• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do the Hawks struggle so badly against the Rockets?

hawks21

In the past the Hawks had difficulty in guarding Yao Ming a few years back and a younger T-Mac, but now the Rockets are primarily an undersized, jump-shooting team and the Hawks can't match up.

The Hawks can't guard Scola, Kevin Martin or even Chase Buddinger on a consistent basis....and made Kyle Lowery look like at All-Star.

Where's the perimeter defense?

At times, it seems like the Rockets just out-hustle the Hawks and Houston was playing their third game in three nights.

I know this team has played four games in five days, but so has everybody else.

Edited by hawks21

They probably have the highest bbiq in the NBA. The Hawks don't.

For one reason or another, you fail to realize we're an undersized jump-shooting team as well. In fact, we might be more undersized and more prone to taking jumpers than they are. The difference is that the Houston Rockets are an organized basketball team, while we're just a raw collection of talent.

Kevin McHale knows how to coach and gameplan according to the way the game's going for his team, Drew sadly cannot. When Drew did make a few changes and we cut it to 6 in the fourth quarter, the idiot puts back the lineup that had us down 15 at one point and we end up blowing the momentum and ultimately losing the game. Houston's game ball goes to Larry Drew with Josh Smith coming in at a close second.

Edited by SmooveZilla

Horford was in hiding for major parts of the game. Him and Josh have been having major communication issues this season. Josh had a bad Josh game. So many errors all around.

• Like 1

Horford was in hiding for major parts of the game. Him and Josh have been having major communication issues this season. Josh had a bad Josh game. So many errors all around.

I have to agree, Big Al was a non-factor and I believe he started the game missing three consecutive jumpers. I don't think he ever attempted to take it strong to basket to draw a foul.. He just settled and I believe that set a negative tone for the whole team. As for Josh, when I saw him look very bad attempting free throws in the first quarter, it appeared to be an indication that it could be a long night.

Rebounding has always been our achilles heel and when you have your PF and C outside the paint shooting jumpers, this happens. Hawks just don't understand boxing out and keeping a body on your man once a shot is taken.

If there was one team we should have dominated inside, it was the Rockets. And it took way too long for our guys (especially the bigs) to challenge them inside. Y'all are right, it may only be four games, but the lack of rebounding from Josh and Al has been worrisome. Stop taking so many dang jumpers and take it inside. As we have noticed, our jump shots won't fall every night, and when they don't, you have to attack the rim. So far, only Teague, Marvin, Joe (at times) and T Mac do it often. Josh and Al need to man up and attack the boards and the rim.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yesterday it was a combo of being outcoached and playing the 2nd night of a back to back. LD is going to have to trust his bench players and find lineups that are active. He's going to have to learn to go away from some players who are not on.

Plus, Lowry shred us up like cheese.

The excuse about the back to back game doesn't fly. Houston was playing their 3rd consecutive game and had more energy than us. They have players who just plain out hustle for every lose ball while the Hawks stand around waiting for the rebound to come to them. Go get the damn ball.

As Diesel said we were outcoached. What was LD thinking playing Marvin only 21 minutes-he said because T-Mac was playing good, why can't Marv and T-Mac play together if they are playing better than other players? LD is too rigid with his rotations.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I have one main problem with yesterday (and many minor ones) why the hell would you bring in Willie Green for Jeff Teague... EVER!??!?

We should have seen a Teague/JJ/T-Mac/Horf/Zaza

or

Teague/JJ/T-Mac/Marv/Zaza lineup for a few minutes.

We needed rebounding, a little speed (to hold Lowry and keep up with Martin/Budinger) and scoring. Josh was playing DUMB, Horf was non-existent, and we had problems throughout. We should have tried to MATCH UP. It was embarrassing watching Josh last night and watching Drew get outcoached.

That being said, it was just one game, and if we would have done a better job of holding Martin and Scola, and forcing Lowry to beat us, we could have came back. Also didn't like what I saw from Radmanovic, I don't mind him shooting, but his shots weren't in rhythm at all. Pargo and Green aren't working, we need to bring in someone else from the D-League until Hinrich gets back. Getting blocked by Lowry on that fast break layup was the final straw for me

• Premium Member

Yesterday it was a combo of being outcoached and playing the 2nd night of a back to back. LD is going to have to trust his bench players and find lineups that are active. He's going to have to learn to go away from some players who are not on.

Plus, Lowry shred us up like cheese.

This might be true, but we're missing inside play. We have dribble penetration, but we need a bruiser. We need some dirty work done and both of our frontcourt players are allergic to the paint.

A Horford for Howard swap would do wonders for this team. Dear God in Heaven... Imagine the interior D with Howard and Smoove. Instant R/x for rebounding. True post scoring. We'd have a face and a personality. Two home grown, electrifying talents - man, imagine the marketing with that. Oh sweet Lord...it would be gorgeous. I know I'm dreaming, but man if we could pull that off..........................................

I'd be tempted to do it just for the rental.......