• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are 24th in attendence!

Wurider05

check out this from John Hollinger's chat on ESPN.com from earlier today

you'll like this

John (Daejeon, South Korea)

How valuable is Horford in terms of trade assets, considering his position and that he is locked up for the next five years after this? He can score from the block or facing and doesn't need the ball much to be effective.

John Hollinger

And, since nobody has mentioned his name yet, he's also the answer to my item above. Al Horford leads all NBA big men in EWA this year -- not Howard, not Amare, not Gasol. And the top frontcourt combo? That would be Al Horford and Josh Smith. Atlanta's bigs are carrying them and it will be a shame if they miss the All-Star Game because a few doofuses still think it's Joe Johnson's "team", whatever that means.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36233

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm thinking we're seeing a shift away from this being JJ's team. He hasn't exploded for a big game this year, but Horford has had some very efficient games and has been a rock for us this season. If Horford got the ball more I could definitely see him taking over some games. He needs to start demanding it more, I think he's been in the league long enough and earned his right to speak up to some of the vets.

As for the attendance......what's new? I figured it would be bad this year because it's basically the same team and nothing new really happened over the offseason to spark attendance. Are fans have ADD. Unless theirs something exciting happening (i.e. a nice new signing, a star in town from a visiting team, making the playoffs for the first time in many years, etc.) their just isn't that much appeal that seems to bring the average fan to a game.

If Stern gets contraction to happen, Us, Cleveland, Memphis, and NO might be in trouble.

more like Cleveland, Memphis, NO, and maybe Minnesota will be the ones in trouble not us. our Attendance numbers are bad but the Hawks are one of the oldest teams in the NBA plus our TV numbers. I don't see stern making that mistake twice. It would much worse than Seattle, trust me. But I honestly don't see any teams even getting contracted maybe moved, i.e. Vegas - N.O.?

I agree on the attendance issue. There was no moves made by the Hawks (and nope, Etan Thomas and Josh Powell doesn't count) to stir the masses into buying tickets. At the same time, the Falcons are winning big and we all know that football is king down here. Even the Thrashers made some moves and are seeing their numbers go up. I think that the numbers will improve after football season is done but not much until they finally get some REAL players down here.

The fanbase is very skittish toward spending on this product, especially when they know that they essentially have no serious shot in the playoffs, as last May painfully proved. They're in complete 'show-me' mode and that won't change until they get a name here and/or get beyond the second round. Anything less and be prepared for lots of empties come spring. Just ask the Braves how lonely it can get when fans stop believing in you...

I agree on the attendance issue. There was no moves made by the Hawks (and nope, Etan Thomas and Josh Powell doesn't count) to stir the masses into buying tickets. At the same time, the Falcons are winning big and we all know that football is king down here. Even the Thrashers made some moves and are seeing their numbers go up. I think that the numbers will improve after football season is done but not much until they finally get some REAL players down here.

The fanbase is very skittish toward spending on this product, especially when they know that they essentially have no serious shot in the playoffs, as last May painfully proved. They're in complete 'show-me' mode and that won't change until they get a name here and/or get beyond the second round. Anything less and be prepared for lots of empties come spring. Just ask the Braves how lonely it can get when fans stop believing in you...

The Falcons are 20th in attendance. Basketball moves in Atlanta, just not the Hawks. The Falcons attendance has never been great in their history without Vick. The Thrashers actually could be the best attendant team in Atlanta %wise if they showed consistency in winning. Their first year and playoff years had some of the highest % in the NHL.

Was there a reason why it would've been high before he arrived? Did you check out their history before then? The Falcons being 20th in the league has more to do with the size of their building than no-shows at the gate nowadays. Sure they get there late, but it's better than not showing up at all. Besides, most NFL places are sold out so a few no-shows can skew the rankings...