• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Opinions on SJax signing?

JTFan31

My opinion is I think now we know who will be our starting 5. With the signing of Jax we are now solified in every position. Yes Jax is not the scorer that Big Dog was when he was here but he is very solid and can score 10-12 ppg and that is what we need from him. He is versatile, he can shoot, drive, rebound well and play D. I much much rather have Jax a young, talented player than Nailon starting at the 3. I think we are good to go and I believe this team can definitely push for the playoffs, WHY NOT?

I believe the new owners have done a fantastic job in their first couple of weeks of being Hawk owners by re-signing JT and Dion and signing Jax. 2 thumbs up for these guys and the Hawks looking like they are going in a good direction entering the season.

• Admin

from a casual fan perspective, it will be big. Simply because he played for the Champs last year and played a big role in their season.

From a real fan perspective I don't think he's going to fit well here. He just isn't going to get the same looks here that he got in SA.

My sources have been telling me for weeks that chances were high of him being a Hawk. I didn't want to believe it, even when I reported it earlier today.

• Premium Member

My opinion is that SJax is better than Nailon. I'm not really sold on SJackson's talent. I think he's one dimensional and won't help with the ball handling, however, having another shooter on the floor with JT is good. There's going to be a lot of pressure placed on Glover. He's got to produce and be a constant threat to score otherwise, he and Theo need to be traded for a guard and C.

• Admin

He is actually a decent defender which is good.

He can shoot and score 10 -12 points which is also good. He still does not answer our needs which is ball handling.

Our swingmen still can't carry the ball (DG and Jax). That means once again that JT is the sole ball handler on the floor. I hope that Diaw develops faster then expected because I thing he is going to play an important role this year.

He isn't the cream of the crop, but who else was left out there? I would've loved to have Smitty back, but how long would be be able to contribute? I think most people here, including myself, wanted him back for sentimental reasons. Bottom line, the SJax signing was a pure basketball decision. I won't sit here and say he'll tear the league up, but he will work better in our starting lineup than Big Dog. I think the players will know their roles a lot better with this team as opposed to last season, and they'll know who the go-to guy is. I see an very athletic team, who will run up and down the floor and capitalize on turnovers. Obviously, the bench and defense will be the key. But if our new guys (Diaw and Hansen) and do their parts, this team will contend for a playoff spot. I think Billy Knight and Co. made the best out of this offseason they could. Considering the awkward circumstances and whatnot, Atlanta has gone from a hopeless franchise to one who has some direction in a matter of weeks...

J

Stephan Jackson brings clutch championship experience to a team with no one that has any championship experience.

That in itself is big!!!!

I know he wasn't the man in SA but he did start and he did contribute. He actually contributed majorly in several playoff games.

We are still several players away from anything special but at least we are trying to add some depth.

It is funny....he was actually highly touted along with Kobe Bryant out of High School.

Now we need to cut Crawford....He is taking an unused roster spot.

Actually I am not sure SJ is a big upgrade over a healthy CC (granted a healthy CC may be an urban legend). While SJ is athletic and can hit an open 3, he will have to improve his ballhandling and fundamentals in order to solidify his role as a starter. I hope the prior reports I have read about his pouting and immaturity from SA will not surface here b/c this team cannot afford bad chemistry with the questionable overall talent level.

I think I like the idea of this signing more than the signing itself. It can be helped if we put Diaw with SJax and JT as often as possible to releave some of the ball handling pressure. I also think it will work because we will now have more defined scoring roles: 1. SAR, 2. JT. 3. Dion/SJax. No Big Dog jumbling it up. And all of those players will have to be respected.

Defensively he doesnt give us as much as Ira but more scoring.

Who was it that did the quick substitution thing. I think the early 80's pistons.

Diaw (just let him handle the rock still only gets 12 minutes)

JT (splitting ball handling duties)

Jackson

Sar

Theo

Then 5 or 6 minutes in bring in Dion to finish the 2nd and start the 3rd. (Subing for Diaw) He gets starter minutes but broken up.

This gives you JT and Dion on the floor together for only a couple of minutes in the 2nd/3rd.

Then Bring in DD/JV to spell JT

Nazr for Theo and Hendu for SAR.

DD (or Vaughn)

Dion (still gets 24 minutes a game)

Nailon/Hansen (Or Crawford)

Hendu

Nazr

A little more scoring in that second group than last year, and more defense in the first group.

It's just a thought

I have a feeling he won't contribute nearly as much to the Hawks as he did for the Spurs. He just doesn't have the guys around him.

A decent defender - yes.

A good shooter - when cheated off of I suppose.

The funniest thing is his quotes from this afternoon. "This is where I wanted to be from the beginning" ???????????

Yeah right.

http://www.hawkszone.net

It will be more difficult for Jackson, not having post player supreme in Duncan but we got a pretty decent post player in reef and his size and athleticism should cause more problems in the east than it did in the West...and I think he is more of a 3 than a 2, but is Glove's ballhandling ability ok at the 2? ..he is definitely a better ballhandler than GRob. I think JT is a better PG than Parker. IF JT had Duncan and Robinson playing with him, he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Kidd.

price. What's not to like? The guy certainly isn't perfect but he is young and athletic and he's a pretty good perimeter shooter. He has a chance to get a lot better. He will probably start at SF but he should get a lot of run at SG as well. Hopefully, he will slide to SG when Dion goes to the bench and either Nailon, Diaw or CC will come in at SF. As I said, Jackson is not a perfect but he is talented and this team needs all the talent it can get.