• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Van Gundy: Hawks ‘flopping' to draw fouls

pimp

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/van-gundy-hawks-flopping-922593.html?cxtype=rss_sports_82038

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said he’s fine with the physical play between his team and the Hawks in their Eastern Conference playoff series.

But Van Gundy said he’s frustrated by what he calls the Hawks “flopping” in an attempt to draw fouls.

“I like it when guys stand up and fight like men,” Van Gundy said Saturday. “I think that is what the game is all about. The one thing that frustrates me is all the flopping.”

Van Gundy cited three plays from the Hawks’ 88-84 victory in Game 3 on Friday.

Hawks center Jason Collins drew a charging call when he hit the court after contact with Orlando center Dwight Howard and later did the same to guard Jameer Nelson. Van Gundy said Howard “touched [Hawks center] Zaza Pachulia in the chest on a screen and that sent him to the floor.”

“The one thing I learned is our guys are a lot stronger than I thought they were,” Van Gundy said sarcastically.

The Magic coach said his team doesn’t flop and “treats it with disdain,” though he believes the tactic works. He said the Hawks are getting away with a lot of contact against Howard and then at the other end “guys take a dive and get a call.”

“All I would like to see is let’s either play it physical, or if we are going to call [fouls] when a guy barely gets hit and he flops down and lays on the floor, then let’s call every time Dwight gets hit,” Van Gundy said.

Role model

As Pachulia talked to reporters Saturday about his physical altercation with Orlando’s Jason Richardson in Game 3, Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins walked by and playfully shadowboxed in Pachulia’s direction.

“I’m learning from that guy,” Pachulia joked.

Wilkins, a Hawks broadcaster, scuffled with an acquaintance who confronted him after a Hawks game last month.

Hawks coach Larry Drew told Collins to “report directly to the training room” Saturday for treatment of the bruised tailbone Collins suffered during Game 3. Collins said he plans to play in Game 4 on Sunday. “It feels better than it did last night,” he said Saturday. “During the game we will try to keep it warm.” ... According to ESPN Stats, Hawks guard Jamal Crawford is the seventh player to score 20 points or more as a reserve in three consecutive postseason games. Two players have done it four times in a row: Nick Van Exel in 2003 with Dallas and Kevin McHale in 1991 with Boston. Van Exel is a Hawks assistant coach. ... Hawks center Etan Thomas was back with the team Saturday after missing Game 3 to attend funeral services for his grandfather. He likely will be on the active roster Sunday with Pachulia suspended for a fighting foul in Game 3.

Edited by pimp

That whole team gets on my nerves!!! Hawks plz play smart and win 2morrw because I think the game is defintely going to be called tighter and we may not get a lot of callls our way. Dwight I love ya because u are homegrown but u r starting to get on my nerves as well with your arms and elbows and then turning around with that holier than thou look on your face CMON SON. Boy oh boy if we win on Sunday I don't know what the media will say LET'S GO HAWKS

Every team flops in the NBA. Neutral commentators usually call it a "savvy vet'ran play", and I agree. As a cerebral player, you have to fully exploit the rules of the game to your advantage. Otherwise, you're just letting physical talent determine the game. Zaza is a great flopper and former Hawk Grant Long was one of the best floppers I've seen. Regardless, I haven't seen too many true "flops" in this series. Jason Collins, for example, got bowled over twice the other day and has a bruised tailbone to show for it. Magic players whined about the calls no matter how hard they rammed him. There's a lot of charging going on, and refs rarely call it unless you hit the deck. Call it flopping if you want, but we have to keep on doing it if we want to win this series.

:pleasantry:

Who is fooling who? Count the times each team visits the foul line. Sure, we're a group

of floppers and Orlando is a bunch of angels. Yeah, right. You tell 'em Grundy. Snif. snif.

:kickcan:

HAPPY EASTER EVERY ONE!!!

:biggrin:

First of all, LMAO at Nique.

Second of all, the Spurs have flopped their way to 4 championships. It's a sound defensive principle, seemingly.

Third of all, SVG is a fat, sweaty, uncharismatic and unwitty Phil Jackson wannabe with his almost daily quips to the media about officiating that he thinks are funny. Get your own shtick, Stan, or at least do it well if you are going to steal it.

yeah it would be great if ld brought up all the illegal screens and elbows, but i think we know that isn't really his style. not sure if i like or dislike him for that.

svg does this in every series, so i don't think it should come as a shock to anybody.

• Premium Member

Yeah... I agree with Van Gundy. Flopping is a weak and cheesy way to wuss your way through a game. These guys need to man up and play ball. When a guy elbows you in the face, buries his shoulder into your chest, or grabs you across the shoulder and body slams you to the court, you need to just lay down easy-like.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1