• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Smoove in LD's Doghouse?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Smoove didn't start the 3rd quarter of the heat game. We need Smoove but then again, we don't need his attitude. If he is truly in LD's doghouse, there's the possibility that he's up for trade?

OK, I was thinking about this trade:

IF Washington is truly in give up mode..

Smoove/Craw for McGee/Arenas/Thornton.

Here's the deal: Wall + Smoove + Blatche = Helluva future.

Arenas + Joe + Horf = Helluva present.

I hate Arenas' contract. I hate Arenas' injury. I hate that Arenas had the gun charge. BUT.... Arenas + Joe + Horf would make an outstanding trio.

• Moderators

I don't think Smoove is up for trade. This is how you establish discipline and get guys playing the right way. You have repercussions to poor play and behaviour. I know we are NOT used to that here with the Hawks but its the way good coaches operate. I don't think it at all means LD wants him gone. He just wants him to play better.

I think its Teague, Zaza, Marvin, Mo, Jamal who are all on the block.

• Premium Member

I don't think Smoove is up for trade. This is how you establish discipline and get guys playing the right way. You have repercussions to poor play and behaviour. I know we are NOT used to that here with the Hawks but its the way good coaches operate. I don't think it at all means LD wants him gone. He just wants him to play better.

I think its Teague, Zaza, Marvin, Mo, Jamal who are all on the block.

The problem is that Smoove is a vet. There are some players that won't unlearn certain things. I think Smoove is going to be hard headed until he stops playing. For any coach, Rookie or best that gets old. Before it becomes too obvious that Smoove is being "Disciplined" I think Sund would trade him. We still have the mismatching of him and Horf and Horf did ask to play more PF... and play beside a big.. and Zaza and Powell are not the worst thing. In fact, in all seriousness, this is Powell's chance.

• Premium Member

Smoove didn't start the 3rd quarter of the heat game. We need Smoove but then again, we don't need his attitude. If he is truly in LD's doghouse, there's the possibility that he's up for trade?

OK, I was thinking about this trade:

IF Washington is truly in give up mode..

Smoove/Craw for McGee/Arenas/Thornton.

Here's the deal: Wall + Smoove + Blatche = Helluva future.

Arenas + Joe + Horf = Helluva present.

I hate Arenas' contract. I hate Arenas' injury. I hate that Arenas had the gun charge. BUT.... Arenas + Joe + Horf would make an outstanding trio.

They said the reason Smoove didn't start the 3rd quarter was because he got hit in the eye and when the camera panned to him when he came out of the locker room, I could tell he got hit pretty good.

As for the trade, I don't know if I would go for that one, but I will say that I would'nt be oppossed to exploring a trade. I think Horford can be a great power forward if given the chance. However, as long as the Hawks continue to play two power forwards (one undersized) as their main big men, they will continue to be a weak rebounding team and a finesse team. That combination will always make sure you go home early during the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

They said the reason Smoove didn't start the 3rd quarter was because he got hit in the eye and when the camera panned to him when he came out of the locker room, I could tell he got hit pretty good.

As for the trade, I don't know if I would go for that one, but I will say that I would'nt be oppossed to exploring a trade. I think Horford can be a great power forward if given the chance. However, as long as the Hawks continue to play two power forwards (one undersized) as their main big men, they will continue to be a weak rebounding team and a finesse team. That combination will always make sure you go home early during the playoffs.

I agree with you about rebounding but the question is are we more effective with a front court of Marvin-Smoove-Horford or Marvin-Horford-Zaza. Sure we'b be better with Marvin-Horford-Howard but that ain't happening. To me if Smoove is gone and we have a Marvin-Horford-Zaza/whoever then that assures us and 8th seed and first round sweep.

I know Horford wants to play the 4 but how effective will he be when he's not being guarded by big slow centers?

Before the season, I was all for Arenas because it looked like he could be had for nothing. I still think that's the case, but I think this team needs MATURE vets. Arenas is Smoove part 2. He's immature and very selfish at times. Yes, he's a much better scorer, albeit far less effecient. I'd rather see the Hawks move Smoove for a mature vet if they move him at all. Who that is reamains unknown to me right now, but that's just my opinion.

• Moderators

Before the season, I was all for Arenas because it looked like he could be had for nothing. I still think that's the case, but I think this team needs MATURE vets. Arenas is Smoove part 2. He's immature and very selfish at times. Yes, he's a much better scorer, albeit far less effecient. I'd rather see the Hawks move Smoove for a mature vet if they move him at all. Who that is reamains unknown to me right now, but that's just my opinion.

Arenas is also a big risk to get injured or suspended. Count me out for all the reasons I've mentioned before.

• Premium Member

I agree with you about rebounding but the question is are we more effective with a front court of Marvin-Smoove-Horford or Marvin-Horford-Zaza. Sure we'b be better with Marvin-Horford-Howard but that ain't happening. To me if Smoove is gone and we have a Marvin-Horford-Zaza/whoever then that assures us and 8th seed and first round sweep.

I know Horford wants to play the 4 but how effective will he be when he's not being guarded by big slow centers?

Good point, but if the Hawks traded Smoove, you know they would demand and get good value in return. So, Marvin, Horford and ZaZa might not be the exact front court as the Hawks could get a really good 3 or 5 in return. Also, I think Horford showed during Marvin's injury and on other occasions that he can be really outstanding at his natural position.

Good point, but if the Hawks traded Smoove, you know they would demand and get good value in return. So, Marvin, Horford and ZaZa might not be the exact front court as the Hawks could get a really good 3 or 5 in return. Also, I think Horford showed during Marvin's injury and on other occasions that he can be really outstanding at his natural position.

I'm just glad we never traded him for a guy like Kaman, Oden, Chandler, Bynum, Yao , etc. who just can't stay healthy.

I agree that the Hawks need a defensive big but there are not may good centers who can stay healthy in the entire NBA. I've just about given up on getting one. PG and SF are easier to upgrade through trade.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I'm just glad we never traded him for a guy like Kaman, Oden, Chandler, Bynum, Yao , etc. who just can't stay healthy.

I agree that the Hawks need a defensive big but there are not may good centers who can stay healthy in the entire NBA. I've just about given up on getting one. PG and SF are easier to upgrade through trade.

I agree that pg and small forward are probably the positions the Hawks should look to upgrade with high impact players. I think if you can find a solid center with legit size who's willing to do dirty work and be physical, that's the route to go. I don't think the Hawks need to find some all-star guy at that position. Just a good role player. Simply sliding Al back to his natural position and acquiring impact players at the 1 and/or the 3 spot will make the Hawks a better and more balanced ball club.

Knowing ASG cheapness it will be more like Smoove for Dalembert (expiring) and a 1st (good range pick).

They won't re-sign Smoove because they're too cheap.

They won't re-sign Marvin because they're too cheap.

They won't re-sign Zaza because they're too cheap.

They won't re-sign JJ because they're too cheap.

They won't give Al an extension because they are too cheap.

:beathorse:

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it doghouse. Drew does the right thing showing what he expects and what he won't tolerate. It is yet to be seen if this message finds its way, but Josh is not a bad guy, just very emotional, and has problem with seeing his skills in the proper light.

Sure, he won't change drastically, but maybe with time the balance between good and bad attitude shifts further towards the good.