• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

lethalweapon3

Where is ATL in the Southeast standings right now?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Based purely on where everyone is right now, before the free agent frenzy kickstarts, is it safe to pencil in the Hawks as the second-place squad in the Southeast Division? I think it is, but I’m curious if others feel differently. As for our division opponents:

HEAT – The "Big 3-Plus-Whatever" is probably enough to push Miami to at least the conference finals again. It could get tricky, though, if another team (Lakers? Kings? Suns?) is swayed by Chalmers’ late surge and gives him a ridiculous offer. Mike Miller may very well get the amnesty boot due to luxury tax complications. I believe they will sign Dalembert, but failing that, they could very well start the season with Norris Cole/Eddie House at the point and Joel Anthony/Dexter Pittman in the post. Sounds like lots of minutes on short rest for LeBron and Wade, and maybe even Bosh if Haslem’s health regresses. (early estimate: 70% wins)

Magic – Hey, Jameer. See you in third place! They’ll need him to return to at least 2009 levels of play just to have a chance to stay in contention. They gotta use amnesty this year on somebody (Gil? Hedo?), they just gotta. Still, if they cannot re-sign J-Rich, who are they trotting out at the wings? Redick? Q-Rich? Either one, as their best option, makes the bench look especially bad. They’re pretty well hamstrung by the salary cap in what could be Dwight’s last hurrah there, kind of a distraction for Stan Van and company. (early estimate: 55% wins)

Wizards – Wall and He Whose Name will try to light up the scoreboard, creating ample opportunities for Blatche and McGee to crash the boards. Will there be anyone on the other end of the floor making stops? Might a rookie (Singleton) compete for the starting role with a guy making the league’s second-biggest salary (Lewis)? Can another (Vesely) push Blatche and McGee out of their comfort zones? Washington has decent cap room but will be spreading it among five or six free agents. (early estimate: 40% wins)

Bobcats – Kemba can do for the Cats what Cam is doing down the street for the Panthers -- not necessarily win ballgames right away, but make things much more interesting for fans. It will be fascinating to see if the rest of the team can keep up the tempo. Will Tyrus Thomas return healthy and in shape, lest they have to rely on defensively-challenged Maggette? And how is Henderson’s hip, lest they have to rely on defensively-challenged Matt Carroll? MJ’s good buddy Kwame Brown has got to get re-signed. What they can get out of Biyombo this year, if anything given the FIBA issue, is up in the air. (early estimate: 25%-30% wins)

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Barring a Teague Derrick Rose evolution, I am seing 3rd most likely without Jamal and adding no one else. Possibly even 4th if we don't have anyone else who scores consistently other than JJ and/or Drew keeps the ISO offense he established mid-season of last year.

Let me add this. Without Jamal though I do see the potential for an elite defensive team, and if Drew can get it to work as a team, we could be competing with Miami for the #1 spot in the division.

• Like 1

We are 3rd unless we make a trade or Orlando trades Dwight. As it stands, we are 3rd.