• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heard about the big Hawks trade?

Gray Mule

Exactly. And look at situations like Dunta Robinson. He was a big mistake on the Falcons part. Now they can't go after guy like Asumougha in Oakland.

I disagree b/c he filled a major need immediately. The Falcons would not have won the NFC South or been a #1 seed without DR. He is a solid starting CB who helped this team get the easiest possible road to the Super Bowl....they just came up short.

Using your logic any team that does not win the Super Bowl made bad free agent signings b/c there is just the possibility they could have waited a year and signed a better player. I don't subscribe to that line of logic but to each their own.

There is no guarantee the Falcons could get Asumougha in 2011 and that would have thrown the 2010 season down the crapper for a "maybe." Williams and Owens are not starting NFL CBs.

The point is that I don't expect Blank to tie Dimitroff's hands b/c of money when it comes to bettering the Falcons roster and filling holes. With the Hawks we expect the opposite. We expect the ASG to tie Sund's hands when it comes to money. Being a Falcons season ticket holder, I want the team to try and get better every year and I don't want the owner's money getting in the way of my entertainment. That is why I'm a Falcons season ticket holder and not a Hawks season ticket holder.

I'm done careing about an owners money.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

How do you miss the obvious point. The point is not that the Falcons or Braves are better then the Hawks. The point is that both of the Falcons and Braves make major moves to better their clubs after playoff failures rather then repeating the same madness over and over.

The point is so basic and simple.

No, I got the point. People complain about the Hawks not making moves and then compare them to the Falcons and Braves. Those teams make trades, acquire players, etc but what do they have to show for it? The ASG will make a trade when it makes sense to do so. There are such things as bad trades you know. Remember the Babcock era???

• Like 2

The point is don't expect Blank to tie Dimitroff hands b/c of money when it comes to bettering the Falcons franchise.

I would bet you that would probably be a different situation if there was a luxury tax in football where you had to pay $2 for every $1 of salary and that money were shared with the teams under the tax line like in basketball. Granted I don't know the Falcons like I know the Hawks or even the Dolphins so maybe Blank would be like Cuban and a few of the owners in the NBA but I bet he'd be a little more hesitant with the money he's spending if they had the same rules that Sund and the ASG have to play by.

On the other side of things if the NBA didn't have a luxury tax I would feel absolutely confident that the ASG would be spending a lot more money than they do, unfortunately they're just not in a financial position to lose the tax money from the league as well as to pay the tax themselves.

• Like 1

No, I got the point. People complain about the Hawks not making moves and then compare them to the Falcons and Braves. Those teams make trades, acquire players, etc but what do they have to show for it? The ASG will make a trade when it makes sense to do so. There are such things as bad trades you know. Remember the Babcock era???

So any move is as move if it does not equal a championship ? Is that your point ?

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I will say that finishing with the best record in the NFC is more of an accomplishment than the Hawks have had since the season they traded Nique.

I really hate having to defend my position in this thread, because I've been a die hard Falcons fan since childhood. But, the Falcons get a pass around here. The Vick fiasco, some poor personal decisions, player arrests etc. All this is forgiven. The Hawks have a bunch of good guys who stay out of trouble and win at an above average level until they get to the final 8 teams of the NBA. Yes they make mistakes and yes they play the game at a different level then the Lakers, Magic etc. But, I still applaude them for how much they do with so little. When the Braves were the Yankees of the National League we only got 1 championship. It is hard to win a title. Money isn't the only issue. And as someone stated before, there are bad trades. Maybe standing pat is the best move considering the offers we have.

• Like 1

:stop:

Does any of us really believe that the Hawks front office, whoever is in charge of this,

will dare to make a trade? If we do, we are set for a great dissapointment. :mark:

No, well, at least I don't believe the Hawks will do anything. They are content to sit on their hands and get embarrassed in the playoffs again. Putting Larry Drew at head coach is self evident.

• Premium Member

The Hawks are the most hated team in Atlanta. That's all this thread shows. If we consider the 21st century, the Falcons nor the Braves have done anything to be considered better than the Hawks. It's just that there has been a great fan distrust of the Hawks since Babcock. Even when Babcock was GM, he tried to make fans trust him and the team. Remember the guarantee. The point is that fans are more able to get behind the Braves (scarcely, even after 14 pennants in a row) and the Falcons because:

1. Football is America's game.

2. Braves have 1 championship.

It has now been 1 & 1/2 seasons since the franchise has made a significant addition to this team. Draft picks #19 and #27, who don't even play, are not significant additions and minimum salaried veterans as not considered significant either.

I can understand standing pat if I'm the Lakers or Spurs and have multiple rings but not with just two second round playoff sweep dissapointments. The Hawks have had the exact same starting roster for 3 full seasons now and the results are not getting any better.

You can count on the Falcons to make 1 major move every off season:

2008 - Signed Michael Turner - top RB in that years FA class and RB was a primary need with Dunn being through.

2009 - Trade for Tony Gonzalez, greatest TE of all time. That was the Falcons primary weakness on offense at that time

2011 - Signed Dunta Robinson - top FA CB in that years FA class. CB was the Falcons primary weakness on defense.

I know its apples and oranges but they are still fruits / sports.

Allow me to edit myself.

After the first 2nd round playoff sweep Sund did add Jamal Crawford who won 6th man of the year. That was an excellent and the type of addition the team needed.

Unfortunately that did not equate to 2nd round playoff success. With a healthy roster and the Crawford addition the Hawks are then swept from the 2nd round again........and there have been no moves.

I'm sure Sund is talking but his hands are tied in that he can't flip expiring contracts for longer contracts without going into the tax. That shrinks his pool of possible trades.

How'd that work out for the Falcons? Good reg seasons, out in the Playoffs. At least the Hawks made it to the 2nd rd. Just sayin. And you could compare Dunte Robinson's contract to Marvin, Bibby, and Zazas, in terms of performance vs. pay. And btw, we all know Sunds hands are tied. Just like BK's was. Why cant we just have 1 owner? OMG! Edited by terrell

How'd that work out for the Falcons? Good reg seasons, out in the Playoffs. At least the Hawks made it to the 2nd rd. Just sayin. And you could compare Dunte Robinson's contract to Marvin, Bibby, and Zazas, in terms of performance vs. pay. And btw, we all know Sunds hands are tied. Just like BK's was. Why cant we just have 1 owner? OMG!

13 - 3

NFL South Division Champs

#1 Seed in the NFC Playoffs with home field advantage.

I'd say it worked out very nicely.

I refuse to subscribe to the logic that the 31 teams who don't win the Super Bowl should not try to make their teams better and just stand pat.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I think were at the point where we are evaluating everyone and if we dont get out of the 2nd rd well we will make serious changes .

Trading Crawford does nothing because teams wont give us the premium but will instead try and steal him from us by offering scrubs.

If we dont make it out of the 2nd rd we will choose two of our starting five to keep trade the rest and consider resigning Crawford as a key bench contributor depending on his asking price.

Our starting 5 for having played together so long plays with no sense of urgency ,no passion . We talk about how young they are but look at how often they come out flat when was the last time we saw them play with some serious bounce and spring in there step from the start of the game . They are the oldest young team Ive ever seen . When I watch OKC and look at how emotional and raw that young team is I cant overlook that something is missing from our squad . Unless this team can somehow recapture that you keep two and use the rest to try and get that back .

Shouldve did Smoove for Amare last year

"something is missing from our squad." We need to find a Westbrook.

• Premium Member

Orlando is debatable...

Heavily debatable. I'm pretty sure nobody here feels that the Hawks are going to get destroyed everytime they play Orlando like they did the past few seasons. The fear just isn't there anymore and I think that trade had a lot to do with it. Right now, my only concerns are Boston and the Heat, and even the Heat are so-so despite the star power. There's just something off about the dynamic of that Heat team. Orlando is still a good team, but I think they made a lateral move or may have even taken a step back as far as chemistry is concerned. Those types of moves are like mid-season coaching changes. They energize the team and fanbase for a few games, then things settle back down. I'm pretty sure Sund and the ASG are aware of this because they keep mentioning not making lateral moves or change for change's sake. I'd love to see them get into the action, especially with all of these trade rumors going around(Carmelo, Curry, Deron?), but I can understand their perspective too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

13 - 3

I refuse to subscribe to the logic that the 31 teams who don't win the Super Bowl should not try to make their teams better and just stand pat.

I'm pretty sure nobody has said that. At least not in this thread. I just think peaople are saying the team shouldn't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. Oh, and the Falcons were a major disappointment, I'm sorry dude. You don't finish with that good of a record, get home field advantage, and then get DESTROYED in your first Playoff game on national TV and call that a 'nice' season. I'm pretty sure blank and Dimitroff wouldn't call that successful. Using the argument you just made for saying the Falcons had a 'nice' season, you should feel really optimistic about the Hawks then. At least they've taken advantage of homecourt advantage in the Playoffs the last two seasons.

13 - 3

So its ok for the Falcons to have a good reg season and get embarrased in the Playoffs, but it's not ok for the Hawks? Hmmmmm? And btw the Hawks didnt stand pat. They hired LD, and signed JJ, who was the best sg in FA. Edited by terrell

I'm pretty sure nobody has said that. At least not in this thread. I just think peaople are saying the team shouldn't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. Oh, and the Falcons were a major disappointment, I'm sorry dude. You don't finish with that good of a record, get home field advantage, and then get DESTROYED in your first Playoff game on national TV and call that a 'nice' season. I'm pretty sure blank and Dimitroff wouldn't call that successful. Using the argument you just made for saying the Falcons had a 'nice' season, you should feel really optimistic about the Hawks then. At least they've taken advantage of homecourt advantage in the Playoffs the last two seasons.

Here is the point.

Did the Falcons stand pat after the 2009-10 season or did they try to strengthen their weaknesses ?

They made moves to get better.

Were they better in 2010-11 then they were in 2009-2010 ?

Of course they were.

Were the Falcons one of the teams favored to win the 2011 Super Bowl with this season started or when the 2009-10 season ended ?

No.......but the team make moves to get better

At least they are taking steps to better the team each and every off season. No one is saying make a trade just to make a trade. It goes without saying that we would not make a trade that made the team worse. The only reason to make a move is to get better.

Edited by coachx