• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

'doh!... Missed the presser... anything important said?

sturt

I can't remember it all - but he definitely made me smile.

The best part was, someone asked whether or not he has any plans for Philips arena - changing things, keeping the management of the arena, etc...

He said he can't comment on staffing at this time, but his only plan right now is to put a championship banner in the rafters.

:biggrin:

Nope. He was really nervous and continually answered questions by saying "i want to bring a championship to atlanta".

The only insightful comment I found was that he clarified the A$G position with the team. He said something along the lines of "they have a minority, noncontrolling stake for a period of time". So it sounds like they will eventually be completely bought out.

Nope. He was really nervous and continually answered questions by saying "i want to bring a championship to atlanta".

The only insightful comment I found was that he clarified the A$G position with the team. He said something along the lines of "they have a minority, noncontrolling stake for a period of time". So it sounds like they will eventually be completely bought out.

Nervous indeed, usually I'd be scared of that - but in this case, I feel like he is genuinely excited about owning a team and he has a ton of constraints because of the pending purchase AND lockout.

Nervous indeed, usually I'd be scared of that - but in this case, I feel like he is genuinely excited about owning a team and he has a ton of constraints because of the pending purchase AND lockout.

From what I can tell, it was definitely his first press conference and likely his first major public appearance. I'm not too concerned with that, there really want much to learn from this press conference from my perspective. So long as he is not the A$G I am happy.

• Moderators

I thought his comments about not being at all interested in the package when it included the Thrashers was interesting. He made it clear he wanted to get into the NBA more than just being an owner of a sports team.

I thought his comments about not being at all interested in the package when it included the Thrashers was interesting. He made it clear he wanted to get into the NBA more than just being an owner of a sports team.

To me he sounded like he was dancing around the question. He also didn't give clear indication that the A$G even allowed the thrashers to be in the discussion. If I am remembering right, the question was first "did you look at all three?" Then he said "i want a championship for this city". The question was then rephrased "were the thrashers ever involved in this deal" he responded "the thrashers were never part of the discussion".

So were the thrashers not part of it because you did not wish to purchase them or were they ever available? I didn't think much could be deduced from his response, but I may not be remembering the response correctly.

I heard his interview on 680 around 5:10.

He sounds very nervous and not used to answering media questions.

His pat answer was something to the effect that he'd bring a championship to the city of Atlanta. I actually thought that was the best part of the interview in that he at least understands the nervousness of some fans who think the team will be moved. Second, he's buying a house in Atlanta and will spend as much time here as needed to bring a championship (paraphrasing here, but that is pretty close to what he said).

Things I didn't like:

He was very nervous and really wouldn't speak outside of the championship line.

He sounds really young.

The last question Matt Chernoff asked was about La Pizza Loca being served in Phillips. His response was that he'd have to look into that. My translation is that there are contracts in place that might prevent him from introducing his food franchise into the arena at this point in time.

In all, i am cautiously excited. I will be happier when the ASG is completely out of the picture.

• Moderators

To me he sounded like he was dancing around the question. He also didn't give clear indication that the A$G even allowed the thrashers to be in the discussion. If I am remembering right, the question was first "did you look at all three?" Then he said "i want a championship for this city". The question was then rephrased "were the thrashers ever involved in this deal" he responded "the thrashers were never part of the discussion".

So were the thrashers not part of it because you did not wish to purchase them or were they ever available? I didn't think much could be deduced from his response, but I may not be remembering the response correctly.

My read is that he wanted to avoid discussing the Thrashers at all and when pressed admitted he had zero interest in acquiring them.

I heard his interview on 680 around 5:10.

He sounds very nervous and not used to answering media questions.

His pat answer was something to the effect that he'd bring a championship to the city of Atlanta. I actually thought that was the best part of the interview in that he at least understands the nervousness of some fans who think the team will be moved. Second, he's buying a house in Atlanta and will spend as much time here as needed to bring a championship (paraphrasing here, but that is pretty close to what he said).

Things I didn't like:

He was very nervous and really wouldn't speak outside of the championship line.

He sounds really young.

The last question Matt Chernoff asked was about La Pizza Loca being served in Phillips. His response was that he'd have to look into that. My translation is that there are contracts in place that might prevent him from introducing his food franchise into the arena at this point in time.

In all, i am cautiously excited. I will be happier when the ASG is completely out of the picture.

His nervousness in front of the media may be a good thing. It could be a sign that he's going to be a behind the scenes owner that will allow his basketball people to be the face of the franchise. I'd much rather have an owner or an ownership group that stands off at a distances and is only seen at games. I'd rather not have an owner who is constantly making comments in the media about how the team should be playing. IMO, your job as an owner is to provide the money for the team and hire good people to make the personnel decisions.

• Premium Member

I don't have a good read on that one, KB... he seems awfully happy with himself that he's going to be a new owner, so while I could see what you're saying, I could also see him being an alternative version of that guy in Dallas.

I don't take him as disingenuous at all, though. I think he's authentically passionate.

And as others have said, I would attribute any nervousness to, yes, (a) not having had the occasion to be in front of lights and media like that before, which is bound to be a pretty jolting experience if you've never been there, and (b) having to be particularly mindful to not screw up and say something that gets you in trouble before you're even welcomed to the NBA owners club.

His nervousness in front of the media may be a good thing. It could be a sign that he's going to be a behind the scenes owner that will allow his basketball people to be the face of the franchise. I'd much rather have an owner or an ownership group that stands off at a distances and is only seen at games. I'd rather not have an owner who is constantly making comments in the media about how the team should be playing. IMO, your job as an owner is to provide the money for the team and hire good people to make the personnel decisions.

In many ways I agree KB. Owners that don't know a thing about scouting, running practice, game planning, etc shoudln't be involved in that part of the franchise. Where I do think owners should be active is in the marketing of the team. In listening to people, either here on the internet boards (not a great sample) as well as in person, a single owner is seen as a more accessable and passionate owner. Thus, Meruelo should be active in that aspect of the team, which, at times, means getting on the players and making them do interviews and public appearances. The Hawks have to be one of the worst in getting their players out into the community to do things.

Overall, I think hope that he'll be the passionate and committed owner that us Hawks fans crave. My guess is he'll be very active in the direction of the team initially. That is understandable as he just spent $300 million to own the club. I just hope he makes more good decisions than bad.

I just read that Meruelo owns 80% of the team and arena. Wow, that is much more than I thought. I wonder how that last 20% is divided across the former ASGers. My guess is that Gearoon has the majority of that stake.

He was scared, really scared. I would imagine he has spoken in front of large groups of people before but it didnt look like it. Hopefully he is smart and makes good choices for bball people to run the show. Its not as much of how much $$$$ he will use as it is good smart choices. Look at Cuban who seemed to have endless resources to buy players and go into lux tax. He wanted to win more than most owners you see in any sport yet it still took him 11 years to bring a title to Dallas. Its not easy, not easy at all.

Edited by NJHAWK