Discussion of Lockout Draft

HawkItus

My Best and Worst: My thinking is who made the best and worst decision. Of course Lebron/Dwight would be the best players to pick, but they are the easiest picks, so I won't go the route of calling them the best picks.

Round1

Best - Blake Griffin

Worst - Kobe Bryant

Round 2

Best - Zach Randolph

Worst - Jrue Holiday

Round 3

Best - Josh Smith

Worst - Kendrick Perkins

Round 4

Best - Roy Hibbert

Worst - Javale McGee

Round 5

Best - Derrick Favors

Worst - Landry Fields

Round 6

Best - Raymond Felton

Worst - "he who's name shall not be mentioned"

Round 7

Best - Chris Kaman

Worst - Ryan Anderson

Round 8

Best - Darren Collison

Worst - Kyle Korver

Edited by Supporter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people have made TERRIBLE picks, but there are a few that I was baffled to see. Here is my round-by-round breakdown (sorry for including myself if I decide to, it just means I think I made a dope pick).

Round 1 Best Pick- Hard to choose, because a lot of people already had an idea in their mind of who they wanted to build their team around, and nothing could change that.

Round 1 Worst Pick- I don't really like the Horford or Westbrook picks. But obviously, those owners knew what they wanted. I jut think it was too early for a little-big guy in Al, and I think Westbrook is terribly overrated.

Round 2 Best Pick- LaMarcus Aldridge- I was tempted to take him over Amare, but it was a few picks too early. Aldridge may be skinny, but the way Seano built his team, I think the pick works really well.

Round 2 Worst Pick- Brook Lopez- Just too soft to me, though people value size and youth, so it could have been worse I suppose. Noah was also an odd choice to me.

Round 3 Best Pick- Kevin Martin- Sorry for choosing myself, I was just surprised he fell so far down to me. Elite scorer, gets to the line a ton. Skinny and not good defender, but still. Honorable mention to Josh Smith.

Round 3 Worst Pick- OJ Mayo- I think it was way too early to pull the trigger on Mayo. Sure, he is a young scorer, but remember a few months ago Memphis didn't want him anymore. Dishonorable mention to Kendrick Perkins.

Round 4 Best Pick- Gerald Wallace- Brings defense, energy and toughness to whatever team he is on.

Round 4 Worst Pick- Kris Humphries- Is 01d0rd3r secretly Kim Kardashian?

Round 5 Best Pick- Some really good picks here. I'm gonna have to go with Favors, Millsap or Derozan. Favors is the biggest question mark though, could be a bum still.

Round 5 Worst Pick- Ed Davis- Haha, Ed Davis. Sure, 7.7 & 7 for a rookie isn't bad. But he got his stats on a bad Toronto team, is a 215 pound center, and in my opinion was a terrible pick by the Raptors. No hate Whassup.

Round 6 Best Pick- Lamar Odom, David Lee or Carlos Boozer- Despite my dislike for LO and Booz, they are good value picks. Lee was as well, especially if you can live with his defensive shortcomings.

Round 6 Worst Pick- Coaches.

Round 7 Best Pick- Good round value wise. A lot of players could be argued as the best pick, but i'm gonna have to go with Devin Harris. The fact that he went after Teague is mind-boggling.

Round 7 Worst Pick- Jeff Teague- ONLY BECAUSE of the PG talent that was still on the board.

Round 8 Best Pick- Darren Collison or John Salmons- Both are good value for the 8th round, and I like Salmons a lot, especially as an off-the-bench scorer. He is a smart veteran who plays the game without complaints, and a dope beard.

Round 8 Worst Pick- Brendan Haywood or Omer Asik- Not bad because both teams needed the size, I just think Haywood is getting chubbier and lazier, and i'm not that sold on Asik yet.

Round 8 Tossup- Anthony Randolph is an ABSOLUTE BEAST. But that hasn't translated into anything more than a few great games on bad teams. He has the ability to be a 20 & 10 player, no joke. But he could also be out of the league in two years.

Well done. I don't necessarily agree with all your thoughts here, but I totally dig the effort you put into picking your best and worst.

• Premium Member

He would go from a 21.0 ppg to 28 ppg and from 8.2 apg to 7.0 apg. At 23 that is still remarkable and his defense would still be top 4 at his position.

Is 33% really so bad. That equates to 50% true FG% when looking at total points. His perimeter shooting has improved ever year so its pretty safe to hedge your bets that he will get his 3 point shooting up to 35% - 37% as his career plays out.

He started the season at only 22 years old and finished the season at 23. It sure fire bet his turnovers and decision making will improve.

Those thoughts never came up until the Western Conference Finals when the microscopes came out. At just 23 he has already been throuigh the pressure cooker and honestly handled the media scutinity very well for a 23 year old. I see good chances of him truely growing from that expierence. At just 23 the kid has tons of heart and is extremely competitive. I hedged my bets on him at least. It will be intersting to see how his career turns out.

And maybe all these excuse would play out the way you like. But for right now... It is what it is, there are more talented players that were drafted behind him. Some of them didn't fall into age

And maybe all these excuse would play out the way you like. But for right now... It is what it is, there are more talented players that were drafted behind him. Some of them didn't fall into age

I do NOT think Westbrook was picked too early or was a bad pick in any way whatsoever. I mean the dude was 2nd team All-NBA at the ripe old age of 23, so how is that bad again? Hell, I considered Westbrook very strongly with my first round pick, but I just couldn't bring myself to pass on Dwayne Wade.

• Premium Member

I think the real discussion here is best team.

Individual talent is not important until you look at how the team is setup to work. I believe at some point, maybe after the 10th round, each GM should give an account of how he envisions his team. Skillsets, strengths, and weaknesses.

• Premium Member

I do NOT think Westbrook was picked too early or was a bad pick in any way whatsoever. I mean the dude was 2nd team All-NBA at the ripe old age of 23, so how is that bad again? Hell, I considered Westbrook very strongly with my first round pick, but I just couldn't bring myself to pass on Dwayne Wade.

Today you're a new GM and you're Given the Choice... You're starting your team...

Westbrook or Amare?

Westrbook or Melo?

Westbrook or Monta?

Westbrook or Love, Jefferson, or Noah?

Westbrook or Dirk??

I easily take Amare, Melo, or even Monta over Westbrook. Dirk and Love also have a shot.

Today you're a new GM and you're Given the Choice... You're starting your team...

Westbrook or Amare?

Westbrook. Give me the franchise point over the oft-injured big man every single time.

Westrbook or Melo?

Westbrook. Melo's a volume shooter, a premier scorer, but give me the franchise PG.

Westbrook or Monta?

Shirley, you can't be serious?

Westbrook or Love, Jefferson, or Noah?

Westbrook, Westbrook, and Westbrook.

Westbrook or Dirk??

Well Dirk for right now, but Dirk's 33 years old, so gimme some Westbrook.

I easily take Amare, Melo, or even Monta over Westbrook. Dirk and Love also have a shot.

I think the real discussion here is best team.

Individual talent is not important until you look at how the team is setup to work. I believe at some point, maybe after the 10th round, each GM should give an account of how he envisions his team. Skillsets, strengths, and weaknesses.

Let's start discussing the best team then.

JY21-

PG- Chauncey Billups

SG- Rudy Gay

SF- LeBron James

PF- Serge Ibaka

C- Samuel Dalembert

BENCH- Luis Scola, Jason Terry, Jose Calderon, Carlos Delfino.

Diesel

PG- Kyle Lowry

SG- Eric Gordon

SF- Wilson Chandler

PF- Zach Randolph

C- Dwight Howard

BENCH- Ramon Sessions, Ryan Anderson, Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady.

SultanofATL-

PG- Steve Nash

SG- Andre Iguodala

SF- Kevin Durant

PF- DeJuan Blair

C- Andrew Bynum

BENCH- Raymond Felton, Greg Oden, Anthony Randolph, Mickael Pietrus.

Capstone21

PG- Deron Williams

SG- Stephen Jackson

SF- Danny Granger

PF- Pau Gasol

C- Marcin Gortat

BENCH- Anderson Varejao, Jason Richardson, Carl Landry

WhassupHawks

PG- Ty Lawson

SG- Kobe Bryant

SF- Dorrell Wright

PF- Ed Davis

C- Andrew Bogut

BENCH- Evan Turner, Nick Young, Omer Asik

AHF

PG- Chris Paul

SG- Manu Ginobili

SF- Jared Dudley

PF- Chris Bosh

C- Greg Monroe

BENCH- Derrick Favors, Carlos Boozer, Jameer Nelson.

Supporter

PG- Derrick Rose

SG- James Harden

SF- Thaddeus Young

PF- JJ Hickson

C- DeMarcus Cousins

BENCH- Kevin Garnett, Rodney Stuckey, Brendan Haywood

NicholasP27

PG- Tyreke Evans

SG- OJ Mayo

SF- Danilo Galinari

PF- Blake Griffin

C- Andrea Bargnani

BENCH- Phil Jackson, Taj Gibson,

Seano

PG- Mike Conley

SG- Dwyane Wade

SF- Tony Allen

PF- LaMarcus Aldridge

C- Nene

BENCH- Paul Millsap, David West, JJ Barea.

01d0rd3r

PG- Rajon Rondo

SG- Marcus Thornton

SF- Luol Deng

PF- Kris Humphries

C- Marc Gasol

BENCH- Jerry Sloan, Aaron Afflalo, Aaron Brooks

Thatsmydawg

PG- John Wall

SG- Jeff Green

SF- Michael Beasley

PF- Al Jefferson

C- Roy Hibbert

BENCH- "he who's name shall not be mentioned", Andray Blatche, DJ Augustin

NGC7/Squawker

PG- Brandon Jennings

SG- Ray Allen

SF- Paul Pierce

PF- Al Horford

C- Joakim Noah

BENCH- Hedo Turkoglu, Jeff Teague, Jeff Salmons.

CoachX

PG- Russell Westbrook

SG- Wesley Matthews

SF- Tayshaun Prince

PF- Kevin Love

C- Tyson Chandler

BENCH- Lamar Odom, Ben Gordon, Spencer Hawes

Alejandro09

PG- Jrue Holiday

SG- Landry Fields

SF- Gerald Wallace

PF- Dirk Nowitzki

C- Kendrick Perkins

BENCH- Brandon Roy, Jason Thompson, Kyle Korver

TRUEINTELLECTPLAYA

PG- Tony Parker

SG- Demar Derozan

SF- Carmelo Anthony

PF- Tim Duncan

C- Brook Lopez

BENCH- Emeka Okafor, Devin Harris, Trevor Ariza

Colin/Devon

PG- Steph Curry

SG- Kevin Martin

SF- Nicolas Batum

PF- Amare Stoudemire

C- DeAndre Jordan

BENCH- David Lee, Darren Collison, Chris Kaman.

IHeartAtlanta

PG- Monta Ellis

SG- Joe Johnson

SF- Paul George

PF- Josh Smith

C- Javale McGee

BENCH- Jamal Crawford, Ron Artest, JR Smith.

I compiled everybody's teams along with projected starting lineup. Sorry if I incorrectly assumed on some of them, some teams have chemistry issues that were tough to work around without seeing the original coach post a lineup.

Edited by Colin

Let's start discussing the best team then.

JY21-

PG- Chauncey Billups

SG- Rudy Gay

SF- LeBron James

PF- Serge Ibaka

C- Samuel Dalembert

BENCH- Luis Scola, Jason Terry, Jose Calderon, Carlos Delfino.

Diesel

PG- Kyle Lowry

SG- Eric Gordon

SF- Wilson Chandler

PF- Zach Randolph

C- Dwight Howard

BENCH- Ramon Sessions, Ryan Anderson, Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady.

SultanofATL-

PG- Steve Nash

SG- Andre Iguodala

SF- Kevin Durant

PF- DeJuan Blair

C- Andrew Bynum

BENCH- Raymond Felton, Greg Oden, Anthony Randolph, Mickael Pietrus.

Capstone21

PG- Deron Williams

SG- Stephen Jackson

SF- Danny Granger

PF- Pau Gasol

C- Marcin Gortat

BENCH- Anderson Varejao, Jason Richardson, Carl Landry

WhassupHawks

PG- Ty Lawson

SG- Kobe Bryant

SF- Dorrell Wright

PF- Ed Davis

C- Andrew Bogut

BENCH- Evan Turner, Nick Young, Omer Asik

AHF

PG- Chris Paul

SG- Manu Ginobili

SF- Jared Dudley

PF- Chris Bosh

C- Greg Monroe

BENCH- Derrick Favors, Carlos Boozer, Jameer Nelson.

Supporter

PG- Derrick Rose

SG- James Harden

SF- Thaddeus Young

PF- JJ Hickson

C- DeMarcus Cousins

BENCH- Phil Jackson, Rodney Stuckey, Brendan Haywood

NicholasP27

PG- Tyreke Evans

SG- OJ Mayo

SF- Danilo Galinari

PF- Blake Griffin

C- Andrea Bargnani

BENCH- Kevin Garnett, Taj Gibson,

Seano

PG- Mike Conley

SG- Dwyane Wade

SF- Tony Allen

PF- LaMarcus Aldridge

C- Nene

BENCH- Paul Millsap, David West, JJ Barea.

01d0rd3r

PG- Rajon Rondo

SG- Marcus Thornton

SF- Luol Deng

PF- Kris Humphries

C- Marc Gasol

BENCH- Jerry Sloan, Aaron Afflalo, Aaron Brooks

Thatsmydawg

PG- John Wall

SG- Jeff Green

SF- Michael Beasley

PF- Al Jefferson

C- Roy Hibbert

BENCH- "he who's name shall not be mentioned", Andray Blatche, DJ Augustin

NGC7/Squawker

PG- Brandon Jennings

SG- Ray Allen

SF- Paul Pierce

PF- Al Horford

C- Joakim Noah

BENCH- Hedo Turkoglu, Jeff Teague, Jeff Salmons.

CoachX

PG- Russell Westbrook

SG- Wesley Matthews

SF- Tayshaun Prince

PF- Kevin Love

C- Tyson Chandler

BENCH- Lamar Odom, Ben Gordon, Spencer Hawes

Alejandro09

PG- Jrue Holiday

SG- Landry Fields

SF- Gerald Wallace

PF- Dirk Nowitzki

C- Kendrick Perkins

BENCH- Brandon Roy, Jason Thompson, Kyle Korver

TRUEINTELLECTPLAYA

PG- Tony Parker

SG- Demar Derozan

SF- Carmelo Anthony

PF- Tim Duncan

C- Brook Lopez

BENCH- Emeka Okafor, Devin Harris, Trevor Ariza

Colin/Devon

PG- Steph Curry

SG- Kevin Martin

SF- Nicolas Batum

PF- Amare Stoudemire

C- Chris Kaman

BENCH- David Lee, Darren Collison, DeAndre Jordan.

IHeartAtlanta

PG- Monta Ellis

SG- Joe Johnson

SF- Paul George

PF- Josh Smith

C- Javale McGee

BENCH- Jamal Crawford, Ron Artest, JR Smith.

I compiled everybody's teams along with projected starting lineup. Sorry if I incorrectly assumed on some of them, some teams have chemistry issues that were tough to work around without seeing the original coach post a lineup.

Good work my dude, but I just wanna clear up this misconception that I took Phil Jackson when I actually took Kevin Garnett!!!

I might have to go with True I. We already know what Duncan and Parker can do together. So basically your adding a go to guy in CAnthony to that dynamic. You also add a good center in Lopez to help Duncan out down low. Oke to come in and spell Duncan. Harris to spell Parker, and Ariza to spell the 3 or 4. I would even consider starting Ariza for defense.

I dont know if we're doing this yet but I'm gonna go ahead and break my team down.

I was going for an uptempo squad with my first couple of picks, Lebron Gay and Ibaka can be dangerous on a break with each other and gave me possibly the most athletic 2-3-4 in our league. Ibaka can play the 5 at times and have he and Scola at the 4 n 5. There aren't many great centers out there (really only one in Howard) so I can run with those 2 in the front court and be just fine! and with Scola in the lineup he's gonna give me everything he has for every single second he's on the court...again another piece for my uptempo theme. Dalembert gives me defense and rebounding...don't need much more from my center. and with Ibaka and Lebron on the weak side that of course helps when we are going up against a guy like Dwight. Billups is just a stabilizing force on both ends. Isn't afraid of the moment and can and is more than willing to take those big shots. Still a decent defender but if needed Lebron can take the challenge of guarding those quicker guards......evidenced by the ECF against D Rose. Jose can come in and push the tempo when Billups is out and is still a damn good shooter, his defense is lacking but I can hide him with the length and athleticism on this team. Jet comes in and plays the 1 or the 2, more often than not the 2 and is at the top of his game right now. The man is a leader, should have been Co-MVP of the finals but hey. He is clutch...plain and simple! With the Delfino pick what I was going for was a wing player that could play decent defense and knock the open jumper when given the opportunity and he fit the bill. He isn't a liability on either end and is a threat to score when on the floor bc I'm sure he won't get alot of attention with guys like Lebron and Gay out there. And speaking of those 2....BEAST MODE AT THE 2 N 3 SPOTS!!! Who's team has the ability to stop both? 6'8 6'9 with freakish athletic ability and decent jumpers on both...30 8 & 8 and 20 6 & 3!!! I think thats a damn good 1 2 punch! Lebron isn't the most clutch guy in the world and I know this but I think with Billups and Jet I took care of that

I have a 2 time MVP

A Finals MVP

A future Defensive player of the year

And a guy who should have been a Finals co-MVP

I think I'm doing fine so far!

Edited by jy21

I dont know if we're doing this yet but I'm gonna go ahead and break my team down.

I was going for an uptempo squad with my first couple of picks, Lebron Gay and Ibaka can be dangerous on a break with each other and gave me possibly the most athletic 2-3-4 in our league. Ibaka can play the 5 at times and have he and Scola at the 4 n 5. There aren't many great centers out there (really only one in Howard) so I can run with those 2 in the front court and be just fine! and with Scola in the lineup he's gonna give me everything he has for every single second he's on the court...again another piece for my uptempo theme. Dalembert gives me defense and rebounding...don't need much more from my center. and with Ibaka and Lebron on the weak side that of course helps when we are going up against a guy like Dwight. Billups is just a stabilizing force on both ends. Isn't afraid of the moment and can and is more than willing to take those big shots. Still a decent defender but if needed Lebron can take the challenge of guarding those quicker guards......evidenced by the ECF against D Rose. Jose can come in and push the tempo when Billups is out and is still a damn good shooter, his defense is lacking but I can hide him with the length and athleticism on this team. Jet comes in and plays the 1 or the 2, more often than not the 2 and is at the top of his game right now. The man is a leader, should have been Co-MVP of the finals but hey. He is clutch...plain and simple! With the Delfino pick what I was going for was a wing player that could play decent defense and knock the open jumper when given the opportunity and he fit the bill. He isn't a liability on either end and is a threat to score when on the floor bc I'm sure he won't get alot of attention with guys like Lebron and Gay out there. And speaking of those 2....BEAST MODE AT THE 2 N 3 SPOTS!!! Who's team has the ability to stop both? 6'8 6'9 with freakish athletic ability and decent jumpers on both...30 8 & 8 and 20 6 & 3!!! I think thats a damn good 1 2 punch! Lebron isn't the most clutch guy in the world and I know this but I think with Billups and Jet I took care of that

I have a 2 time MVP

A Finals MVP

A future Defensive player of the year

And a guy who should have been a Finals co-MVP

I think I'm doing fine so far!

Umm I haven't seen Ibaka run on the break....EVER with the thunder.