• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Interview

AHawks89

"I think I'm definitely underrated" Josh Smith in this month's SLAM Magazine

No other Atlanta Hawks player is more of a lightning rod for universal praise and criticism than Josh Smith. No other player on the roster has the individual athletic talent that Smith possesses. It is his decision making and mercurial personality that is most often called into question. It is also those latter two qualities that have seemed to keep him off the NBA's All Star team for the last two seasons.

In this month's SLAM Magazine, Demarco Williams talks Josh Smith at length including his many positives as well as the few negatives that always tends to pull him down. Is Josh Smith under appreciated in his home town? Just this week when Larry Drew mentioned lineup changes or a roster shaking trade, Josh Smith's name quickly came up. So I beg the question, is there another player in the league that can be supremely loved one night and hated the next by his home team anymore than Josh Smith?

I don't have the answer but do have a theory for the cause. I am not sure there are many other players that can impact a team's fortunes both positively and negatively than Atlanta's own Josh Smith. We have seen the flashes of brilliance over the course of his seven seasons and at the same time seen the regressions. No one questions Smith's work ethic and it has been on full display this season in what might be his best statistical year yet. After shooting a paltry 61% from the free throw line last season, Smith is shooting nearly 74% this season. That is a remarkable improvement that doesn't get a whole lot of mention.

It is his shooting from places other than the charity stripe that get the most mention. Smith started this season shooting the perimeter jumper better than he had previously in his career. The fear was that he would fall in love with it failing to suppress the temptation when the situation called taking the ball inside. The numbers show that he shooting has improved, but the also show that he is much more effective inside the paint.

Williams talks with Smith about his emotions and his on court interactions with officials and sometimes even his own coaches. Smith sort of dismisses that talk with Williams and this in my opinion sums up the next great step Josh Smith has to take on his way to becoming a franchise type of player.

"I don't mess up my game [with emotion]," Smith claims. " I have grown as a player, and I'm getting better every year. Wearing my heart on my sleeve doesn't affect my game at all. I kind of think it gets everybody involved when they see how passionate I am about the game."

When things are going well I agree with the above statement 100%. The same thing doesn't hold true when things are going bad however. It is at that point that the bad shots, bad body language, and poor effort seem to become much more of the norm. Smith may not want to admit it but we have seen his emotions take him out of a game on more than one equation. That is still his biggest hurdle that he has yet to overcome. It is easy to forget that he is just 25 years old but even he calls himself a veteran now. The transition is to be made into making veteran decisions.

As I said earlier you have to be careful with what you wish for in terms of Josh Smith. I don't think any other Hawks player directly impacts the game more than Smith both good and bad. It is easy to become frustrated watching him because his talents are so easily visible. Where he is most underrated is in his importance to the Hawks defensively. His presence alone changes the way teams attack the Hawks and that is very easy to see when he is on the bench. After all only someone with supreme talent could be labeled both the solution and the problem to a question.

I think we can all agree on this. It seems like the writer of this article reads our board because he points out everything we say.

Link.

Edited by AHawks89

Wow, was this article even proofread? There were too many awful mistakes that people just shouldn't be making in a magazine article.

As for the article, I'm tired of hearing that Josh is only 25. Dude has been in the league over 7 years now...Josh is what he is. He has had plenty of time to play to his strengths instead of his weaknesses. And guess what...he flat-out refuses to do so.

If he ever, EVER learns to do so, I guarantee you that he would instantly become one of the most well-liked current Atlanta sports players...and indispensable on-court talents.

• Like 4

To add on more about ft shooting, Horf is next to last among the Bigs overall that play 30 or more minutes a game. The last guy on that list attempts 1.2 free throws a game and I will let you guess who that is. The hawks are 7th in ft % and next to last in attempts to a western conference team you can probably guess.

Horf is the best mid range shooter on the team but has abandoned his game near the basket. He shoots to well at the line to not attempt atleast 5 a game.

To add on more about ft shooting, Horf is next to last among the Bigs overall that play 30 or more minutes a game. The last guy on that list attempts 1.2 free throws a game and I will let you guess who that is. The hawks are 7th in ft % and next to last in attempts to a western conference team you can probably guess.

Horf is the best mid range shooter on the team but has abandoned his game near the basket. He shoots to well at the line to not attempt atleast 5 a game.

He doesn't get enough plays for him, so how's he gonna draw fouls?

"I don't mess up my game [with emotion]," Smith claims. " I have grown as a player, and I'm getting better every year.

Uhm....No. No on all 3 counts. He's dillusional.

His emotions make it easy for opponents to get him off his game. He still argues EVERY non foul call and he lazily mopes back up the court the following play.

He has not grown as a player. He still thinks he's a PG. He still doesn't know how to utilize his talents the most effective way. The recent fine/obscene gesture shows how much he HASN'T grown.

He's not getting better ever year. IN '07 he avg'd 17 ppg. This year is 16.

In '06 he avg'd almost 3 blocks per game. This year 1.8. Last year he shot

50%...this year 47%. Does he even look at his stats before proclaiming how he's "getting better every year?

• Like 1

I didn't get to watch the game last night, but looking at the box score, looks like Josh Smith dominated the game. 11-17 with 28 points and went to the line.

What happen to everyone else? Wow, Horford was 8-15, with no free throw attempts? That has to change.

Joe Johnson 4-14, Jamal 1-9?

With all this talk going around about benching people and what not, looks like Josh was the only one that was listening.

• Like 1

He doesn't get enough plays for him, so how's he gonna draw fouls?

Josh Smith 4.1 attempts per game

Marvin Williams 2.8 attempts per game

Al Horford 2.6 attempts per game

It's no coincidence that they have career years scoring when free throws are high:

Josh: 17.2 ppg 2008(5.8 fta)

Marv: 14.8 ppg 2008(5.1 fta)

"I don't mess up my game [with emotion]," Smith claims. " I have grown as a player, and I'm getting better every year.

His emotions make it easy for opponents to get him off his game. He still argues EVERY non foul call and he lazily mopes back up the court the following play.

He has not grown as a player. He still thinks he's a PG. He still doesn't know how to utilize his talents the most effective way. The recent fine/obscene gesture shows how much he HASN'T grown.

50%...this year 47%. Does he even look at his stats before proclaiming how he's "getting better every year?

I would +1 you but I am afraid Gearon is delusional too. If the boss is delusional, no surprise the employee is as well.

Honestly, Josh Smith is what he is at this point. I don't see him getting any better than what he is. He'll forever be that borderline All Star. He won't make the All Star game unless his team (be it us or another) has the best record in the league or he plays with Chris Paul/Deron Williams/Steve Nash/etc. He just doesn't possess the scrappy nature he needs as an undersized PF. He also doesn't possess the handles to be a slasher from the wing.

• Moderators

So this just seems to prove the author's point. Non of this is true yet its thrown out as fact.

Opponents do NOT easily get him off his game

He certainly does not argue EVERY non foul call

Does Horford 'think he's a PG'? I see him leading the break.

And I'm not seeing him lazily mope back up the court more than anyone else in the league

The oscene gesture was a stupid celebratory dance. Half the league does stuff like that. I'll admit it was stupid but i'd call this immature if he was flipping off the crowd. This is just a non-issue.

The stats are a good point, but why does every discussion about Smoove have to include so much hyperbole that it evolves into 'he's so dumb'?

• Premium Member

I hate how Hawks fans use him as the scapegoat after ever loss. Stay consistent Hawks fans!