• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Atlanta Respect Joe Johnson?

MrRyda

A few things struck out to me today in my travels around Atlanta. In a city that usually appreciates its mainstays, a 5-time all-star is still relatively anonymous.

Exhibit A:

Spotted at my local Walmart clearance rack today. This bad boy was wearing a $7 tag and hanging directly in front of Mike Bibby and Warrick Dunn jerseys. Call me a sucker, but with a gift card to burn, I said why not.

imag0240bk.jpg

imag0238e.jpg

Exhibit B:

While loitering around the Georgia Dome after WrestleMania tonight, I happened to pick up an issue of Atlanta Now Magazine from the service desk. Something seemed a little odd about one of the captions.

imag0241a.jpg

imag0248g.jpg

Exhibit C:

And lastly, at my local Citgo, somebody has committed the heinous crime of stealing Joe's shirt. Is this Photoshop or is Joe really that ripped? :scratchhead:

imag0214f.jpg

Coming up tommorow: Mike Woodson teaches Coach Larry Drew how to properly groom his facial hair.

Edited by MrRyda
  • Like 2

LMAO at Exhibit B. I did a triple take.

And, yea at exhibit C, that is Joe.

joejohnson-455x327.jpg

He's always been pretty jacked for such a poorly conditioned player.

Dont know why people seem to think this. Im pretty sure he's one of the better conditioned players on the team.

Edited by Frenzy

This team really needs CP3 or Dwight Howard. Joe can stay but with one of those guys on the roster.

I wouldn't call it disrespect. It's just that nobody cares about him. Jersey sales are a good indicator. You'd find many more Ryan or Heyward jerseys and t-shirts around this city than Johnson. Atlanta clings to stars who factor in on a national scale. Matt Ryan has a sparkling record, historically, for a quarterback of his age. That gathers attention. Jason Heyward, the hometown phenom, ignites the season with a home run, again. Joe just doesn't capture attention or makes you take notice for something he did out of the ordinary at all. A 50 point game would make him considerably more popular than he is, but that isn't possible.

• Like 1

If JJ could just for once playoff actually play well then I could see more fans embracing him. He does his usual disappearing act when games matter. Whether you say the city of Atlanta deserve it or not. Making the playoffs is no longer going to cut it in Atlanta anymore. Fans here want Championships. I call it the Braves backlash.

• Like 1

Dont know why people seem to think this. Im pretty sure he's one of the better conditioned players on the team.

It's a running gag that stems from this beauty:

Joe was due for a signifigant injury in his career, so I'm not surprised, especially with his awful athleticism and questionable conditioning. The flu would have this dude out for a week.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/353830-damaged-goods/page__p__481466__hl__benhillboy__fromsearch__1#entry481466

• Like 1

I wonder if espn is still using a picture of Donta Smith as Joe's

profile pic...

Maybe because people keep using the "Joe is tired" excuse when

he is playing poorly.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that Joe is not well conditioned when he has been tops in the league in minutes since he has been here, the main option on offense (this year excluded) and usually plays defense against other teams best perimeter players. :thankyou:

Edited by jaybird

They don't sell those jerseys at my Wal Mart.

JJ hasn't played seriously heavy minutes in 2 years. He hasn't touch 40 mpg over that span. Like someone said, as long as he gets excuse for being tired then his conditioning will be questioned. Kobe doesn't get tired,Lebron doesn't get tired, Wade doesn't get tired. The fact that he even is alloted this excuse says a lot about our fans. Honestly though, Joe doesn't get tired, which is why he never claims that, just us fans. He just gets lazy, point blank. He doesn't display the type of effort (getting to the line) that star players do. It sucks,it hurts, it's frustrating,but yes it is true.

Guest Squawker

LMAO at Exhibit B. I did a triple take.

And, yea at exhibit C, that is Joe.

joejohnson-455x327.jpg

He's always been pretty jacked for such a poorly conditioned player.

Hes been one of the best conditioned and most durable players in the NBA for the last couple of years?