• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Has anyone around here used a no-contract cell carrier?

niremetal

• Premium Member

My Verizon contract ran out several months ago and I've been going month-to-month with them ever since. It's not that I'm particularly unhappy with Verizon, but it seems like a rip-off compared to the no-contract carriers since I don't have a smartphone and have no real desire to get one. I just want a phone and plan that will allow me to talk and text at will, and maybe occasionally check my email (though even that is not a necessity). Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

I personally haven't used one myself, but I would guess it has alot to do with where you live. I'm a youth pastor so naturally alot of our students have cell phones with carriers like you're talking about. Some of them complain they don't work well in some areas near where we live; however it works better in more populated areas. Since I live in an area that has alot of rural and heavily populated areas within 50 mile radius, I guess that is the same with even the contract providers. I'm with Verizon myself and haven't found many places my Blackberry doesn't work.

I've used Boost before. If it's just you and you don't plan on adding a line it is a good deal. Where it gets pricey is the second and 3rd lines. Also, you do have to purchase the phone upfront. You might want to checkout Walmart as well. They have a new cellular plan that is very competitive with the other companies.