• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WHY ARE RUMORS FIXATED ON TRADING JOSH & NOT GET A STAR?

y2kenta

NBA GMs must see him as a star. Why else would Josh Smith be talked about at such an alarming rate? We're not talking about David Khan here guys. Josh is getting looks from some of the best GMs in the business. It's just a shame that our fans don't see Josh's value.

I can't really tell if your being sarcastic or serious but I'm responding as if your serious.

Where is one rumor that mentions another GM giving up a star for Josh Smith ? Heck, I can't even find a rumor where a GM is offering a borderline star in return.

Now insurt foot in mouth.

ESPN mentioned 4 players in trade rumors this morning. They were players right under current star status like Nash, Parker, Odom, and Iggy. We may be able to fetch one of those guys but I would prefer to keep Smoove over any of them.

You seem to think I want to give Smoove away. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm only trying to stay in reality.....that is all. I don't want old guys with 1 year left in the tank like Camby and Miller. However, I could live with the earlier proposal of us fetching Nelson, Haywood, Beaubois, Anderson, Orton, and conditional picks.

Edited by coachx

I think there are other borderline stars out on the trade market we could fetch but none are ideal for our needs:

L. Odom comes to mind. He is still a very talented player and probably a better player then Smoove is today but he is 31 years old. He has a few good years left but not as many as Smoove.

Igguadola - Very talented player and good defender but he is a SG/SF wing player. For a team already lacking size I don't want to get smaller. Now if we could get Spencer Hawes and Iggy for Smoove and filler I'd be all over it assuming Iggy's medical reports check out.

T. Parker - I think his best days are behind him and want to see what Teague can do. Parker's game is centered around quickness and that is leaving him at his current age.

There are rumors that Brook Lopez could be on the block as well.

If Lopez is on the block then he'd be priority #1, #2 and #3 for me in looking to move Josh. We'd have to take on Outlaws bad contract ($7mil x 4) as well as Petro ($3.5mil x 2) to be able to get to Josh's trade salary (with the trade kicker) but Lopez would be absolutely perfect for us since he is a pretty good shot blocker at the center spot and extremely talented offensively and likes to play in the paint. Put Horford at the elbow for his favorite shot with Lopez planted in the paint and we'd be set in the front court for the next 7+ years.

• Moderators

The title of thread seems to imply that Josh Smith is a star.

He is not. Just wanted to point that out. No one sees him as a star except for a few Smoove fans. He is a fine player, but not a star.

I think the title of the thread is dead on. We are at the stage where we should be trying to come up with a deal to move one of our desirable core players (JJ, Horford, Josh, Teague) for a talent upgrade in a Pau Gasol sort of trade. We are talented enough that one significant upgrade could catapult us into contender status and it is unlikely the draft is going to provide that player. Accordingly, we should be spending our time on figuring out how to acquire a star and not spending time on how to dump Josh Smith for guys on the downside like:

Brendan Haywood - per 36 8.9 pp36, 10.2 rp36, 2.0 bp36, .4 sp36

Marcus Camby - 6.5 pp36, 14.2 rp36, 2.2 bp36, .9 sp36

Andre Miller

or guys who aren't impact players like:

Daniel Orton, Beaubois, Ryan Anderson

or late first round draft picks.

We should be focused on either getting a star potential player through the lottery or for an impact player that fits better (for example, trading Josh to Utah for the #3 pick if we think there is a star available or trading him for Al Jefferson if we think his skill set is a better mesh) and not dumping Josh as the rumors from yesterday strike me.

I think the title of the thread is dead on. We are at the stage where we should be trying to come up with a deal to move one of our desirable core players (JJ, Horford, Josh, Teague) for a talent upgrade in a Pau Gasol sort of trade. We are talented enough that one significant upgrade could catapult us into contender status and it is unlikely the draft is going to provide that player. Accordingly, we should be spending our time on figuring out how to acquire a star and not spending time on how to dump Josh Smith for guys on the downside like:

Brendan Haywood - per 36 8.9 pp36, 10.2 rp36, 2.0 bp36, .4 sp36

Marcus Camby - 6.5 pp36, 14.2 rp36, 2.2 bp36, .9 sp36

Andre Miller

or guys who aren't impact players like:

Daniel Orton, Beaubois, Ryan Anderson

or late first round draft picks.

We should be focused on either getting a star potential player through the lottery or for an impact player that fits better (for example, trading Josh to Utah for the #3 pick if we think there is a star available or trading him for Al Jefferson if we think his skill set is a better mesh) and not dumping Josh as the rumors from yesterday strike me.

Please let me know when you hear one of these rumors. You are essentially saying we should focus on making up topics on trade rumors that do not exist. Such threads on made up trades, where there are no rumors, belong in the trade forum I believe any way.

Earlier in the week I said I would jump all over a P. Gasol, M. Gasol, or Jefferson trade for Smoove. That is the kind of deal I am hoping for as well IF Smoove must be traded. I would love any of those deals. Let me know when one of those rumors hits the rumor mill though.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Please let me know when you hear one of these rumors. You are essentially saying we should foucs in making up topics on trade rumors that do not exist.

Earlier in the week I said I would jump all over a P. Gasol, M. Gasol, or Jefferson trade for Smoove. I would love any of those deals. Let me know when one of the rumors hits the rumor mill though.

First, I think the rumors we have been discussing are nothing but fictitious rumors and I am not endorsing starting more of those.

Second, I am saying that if the rumors have validity it indicates a desire to dump Josh by management and I am saying that management should be focused on upgrading talent and not dumping a 25 year old talent like Josh for a Miller/Camby/Anderson style deal. In this light, I think the title of the thread is dead on as far as looking at where management's priorities should be for this team.

Third, I would posit that these rumors are baseless and that a big reason they are flying out there is the low level of regard that journalists have for this organization where they could contemplate the Hawks dealing Josh for Ray Allen or some similar stupidity.

Edited by AHF

Please let me know when you hear one of these rumors. You are essentially saying we should focus on making up topics on trade rumors that do not exist. Such threads on made up trades, where there are no rumors, belong the trade forum I believe any way.

Earlier in the week I said I would jump all over a P. Gasol, M. Gasol, or Jefferson trade for Smoove. I would love any of those deals. Let me know when one of those rumors hits the rumor mill though.

Sunds actual trades NEVER hit the rumor mill.

Please let me know when you hear one of these rumors. You are essentially saying we should focus on making up topics on trade rumors that do not exist. Such threads on made up trades, where there are no rumors, belong the trade forum I believe any way.

Earlier in the week I said I would jump all over a P. Gasol, M. Gasol, or Jefferson trade for Smoove. That is hte kind of deal I am hoping for as well IF Smoove must be traded. I would love any of those deals. Let me know when one of those rumors hits the rumor mill though.

I'm pretty sure he means "we" as in the Hawks should be focused on finding a trade like that, not Hawksquawk.

If Lopez is on the block then he'd be priority #1, #2 and #3 for me in looking to move Josh. We'd have to take on Outlaws bad contract ($7mil x 4) as well as Petro ($3.5mil x 2) to be able to get to Josh's trade salary (with the trade kicker) but Lopez would be absolutely perfect for us since he is a pretty good shot blocker at the center spot and extremely talented offensively and likes to play in the paint. Put Horford at the elbow for his favorite shot with Lopez planted in the paint and we'd be set in the front court for the next 7+ years.

Yeah, but who's gonna rebound? Horford doesn't seem to be capable of 15 RPG, which we would need to go along with Lopez's 5 RPG.

Heard Seko Smith interviewed on the radio this morn and he mentioned the Nets as a possibitliy which supports my thoughts mentioned yesterday. Lopez would be a nice addition

That's who I'm hoping for! He's one of the most gifted scoring bigs in the league and a good shot blocker as well plus he's young enough to build with. He's a pretty poor rebounder for his size but we wouldn't lose much rebound wise going from Smith to Lopez but we'd gain a ton with our ability to score on the block.

Yeah, but who's gonna rebound? Horford doesn't seem to be capable of 15 RPG, which we would need to go along with Lopez's 5 RPG.

His rebounding (actually 6 per game last year not 5) doesn't concern me that much since he had 8.1 and 8.6 per game his 1st two years and Smoove only had 8.5 last year.

That's who I'm hoping for! He's one of the most gifted scoring bigs in the league and a good shot blocker as well plus he's young enough to build with. He's a pretty poor rebounder for his size but we wouldn't lose much rebound wise going from Smith to Lopez but we'd gain a ton with our ability to score on the block.

His rebounding (actually 6 per game last year not 5) doesn't concern me that much since he had 8.1 and 8.6 per game his 1st two years and Smoove only had 8.5 last year.

Allright, you've convinced me. Make it happen!

• Premium Member

Sunds actual trades NEVER hit the rumor mill.

that's so true. Somehow Sund just pulls these trades out his hind parts. I remember thinking "WTH" when he landed Crawford, and Hinrich was totally off the radar until very late into the process.

Edited by Not5Not6Not7

I guess the big question is, would NJ do it? Centers are at a premium in the NBA.

They seem to be interested in moving him if you're to believe the rumors but who really knows. He's not a transition player or a good defender outside of shot blocking and I think that the Nets want to be an uptempo team and he really doesn't fit that mold too well but Smoove sure would, especially with Deron Williams feeding him. We're not going to be much of an uptempo team with LD as coach so we might as well try and become as good as we can at scoring in the half court and we can't acquire anyone else who can score at the center position like Lopez can.