• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WHY ARE RUMORS FIXATED ON TRADING JOSH & NOT GET A STAR?

y2kenta

Now I'm sure MOST of the rumors are full of BS, but...

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY EVEN TALKING ABOUT TRADING JOSH LIKE HE IS A PROBLEM!!! He catches blame but at least he MAN's DA FuKK UP and goes hard (bad jumpers, good jumpers, and all). Can we say the same for Joe? Marvin? We usually can for Al.

I say that because when it comes to trade rumors and with this amount of rumors, there is definitely smoke and when there's smoke...there's usually real talks.

I don't get it. I apologize for the language but that's how strong I feel right now. I'm sick of our front office screwing our team up every time the team is close to turning the corner and become one of the elite contenders, they burn it down and either trade away or let go a key piece that holds it together. DAMMIT!

I've been a HAWKS fans since I first understood basketball back in the early 80s and I'm fed up. They complain about fans filling the arena nightly or some fans that do show but cheer for opposing team loudly. But hey, if they are going to keep selling us short like this.

1. In all these trade rumors being speculated, the HAWKS are getting screwed and making both our div rivals (ORL) or conference rival (CHI) stronger contenders

2. Josh is the face of our team, the most recognizable player, and Im sure nearly every team in the league will try to get him as easy they can...Thats why teams are throwing lowball offers right now.

3. Trading Josh for anything less than CP3, Deron, Ellis, or similar is a FAIL!!!

LET'S JUST GET A DAMN BIG (Dalembert or Nene), move Marvin and possibly Hinrch to make room for JC, Collins, and Gerald.

• Like 3

Josh wants out and has said as much lately

The owners are trying to save money so it will be for expiring or young players

Josh is not the face of this team

Did Josh tell you he wants out? I don't believe it. Why believe that and not believe some other rumors? I believe Josh wants to stay and play in Atlanta. He just hates taking all of the blame. It was never a problem untill Al arrived. Hmm?

• Premium Member

Did Josh tell you he wants out? I don't believe it. Why believe that and not believe some other rumors? I believe Josh wants to stay and play in Atlanta. He just hates taking all of the blame. It was never a problem untill Al arrived. Hmm?

Mainly because some historically-reputable writers have reported it.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/06/22/chris-mannix-on-dc-rajon-rondo-has-been-on-the-table-in-the-past-year/

There have been reports that the Hawks are dangling Josh Smith and looking for an expiring contract in return. Mannix said it’s no surprise where the rumor originated.

“This is coming straight out of Atlanta, and straight out of Josh Smith’s camp,” Mannix said. “Listen, guys, Josh has told everybody — family members, friends, anyone that really would listen — that he wants to get out of Atlanta. It’s been seven long years down there, seven tumultuous years where he’s been heavily criticized for his inconsistent play, his perplexing affection for a jump shot. He wants out.”

Based on Smith’s record, Mannix did not offer a great deal of optimism about the player.

“Right now I think this is only a deal that Atlanta’s exploring, that Josh Smith is heavily interested in. I’m not sure what the level of interest is on Boston’s side right now,” Mannix said. “And if you’re the Celtics, be very careful with taking Josh Smith. He is incredibly inconsistent. There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years.

“Josh has incredible talents. He’s a high-flier, he’s a great rebounder, when he attacks the rim, he’s one of the better power forwards in the entire league. The problem is, he only does that about 60 percent of the time. He’s a massive head case. There’s a reason Atlanta is willing to part with him. So, I would be real careful about any kind of deal — believing any kind of deal, and being willing to talk about and accept any kind of deal for Josh Smith.”

'

Mark Corrigan

markrcorrigan Mark Corrigan

@TooSmoove5 Joshhh, beg Atlanta not to trade youuu! You're my favorite player bro!

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

in reply to ↑

Josh Smith

@TooSmoove5 Josh Smith

@markrcorrigan I will be a here as long as they want me!!

• Like 1

I think Sund is pretty close to the vest on deals. I bet he talked to a couple gms about their superstars and maybe mentioned Smoove as a possible chip to get one. This whole thing is way off. There is no way the Hawks can salary dump Smoove for garbage and thats what all these supposed offers are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Sure its possible that Sund has talked to Otis Smith and mentioned Smoove. It prolly went something like this:

Otis: Hey Rick what would it take to get Smoove to Orlando

Sund: Superman

Otis: No seriously

Sund; I was dead serious, Smoove as part of a deal for Dwight

Otis : Im not trading Dwight but I have guys like Anderson and Duhun and can get you Camby and Andre Miller. Will that work for J. Smith

Sund: We dont have Joe Smith anymore

Edited by NJHAWK
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I believe that Josh Wanting out is just as much rumor as some of these BS trades.

Josh made a statement a while back stating that IF he were traded, the teams that he would want to go to are:

Houston, Orlando, NJ, Boston, and one other. Funny how those teams are the ones popping up on all these bogus text trades.

• Premium Member

No disrespect stu.. but reputable writer? These days.. that's an oxymoron.

Let's examine Mannix.

He's a boxing guy trying to switch over to basketball in a bad economy. He's been pulling his best Peter Vecsey since the beginning of the year. Trying to hit the code to make people respect him in the basketball world because Boxing is too slow and boring. Mannix is an example of bad economy journalism. What are his credentials? He just reads the AJC and make guess work.

Where did you hear Josh wants out? I am not calling BS, but I am calling SMOKE! (see what I did there)

Since Day 1

Who is the face of this team? Who is in the nationally televised commercials?

Addidas, NBA 2K10 (or eleven, one of them), Gillette (or was that Schick), and pretty much, the most talked about player on the Hawks, not just with Hawks fans BUT the media as well, good or bad (which I think the bad rep is wayyy overrated), not Joe, not Al...

Joe disappears for periods (months) and even the most critical times (playoffs, ain't nothing changed) and Horford to me is mediocre, nothing special (this perception that AL is a natural leader is exaggerated) sure he won 2 NC in college but so did Noah and Brewer and Green (I think that was the PGs name) and that doesn't make him a leader. Al calls people out when it is convenient, when he has a good game and they have a bad game or slump...he just didn't show up in the playoffs and I think his ceiling is 15/9-16/10 and no more...his game is too robotic and predictable...he is no low post presence just as much as Josh is and at least Josh has an athletic advantage some of his opponents (first step, hops, and left-handed but uses his right so effectively when penetrating)

Please dispute any of the above, I feel like a nice debate today...and don't give me these TS% and eFG%...I watch the games to decide that

• Like 3

“Right now I think this is only a deal that Atlanta’s exploring, that Josh Smith is heavily interested in. I’m not sure what the level of interest is on Boston’s side right now,” Mannix said. “And if you’re the Celtics, be very careful with taking Josh Smith. He is incredibly inconsistent. There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years.“Josh has incredible talents. He’s a high-flier, he’s a great rebounder, when he attacks the rim, he’s one of the better power forwards in the entire league. The problem is, he only does that about 60 percent of the time. He’s a massive head case. There’s a reason Atlanta is willing to part with him. So, I would be real careful about any kind of deal — believing any kind of deal, and being willing to talk about and accept any kind of deal for Josh Smith.”

So this is the credible source. No offense to you for taking this guy as a source over me, but this LOSES credibility to me. And it seems he doesn't follow the Hawks much. Every playoff we have been in since Josh's arrival, dude have shown up...who disappears is Joe Johnson annually (a you can bet your money on that, aside from that 2008 Hawks/Celtics home games) and Horford this season but still has not been 'a force' in the playoffs...dude if you can't see the bias and blame that Josh takes for Atlanta's downfall then I can't beat it into you...

Josh needs a real coach...7 yrs in in the league and he has been able to do what he wants from the start with no real coach or development...Josh is PARTIAL blame for his own development but to say he hasn't developed or worked on his game is asinine...the kid just has heart and wants to win and is passionate. Well, so am I

I would be pissed if I continually get blackballed while Joe gets pass after pass when our 'leader' disappears in the most essential games of the season and Al gets a pass because he won two NC, well do something special at this level...2 All-Star appearances, well Josh gets robbed in those because of the bad reps and Al gets those because of the good rep and the wave of 2 NC (which fuels the fable of him being a leader, HS and that doesn't mean hawk-squawk or high school), Josh had better numbers ALL ACROSS THE BOARD with more competitition at his position than Horford...KG (couple of yrs ago), PP, Bron, Bosh, Granger, Iggy (combo), vs Horford's comp-Howard, Bogut (better numbers and player-worse team and wins), and Lopez (see Bogut minus better player), not even close...if Al played PF during this time, he would not even be mentioned of being an AS...dispute that...I have a rebuttal

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

'

Mark Corrigan

markrcorrigan Mark Corrigan

@TooSmoove5 Joshhh, beg Atlanta not to trade youuu! You're my favorite player bro!

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

in reply to ↑

Josh Smith

@TooSmoove5 Josh Smith

@markrcorrigan I will be a here as long as they want me!!

Thank you! Anything other than what he publicly states is somewhat obsolete because on MANY occassions this dude has said nothing but how he loves Atlanta and wants to finish his career here...he ADDRESSED the rumor of him wanting to leave, head-on, immediately, and publicly...what more do you want him to say

I think Sund is pretty close to the vest on deals. I bet he talked to a couple gms about their superstars and maybe mentioned Smoove as a possible chip to get one. This whole thing is way off. There is no way the Hawks can salary dump Smoove for garbage and thats what all these supposed offers are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Sure its possible that Sund has talked to Otis Smith and mentioned Smoove. It prolly went something like this:

Otis: Hey Rick what would it take to get Smoove to Orlando

Sund: Superman

Otis: No seriously

Sund; I was dead serious, Smoove as part of a deal for Dwight

Otis : Im not trading Dwight but I have guys like Anderson and Duhun and can get you Camby and Andre Miller. Will that work for J. Smith

Sund: We dont have Joe Smith anymore

That was Diesel-esque...hilarious and entertaining, BUT probably somewhat truth

I wouldn't worry too much. The Hawks area going to ask for a lot if they trade Smoove, and they should.

I'd take Derrick Williams for Smith in a heartbeat. Maybe some sort of 3-way trade between Orlando, Minnesota, and the Hawks. Perhaps throw Marvin in the mix. Yea, I know I'm dreaming.

• Premium Member

I'm convinced some media people and fans are jealous of his success. Why else would these people be so happy about trading Josh for fish heads and rice?

WHY ARE RUMORS FIXATED ON TRADING JOSH & NOT GET A STAR?

The title of thread seems to imply that Josh Smith is a star.

He is not. Just wanted to point that out. No one sees him as a star except for a few Smoove fans. He is a fine player, but not a star.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

The title of thread seems to imply that Josh Smith is a star.

He is not. Just wanted to point that out.

I was thinking that same thing. People expect Josh Smith to fetch us a superstar. To get a superstar, you either have to trade 2 or more really good talents, large expiring contracts, or high draft picks. We're not getting Chris Paul for Josh Smith. Just because the salaries work, doesn't mean it's a deal New Orleans would make. I make alot of speculative trade proposals in the trade forum just for fun, but every time I do it, I try to evaluate why either team would do it. Am I right every time? Absolutley not, because I have no idea how each GM feels about their respective players. One thing I can say with all certainty, is Josh Smith, albeit a very good player, is not alone worth a "superstar" and unfortunately, we don't have many other valuable trade assets to include with him to entice a team to let go of such a superstar.

I was thinking that same thing. People expect Josh Smith to fetch us a superstar. To get a superstar, you either have to trade 2 or more really good talents, large expiring contracts, or high draft picks. We're not getting Chris Paul for Josh Smith. Just because the salaries work, doesn't mean it's a deal New Orleans would make. I make alot of speculative trade proposals in the trade forum just for fun, but every time I do it, I try to evaluate why either team would do it. Am I right every time? Absolutley not, because I have no idea how each GM feels about their respective players. One thing I can say with all certainty, is Josh Smith, albeit a very good player, is not alone worth a "superstar" and unfortunately, we don't have many other valuable trade assets to include with him to entice a team to let go of such a superstar.

I think there are other borderline stars out on the trade market we could fetch but none are ideal for our needs:

L. Odom comes to mind. He is still a very talented player and probably a better player then Smoove is today but he is 31 years old. He has a few good years left but not as many as Smoove.

Igguadola - Very talented player and good defender but he is a SG/SF wing player. For a team already lacking size I don't want to get smaller. Now if we could get Spencer Hawes and Iggy for Smoove and filler I'd be all over it assuming Iggy's medical reports check out.

T. Parker - I think his best days are behind him and want to see what Teague can do. Parker's game is centered around quickness and that is leaving him at his current age.

There are rumors that Brook Lopez could be on the block as well.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

NBA GMs must see him as a star. Why else would Josh Smith be talked about at such an alarming rate? We're not talking about David Khan here guys. Josh is getting looks from some of the best GMs in the business. It's just a shame that our fans don't see Josh's value.

Edited by Not5Not6Not7
  • Like 2