• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If ASG and Management are on their way out...

Guest Squawker

An owner who willing to trade everything for Dwight Howard or Lebron James.

I'll take anyone who has deep pockets and wants to own a team for reasons other than "the entertainment value". According to the "esteemed" Mr. Gearon that's the "NUMBER ONE REASON " he and the others own this team. Heard it in person from his own lips.

To Mr. Gearon a.k.a. "Pinochio" : Winning against quality teams is entertaining. What I have have seen this year is not. Time for you and your cronies put your respective tails between your legs and slink away .... preferably quickly and quietly .... before you ruin this franchise permanently!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Shortlist I posted earlier:

James Kennedy, Cox Enterprises (AJC, et al.) heir and CEO

Coby Brooks, Naturally Fresh (Hooters) CEO and heir

Pete Kight, computerized bill pay pioneer

Gary and Randall Rollins, Orkin brother heirs

Frank Argenbright, rebounding security CEO

Aleksander Szlam, call center software patent holder

Scott Dorfman, direct-to-consumer product distribution CEO

Ron Brill, Home Depot “Original Four” member, retired

Bert Ellis, media/technology consultant and investor

Bill Nuti, NCR CEO

Duane Ackerman, ex-BellSouth CEO

John Alm, Kimberly Clark CEO, ex-Coca Cola Enterprises CEO

Tyler Perry, media mogul

~lw3

[

Tyler Perry, media mogul

~lw3

YES! I want Tyler Perry to buy the team and rename them "Tyler Perry's Who Are The Atlanta Hawks?"

For real though, John Kincade claims to have a scoop on a single buyer who wants all 3 entities (Hawks, Thrashers, Philips.) He really seems to be staking his rep on it, so I'm anxious to see if it pans out.

I'll take anyone who has deep pockets and wants to own a team for reasons other than "the entertainment value". According to the "esteemed" Mr. Gearon that's the "NUMBER ONE REASON " he and the others own this team. Heard it in person from his own lips.

To Mr. Gearon a.k.a. "Pinochio" : Winning against quality teams is entertaining. What I have have seen this year is not. Time for you and your cronies put your respective tails between your legs and slink away .... preferably quickly and quietly .... before you ruin this franchise permanently!

Agree. Cosign. Concur. I approve of this message.

All Gearon did was confirm what many of us knew all along. That they ran the team under the guise of it being 'decent' but not having a chance to seriously compete. As long as they made the playoffs, they can get a few extra $$$ from the gate. When that isn't enough to draw, they turn around and fire away at the very fans who stuck with them when they had Tony Delk and Tyronn Lue riding shotgun in the backcourt.

The only reason they handed JJ that kind of $$$ was because they knew that their status quo of being a 'decent' team would be uprooted, especially given that they have no track record of building through the draft (the Williams boys, Childress, and Acie Law ring a bell?). Only when things are clearly at the point of desperation do they move on ANYTHING, which explains why they have the reputation of being one of the most reactively run franchises in all of pro sports.

I want a deep-pocketed owner who demands greatness from the team(s) he owns and doesn't settle for mediocrity. Say what you want about Arthur Blank, Mark Cuban, and the late George Steinbrenner but I know one thing; their teams did far better with them at the helm than the ones preceeding them. That's a fact.

Anyone know anything about Jim Kennedy? He looks like the only person on that list that would be interested in buying the teams. Blank is caught up in building a stadium. Marcus has shown no interest in sports teams, but a lot of philanthropy. Cox Chambers, maybe, but I don't know anything about her. Truitt Caffy also doesn't seem to have any real interest in sports...

Also, Kennedy is worth 6 billion. Those are some deep pockets to help the teams.

• Moderators

Out of that list I posted earlier, Kennedy is probably the only one with pockets deep enough to be a single-buyer (maybe the Hooters guy, but I believe the amount of Brooks' inheritance is tied up in the courts). There's been cases in the past of hometown-newspaper-and-team under the same roof (Cubs & the Tribune come to mind), and one can imagine an odd swap from skepticism to homerism by our columnists, but if it this singular owner could improve the focus and direction of the team, that will be worth the trouble.

Truett Cathy's company is weathering a publicity hit at the moment, but it's the South and they'll get past it. I imagine one of his surviving kids would be more likely to have interest in acquiring the team with inheritance money, as I believe he's pushing 90 years of age and if he was ever remotely interested we'd have heard about it by now.

~lw3

Out of that list I posted earlier, Kennedy is probably the only one with pockets deep enough to be a single-buyer (maybe the Hooters guy, but I believe the amount of Brooks' inheritance is tied up in the courts). There's been cases in the past of hometown-newspaper-and-team under the same roof (Cubs & the Tribune come to mind), and one can imagine an odd swap from skepticism to homerism by our columnists, but if it this singular owner could improve the focus and direction of the team, that will be worth the trouble.

Truett Cathy's company is weathering a publicity hit at the moment, but it's the South and they'll get past it. I imagine one of his surviving kids would be more likely to have interest in acquiring the team with inheritance money, as I believe he's pushing 90 years of age and if he was ever remotely interested we'd have heard about it by now.

~lw3

I guess I was digging for information about them as Atlanta sports fans. Have any of those on the list actually shown interest in the Hawks and/or Thrashers? For example, I doubt Blank would be interested as he's stated in interviews that his first love is baseball. If Blank was going to buy another team, it would be the Braves (and wouldn't that be good news). However, I doubt AB is going to be purchasing any teams until he gets his stadium built for the Falcons.

I have a name...

Hugh Connerty

Could be an interesting marriage.

Looks like he was interested in NASCAR for a while, so he has something of a sport bug in him. From the Google search, it appear he's a real estate guy, so that would explain the develop around Phillips angle. Good dig up on that one D.