• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I have boycotted the Hawks until change happens

RT3

It was back in early January when I realized stopped watching all the Hawks games due to extreme frustration. I am a passionate basketball player and fan of the Hawks, but I was letting the Hawks losses affect my entire day! It wasn't the fact that they were losing, but it was the way they were losing, and the team's lack of accountability. Add to that the management's lack of looking to get involved in the trade market to find a real worthwhile trade for the organization such as a starting point guard or center (If they were doing so, they weren't letting the fan's know, which is equally important if you are a fan).

I am the type of person who enjoys watching the Spurs play because their efforts and team play, while some others call the team boring. The Hawks were exciting a couple years ago when the players were newer to the team, and were still growing. They have now gotten to the point where, with the exception of Boss, they are in status quo. It's tough watching them play and get blown out by teams at home. Thankfully, I made the decision in January to stop caring whether or not they win anymore because it wasn't worth the frustration when they would lose games to teams that they should have easily won. The management and Sund are in denial that this 'CORE' is going to take us past the second round of the playoffs. Either that, or they just really don't care if we are in contention for the championship. Now that I watch the Hawks just for entertainment and laughs, it is much easier to turn off the television when they are playing bad, or playing poor basketball, and I no longer feel frustrated for the rest of the evening after a poor loss. Anyone else feel the same, or consider doing the same?

Once the Hawks decide to improve the team, or at least act like they care about improving the team, I will start watching every game again!

Here's a great article that sums up everything about the Hawks needing change and the Mgmt being in denial.

http://blogs.ajc.com...anta_hawks_blog

I 100% agree with you. Until I see another point guard other, I will probably not watch them as much. I am definitely not going to any more games. This organization has to know that we are in need of point guard and have not made a move yet.

• Moderators

I don't understand why you watch in the first place. By my count there are probably 5 teams that have a legitimate shot at a championship this year. Plus a couple dark horse candidates. Does that mean that the other 20+ teams are in denial or don't care about winning? I totally understand you not watching if it frustrates you in an unhealthy way but it seems like we all have an expectation that owning a team is like playing a video game. Its much harder to make the right moves at all much less when it involves millions of dollars.

I'm not saying ASG is the greatest ownership group in the world, but they blew up a team and returned it to competitiveness. I can understand not wanting to throw that all away. We aren't past the trade deadline yet. The way i look at it last year and the first half of this year has gone well. This is where we want to be. In the top half the of playoff race and having some flexibility to make a trade. I'll be VERY surprised if we stand pat.

• Like 3

i been thinking about boycotting this team too. This team is looking like a first round exit team even if we get the 4th seed we will have to face a really good team like the magic or bulls. Its only a matter of time b4 this team really starts declining teams in the east r getting better. All of the top teams in the east have made moves to get better but we stayed the same which really frustrates me

Edited by yungsta

i been thinking about boycotting this team too. This team is looking like a first round exit team even if we get the 4th seed we will have to face a really good team like the magic or bulls. Its only a matter of time b4 this team really starts declining teams in the east r getting better. All of the top teams in the east have made moves to get better but we stayed the same which really frustrates me

Ok, we're not contenders. But let me say something i've said again and again : do you think a team can be better without good fan support ?

Gone with the weather

I won't boycott the Hawks. When I do get frustrated with them I do take sometime away from them. I can fully understand the frustration you have with this team. This team should be talked about as a Championship contender by now. They are the least respected team among those in the playoff contention in the league.

Ok, we're not contenders. But let me say something i've said again and again : do you think a team can be better without good fan support ?

Gone with the weather

Thanks but I've been with the Hawks since 2000 when I first moved here. And yes they sucked for many many years. I even stuck with them through Antoinne Walker, who I can't stand. But my point is that my passion for the team seems to exceed the passion that the players show on the court. I won't say names of players so this doesn't turn into one of those threads. It starts with the team (players and management) caring about winning, before the fans. And I am not getting that from neither (some of the players). Before in the past it could be taken as immaturity or lack of team chemistry, etc. They have now exceeded that point being together for as long as they have. I know people will have their different views on this, but I posted this to see if anyone else feels the same, not opposite. I see that others feel the same way, and the team is getting stale. This explains lower attendance this year, and a continued drop off of fans if the Hawks don't act like they are really interested in winning beyond the first round. Isn't that the point of having a team after all?

No one cares if you guys are "boycotting"

Y'all will hop right back on when we get back on track...

No one cares if you care lol The point of this thread is to see if others feel the same frustration. You can start the no one cares if you guys are boycotting thread and it won't hurt my feelings lol

• Like 1

I won't boycott the Hawks. When I do get frustrated with them I do take sometime away from them. I can fully understand the frustration you have with this team. This team should be talked about as a Championship contender by now. They are the least respected team among those in the playoff contention in the league.

This is a good/ constructive post. Thank you. Instead of an immature one like 'who cares' or you're lame', thank god you're not part of management, etc. I should of used a different term rather than 'boycott' as I mentioned I plan to watch without caring whether or not the team wins the game. I have definitely taken time away for a while though, and watched a couple games here or there. Instead I have been going to the gym and working out or playing basketball, which is a better stress relief than sitting there watching some of the Hawks players, play without heart in some of their games. And you are right that the Hawks are least respected among those in the playoff contention in the league, and there lack off effort and the obvious holes in their defense and lack of team offense are among the biggest reasons. Why don't we have a rival as someone posted in another thread? It's because we are not a threat to the teams who are actually in the mix for a championship. Yet the Hawks want to claim that the core is the group that is going to take us to the next round.

Edited by RT3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Hawks have until Thursday until more people start co-signing this thread. Hawks organization do you see how sick the fans are of this team? Last night wasn't even frustrating to watch anymore, it was just plain boring.

Make it happen Hawks *skeptical*

Gone with the weather

Do you think a bad team deserves a good fan support? it's ppl's money & they would spend it in what they think is worth. If they want fan support they most support the fans. They have till tomorrow.

• Like 1

I did not renew my nba league pass for the 1st time since I started buying it around 1996 or 97. Ive been watching a ton of soccer and its been great. Its not the Hawks that is the problem with me, I just cant stand the nba anymore. It really has turned into crap that leaves me with a higher frustration level than any enjoyment I could get out of it,..

• Premium Member

I understand and agree. I won't boycott the team though. I've been watching the team for decades now and I don't intend to stop. Ever. I'm still going to buy tickets and I'm still going to watch the games. That being said, I'm going to release my frustration with this club. The problems go beyond adding or subtracting a player and really need some serious attention.

Problem 1) Ownership. These guys are too concerned with the bottom line. It is painfully apparent. It's not because they're cheap. It's because they just don't have the finances to push this thing like it needs to be. They need to sell the team or infuse it with a power investor.

Problem 2) The rebuild FAILED. 2004, 2005, and 2006 were failed drafts. This hurts the worst because we had a chance at some very serious names and came away pretty much empty handed. We should have tanked in 2004, no need to rehash the Marvin debacle, and 2006 was another wasted opportunity. We gave up too much for JJ and were lucky that we didn't give up Horford. Damn lucky.

Problem 3) CULTURE. There is an air of mediocrity surrounding this team. There is a stain of averageness and IRRELEVANCE that has kept us out of the eyes of the big time free agents. It has even affected the perception of one of THE best small forwards in the history of the league - who should have undoubtedly been one of the league's top 50 players. The team has done nothing in 40 years.

What is necessary - NEW OWNER(S)/New Money, new management, demolition of the core or MAJOR talent infusion (we're talking CP3, Howard, etc. here.), new marketing, new attitude, culture change...

In short - we need a bona fide commitment to winning.

...but what do we know? This ain't nothing but the same sh!t we've been saying for YEARS.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Does anybody remember the owners emails? I remember I sent Gearon and Levinson some emails during the Josh Smith free agency offseason about my displeasure on how they were handling things. Of course I'm nobody to them but it did feel good to let them know how I felt. If we are, the fans, aren't happy about the way they are handling things we should try and let them know.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Do you think a bad team deserves a good fan support? it's ppl's money & they would spend it in what they think is worth. If they want fan support they most support the fans. They have till tomorrow.

I understand the frustration, but the Hawks are a 'bad' team now? To be honest, the Hawks aren't even mediocre. They're actually a good team that absolutely needs a trade to get better and compete with the elite teams in the league. That trade has to be for a PG. This team needs a PG in the worst way. An assertive, floor general type that can push tempo, defend, and that won't defer all the time(just dribbling up the court and handing the ball off). The problem is that means trading away a player of value and I think that is what Sund and the ASG are balking at. Or, they may have a list of targets ranked in order of want/need and are talking with other teams as we speak. Either way, I wouldn't get too worked up until AFTER the trade deadline has passed. But I think something will get done, because this team looks kinda dead in the water, like they've reached their ceiling. They'll win 50 but not impress much during the Playoffs. I'm pretty sure Sund has been around the game long enough to know this...or at least I hope he knows this. :cant believe: