• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Great Horford article

Jody23

• Premium Member

It looks like everyone agrees that Al should be playing PF. What center can we get that will make it worth while?

A Kendrick Perkins type guy would be great I think. They don't necessarily need an all-star center, but a guy who has good size, can rebound and play good position defense. Now, don't get me wrong. If Dwight became available after next year and the Hawks could get him, a front line of Howard and Horford is title worthy.

Edited by Jody23

Al Horford is an All-Star center, but his father, Tito Horford, would prefer to see him at his natural position.

"I’ve been begging [general manager] Rick Sund and the Hawks for the last three years -- please get a center so my son can pay his normal position," the elder Horford said. "He can’t push guys out of the box like I could. If he moved to forward, he would have a longer career."

Atlanta coach Larry Drew agrees that Horford would be a force as a power forward.

“He’d be a beast,” Drew said.

Horford has taken a beating, particularly on the defensive end. Drew is trying to minimize the issue by going with a “big” lineup about 40 percent of the time: Horford moves to power forward, Josh Smith to small forward, Jason Collins steps in at center and Marvin Williams goes to the bench.

Drew admitted, “I’ve even thought of making the change permanent.”

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=35

• Premium Member

I'm surprised more people are not taking this as a backhanded way of father and son telling Sund to trade Josh Smith.

I'm surprised more people are not taking this as a backhanded way of father and son telling Sund to trade Josh Smith.

It would not break my heart if it better rounds out the roster for the greater good with similar or equal talent at positions of need (PG/C).

Its not like its breaking news. We have known for years that a PF/C combo of Smoove / Horford can't last forever. That frontline is just not built for playoff success.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Name of external link

"I’ve been begging [general manager] Rick Sund and the Hawks for the last three years -- please get a center so my son can pay his normal position," the elder Horford said. "He can’t push guys out of the box like I could. If he moved to forward, he would have a longer career."

Atlanta coach Larry Drew agrees that Horford would be a force as a power forward.

“He’d be a beast,” Drew said.

Horford has taken a beating, particularly on the defensive end. Drew is trying to minimize the issue by going with a “big” lineup about 40 percent of the time: Horford moves to power forward, Josh Smith to small forward, Jason Collins steps in at center and Marvin Williams goes to the bench.

Can a father's pleadings make something happen??

• Premium Member

It would not break my heart if it better rounds out the roster for the greater good with similar or equal talent at positions of need (PG/C).

Its not like its breaking news. We have known for years that a PF/C combo of Smoove / Horford can't last forever. That frontline is just not built for playoff success.

These are the real questions:

1. Can you trade Smoove for More Balance?

2. Will you get back equal value?

Well, the answer to #2 is NO.

Although we may see it as Smoove is out of position, Owners see it as Smoove is very marketable and home grown.

Unfortunately, the owners fail to see that it's not working.

What sells better than anything else is winning. Not winning in the reg season only, but winning and being a threat to win out. Well, Orlando is not going to give us Howard.

That means that if we move Smoove for a C, the most plausible moves are:

1. Smoove for Biedrins.

2. Smoove for Hibbert.

Although we may see it as Smoove is out of position, Owners see it as Smoove is very marketable and home grown.

Unfortunately, the owners fail to see that it's not working.

What sells better than anything else is winning. Not winning in the reg season only, but winning and being a threat to win out. Well, Orlando is not going to give us Howard.

1. Smoove for Biedrins.

2. Smoove for Hibbert.

That my friend will never happen.

But I do believe that we can get Haywood from Dallas.

That my friend will never happen.

But I do believe that we can get Haywood from Dallas.

Yep.....that was brought up last week. Now that Bulter is hurt and Marion is struggling they might could use Marvin.

Marvin

for

Haywood

I'd do it.....Dallas may balk due to Tyson Chandler's injury history.

Edited by coachx

The other question....given that the answer to #2 is NO:

3. Does better balance with slightly less over all talent equate to a better team / more wins ?

1. Smoove for Biedrins.

2. Smoove for Hibbert.

If those are "plausible" then we have to include Chris Kaman as well. Not saying I'd do that trade but I'm just showing the center limitations through trades.

I can't see Josh Smith on a team where Larry Bird is the GM. Bird is in the last year of his contract though.

.........and then there is the Marvin for Haywood possibility that is probably not very likley either.

Edited by coachx