• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching Candidates for the Hawks.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Aside from all the other flaws, I think the major flaw is coaching. IF our guys think that no one has to do the hard things, then the coach has to go.

So..

Who should we consider.

Here's what I say:

Doc Rivers.. then Jeff van Gundy...

Jerry Sloan and Lenny Westhead are available.

My guy Paul Westhead and Del Harris are out there.

Larry Brown is available but NO WAY.

So if we can't get Rivers or Van Gundy...

My choice would be:

Sam Mitchell, Allan Bristow, or Brian Hill.

Sam Mitchell is a joke.

And at what point do you think the Celtics are parting with Rivers in the near future? He's considered leaving the CELTICS because of his family. Zero chance he's in Atlanta.

Jeff Van Gundy....do you really see this team reacting well to JVG? I personally don't.

At this point you're probably best off trying to grab a top tier college coach or even a different assistant (Patrick Ewing, Lawrence Frank?) would probably be a better option than any of the above (Rivers would obviously be better but he's not available).

But hey, I do agree Larry Brown could potentially be the worst choice of the lot. That's gotta count for something.

Aside from all the other flaws, I think the major flaw is coaching. IF our guys think that no one has to do the hard things, then the coach has to go.

So..

Who should we consider.

Here's what I say:

So if we can't get Rivers or Van Gundy...

My choice would be:

Sam Mitchell, Allan Bristow, or Brian Hill.

Allan Bristow? What is this 1992....lol..

Mitchell sucks.....Hill sucks......Van Gundy sucks......Rivers is awesome but we won't get him anytime soon...:-(

This Hawks team drains me much like the 04 team that went 13-69....in a different way though I guess...

1.Marc Jackson: Familiar face and a little hype/interest

5.Sam Cassell: From afar he seems like someone who has passion to teach the game

4.Tom Izzo: Decent level of hype, you would think he can teach guys that do not know how to play how to play, but would cost the most of all guys I suggest

2.Bill Laimbeer: Would be great because he is proven and is simply looking for a chance so he would not be asking for too much cash just a oppurtunity

3.Jeff Van Gundy: Minor level of hype and interest maybe he could help with the passion and be a very quotable guy like his brother.

My candidate - Marynell Meadors. She's already proven she can teach a bunch of girls to play like boys.

This would be my second choice if we can't get Pat Summit from Tennessee. A winning coach

for many years. Top motivational coach. I've heard from people who know that she's capable

of cursing like a sailor. She wouldn't take crap from the big boys and if they didn't mind what

she told them, then they would get to sit on the bench and contimplate their navel.

Pat has everything the Hawks need in a coach. If we can't get her, get someone else who fits

in this mold.

:clapping:

So..

Who should we consider.

Here's what I say:

Why would any of those guys want to be the lowest paid coach in the Nba?

This is a relevant discussion. I'm beginning to believe that the Hawks will be sold to one of these big investors. According to the AJC there are 3 groups looking to buy the Hawks, Thrashers and the operating rights to Phillips. Two of them are groups, and one is a single guy. The guy is from Atlanta and wants to keep all the teams in the city.

If the Hawks get new ownership, you would have to think they'll get a management make-over and that would spell the end of the Drew experiment.

On my list would be:

JvG

Fratello

Whomever they bring in, he needs to have some pull with the players. I'm not sure a first year guy would have that. The biggest thing I want is a coach that can get some energy, passion, and toughness out of this bunch of marshmallows.

• Like 1

This makes me sad, because I know LD won't be fired, he still has another year on his contract. And probably will be signed again after that as long as we have this current ownership. Before we get better coaching our ownership needs to change.

• Premium Member

Allan Bristow? What is this 1992....lol..

Mitchell sucks.....Hill sucks......Van Gundy sucks......Rivers is awesome but we won't get him anytime soon...:-(

This Hawks team drains me much like the 04 team that went 13-69....in a different way though I guess...

How do you get Mitchell Sucks?? He is one of the only coaches available with over 45% winning percent for his career and he did it with the flaw that is known as Toronto.

He is also a former coach of the year. His firing was because they traded the team for Jermaine Oneal and Oneal sucked. It was a terrible trade looking back. INdy thanks Toronto for Roy Hibbert.

Point is Smitch did a great job with very little. He's one of the only coaches who has shown that he can have a top ten offense and an above average defense and a good efficiency differential.

Drew is under contract for next season. I cannot see the ASG paying 2 head coaches in 2011- 2012.

Drew is under contract for what? $155k?

Drew has the contract of somebody who will be fired.

• Premium Member

Agreed .What is a new coach gonna do for a team where the bigs

can't rebound, the guards cant shoot, and the sf has 2 left feet..

New coaches always bring in new mindset. To answer your question... Look what Byron Scott did with NJ?

Their big men were Jason Collins and KMart.

Their guards were Jason Kidd and Kerry Kittles.

Their main backups were Luscious Harris and Todd McCollouch.

What can a new coach do... Check Scott to NJ... 2 time EC Champions is what a good coach can do.

Check out what Doc Rivers did in Orlando.

His top scorer was Darrell Armstrong.

He also had Chucky Atkins, Bo Outlaw and Ben Wallace.

He took those guys from being Jokes to being .500 on the season.

Here we go! I have been saying this all season long and no y'all are starting to jump on my bandwagon. Thankfully others are actually sick and tired of LDs passive coaching approach.

Whats the deal with Rivers? What makes yall think he will just step away from the Celtics?

Doc wants to be back in the south. Something tells me if the right people are involved, Doc will leave his aging team and come here. All this talk about us going after CP3 and Howard. If Howard is a long shot, maybe Rondo??

If we could get Doc & Rondo I would love the direction.