from then on he has had me on the filter.

link

• Moderators

Then AHF came up with several players who fell off badly from the line but hawksfanatic completely rejected them because they didn't meet his exact criteria (i think it was a 10% fall off year over year).

I had forgotten all about that thread but that wasn't the reason they were dismissed since three of them were:

1995-96 Nick Anderson .692 (seemed to be more mental than work ethic related)

1996-97 Nick Anderson .404

1994-95 Dennis Rodman .676 (I won't opine on the mental state of the worm)

1995-96 Dennis Rodman .528

2006-07 Chuck Hayes .618

2007-08 Chuck Hayes .458 (for his career Chuck has gone .644, .618, .458, .400 and Hayes has a huge work ethic)

Get a real team. Look at the Falcons now and when Vick was here. Give us a team we can be excited about.

Completely agree. We also need real owners.

I think a lot of owners in many leagues are pretty content with just owning a team and making enough money. As long as they make a profit, they don't care if they win/lose. Then you have real teams, Yankees, Phillies, Patriots, Lakers, Celtics, etc who WANT to win.

Our management will always be the reason for a lackluster squad. I hope they're driven by money enough to sell the team to an owner who cares.

The ASG haven't skimped on the team- they ahve been willing to spend. What they ahven't been willing to do is to pay the luxury tax and I can't say that I blame them. I think it makes sense to pay the tax for a championship contender and this team is more than a MLE player away.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 2