• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lets go get Deke

Admin

NJ has bought out his contract and he is now a FA. You can never have too many shotblocking centers on your team and he could come in and still be our best rebounder on the team. I know he is slow and getting up there in age, but he says he can play another 4-5 years. I say lets sign him and get Nazr moved for Battier. That would really set the table for us this year.

In reply to:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets have reached a tentative agreement to buy out the contract of eight-time All-Star center Dikembe Mutombo, a deal that is believed to be worth approximately $30 million.

Nets president Rod Thorn and David Falk, Mutombo's agent, brokered the deal on Saturday. It probably will be finalized Monday, Thorn said.

The move saves the Nets about $7 million in salary owed to Mutombo through the end of next season, and it gives the four-time NBA defensive player of the year a chance to find a team where he can contribute.

It was unlikely Mutombo would play much with the two-time defending Eastern Conference champions.

"This is basically a salary-cap decision on our part," Thorn said Saturday evening. "We have depth at that position. Deke looks terrific. I don't have anything but good things to say about him."

Thorn tried to trade Mutombo this summer, but there were few takers with $37 million still left on his contract.

Mutombo's one season in New Jersey was a major disappointment for him and for the team. He didn't fit in early with the team's up-tempo style, and he never found a role after tearing a ligament in his right wrist in November and being sidelined for 56 games.

Mutombo, who averaged 5.8 points and 6.4 rebounds in 24 regular-season games last season, said the move was purely monetary.

"It's part of life. It happens," Mutombo said. "I gained a lot of friendships, but I never thought about getting hurt before. It's too bad the injury created so much doubt in people's minds."

Mutombo, who is 37, thinks he can play another four or five years.

"I know a lot of teams are interested in me," he said. "I'll find a home some way."

Nets coach Byron Scott, who was annoyed when Mutombo complained about his lack of playing time in the playoffs, said the 7-foot-2 center has looked good in practice this week.

"All things considered, the way he was playing the first two days, he was going to have a big role on our team," Scott said.

That seems questionable with the Nets' roster. Jason Collins and Aaron Williams handled most of the work at center after Mutombo was hurt, and New Jersey added Alonzo Mourning as a free agent in the offseason.

"I didn't see if it was going to make life easier just because Deke is gone," Scott said. "I didn't think it was going to be a problem."

The Nets shipped Keith Van Horn and center Todd MacCulloch to the Philadelphia 76ers after being swept by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2002 NBA Finals.

Mutombo was seen as the final piece of the puzzle for the Nets, who were dominated by Shaquille O'Neal in their first trip to the championship round.

Mutombo had played well against O'Neal in the finals the previous year.

Before last season, Mutombo had missed just 28 games in his first 11 seasons.

What if....Now this is purely speculation guys but

Since Utah is in Need, Could we Unload some contract to Utah (Say Hendu or CC) for little to help them get to the salary minimum...etc.

Then Sign Deke for a one year deal with a player option. Line up like so.

JT

SJax

SAR

Ratliff

Deke

This would greatly improve the interior D. You could Easily Rotate Deke and Ratliff's shifts offset by 4 minutes (One out at 6 minutes, one out at 10 back in at 2 minutes into the 2nd and 6 minutes in to the 2nd). This is a phenominal defensive team with JT's steals, Jackson/Ratliff/Deke on the floor at the same time.

When one or the other isn't in, SAR rotates to the 4.

Now go with a second lineup of

DD/JV

Dion

Diaw/Hansen

Nailon

Nazr

Of course that second group would not all be on the floor at the same time.

The only problem I see with the first group is a need for interior passing but God Almighty do we clean the glass and get put backs on bad shots and force other teams to shoot from the outside. This frontcourt defensively could actually match up with the Lakers Front court.

When is the last time you heard of a team being able to slow/stop the lakers/spurs inside game.

no. forget Deke. he's wrong for this team for so so many reasons...and moving Reef to sf is a similarly bad idea, as is moving SJax to sg...

let Deke go to a team that can use him...and for his sake, I hope he decides to stay in the East...for ours, I hope he goes to the West...

~though the idea about someone trading some bad contracts to Utah is a good one, but really, who do they have that you'd trade for?~