• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The one year rental.

Diesel

• Premium Member

"The Sporting News wrote: The Orlando Magic are talking to teams not on Dwight Howard's wish list, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Howard, who has asked to be traded and can become a free agent after the 2011-12 season, has permission to negotiate a deal with the Nets, Lakers and Mavericks, but the Magic aren't married to sending the All-Star big man to any of those teams, despite the fact a guaranteed contract with one of them would likely increase Orlando's return.

Thus, the likelihood that Howard is acquired as a "rent-a-player" appears to have increased, and if the Magic are indeed exploring such deals, the logic would be that, as the March 15 trade deadline approaches, a team with a chance at a title would take a shot at trading for Howard without a guarantee that he'd play for them beyond June.

The Magic have said that they're in no rush to trade Howard, and according to ESPN.com, would prefer a package centered on veterans to a deal heavy on youth and draft picks."

So here's the deal.

Horford/Kirk/Marvin for Howard/Nelson

This gives us 1 shot at the title. Howard can leave in the offseason. We have lost Horf. But my question is:

IF we brought him here, do we have enough to woo him to resign with us.

Think about that team:

Howard, Smoove, Sf, Joe, Teague. with Tmac/Radman/Nelson/Zaza off the bench.

we are not giving up draft picks. IF Sund can't make him resign or a good SNT, we cast out everybody and say.. we tried.

What do you think?

• Premium Member

So here's the deal.

This gives us 1 shot at the title. Howard can leave in the offseason. We have lost Horf. But my question is:

Think about that team:

we are not giving up draft picks. IF Sund can't make him resign or a good SNT, we cast out everybody and say.. we tried.

What do you think?

Without a guarantee that he would re-sign, I'd say no. That team with Howard still has too many issues to be a legit title contender and if he leaves, then you've just lost Horford for nothing and he's too valuable for that. I think the Hawks need to start exploring trades that don't involve the the strong possibility of the "Danny Manning effect". I think the Hawks could discover other deals that make them better rather than the one for Dwight Howard.

Edited by Jody23

Without a guarantee that he would re-sign, I'd say no. That team with Howard still has too many issues to be a legit title contender and if he leaves, then you've just lost Horford for nothing and he's too valuable for that. I think the Hawks need to start exploring trades that don't involve the the strong possibility of the "Danny Manning effect". I think the Hawks could discover other deals that make them better rather than the one for Dwight Howard.

I agree. If Dwight will not commit. leave him alone. If he commits you pull the trigger.

Why would Teague start over Nelson?

Was this a serious question?...Nelson is garbage compared to Teague especially on defense. Yeah he hits 3's but that is it. Both are a shoot first pg except Teague can penetrate the lane, better in fastbreak, now can hit the 3 and play solid defense while nelson cant do any of that but hit the 3 point shot.....nelson has been like that his whole career! he's nothing scary, thats why he wasnt a problem for us last year! in fact we locked his *ss down right good at that.

Jeff Teague is better than Jameer Nelson? Yes

• Premium Member

Why would Teague start over Nelson?

Teague's already familiar with the system.

However, the other possibility is minime backcourt. Joe moves to Sf and Nelson plays PG while Teague does what he does at SG. Having Extralarge Howard playing C gives us that luxury.

• Premium Member

Personally, I like the deal NOW.

Let's be honest. As built, we're going nowhere. How many chances do you have to get a D-12. If we get him for a rental, let's do that and try our best to win and try our best to convince him to stay. If he leaves, you can say, you've tried. If He leaves, trade everybody and start over. But if he stays, we could have a championship in a year or two.

Honestly, if we're not trying to win and if we're not trying to get the best players, what are we doing?

Moreover, if he wants to go to NJ. Let's talk to NJ and see if they would send us Brook for Howard. If he wants to go to LAL, let's talk to them and see if we can get Bynum for Howard. However, for us to sit here and say we want to hold on to Horf and be the same team we have been for the last few years is us spitting in the eye of championship hopes.

I say the rental is worth the fees.

Was this a serious question?...Nelson is garbage compared to Teague especially on defense. Yeah he hits 3's but that is it. Both are a shoot first pg except Teague can penetrate the lane, better in fastbreak, now can hit the 3 and play solid defense while nelson cant do any of that but hit the 3 point shot.....nelson has been like that his whole career! he's nothing scary, thats why he wasnt a problem for us last year! in fact we locked his *ss down right good at that.

Jeff Teague is better than Jameer Nelson? Yes

....And Nelson is familiar with D12's game. Teague hasn't matured nearly enough and Jameer would fit into our system A LOT better than Teague currently does. Jameer can hit shots consistently and in the clutch. He has NBA Finals experience.

Not only that, but he actually has years of experience in running the point and calling plays, and he is still young.

So your advantage on Teague is that he plays D a little better and is a little quicker? Do get to ahead of yourself, chief. Better believe if we got ahold of Jameer Nelson he would start over Teague in a heartbeat.

Edited by Boss

Teague is not better than Nelson or Hinrich yet but he's a lot more talented then both as has a ton of potential.

I'm down for the deal Diesel...call your people and make it happen. wink3.gif

Seriously though...any dang way you could get your hands on a guy like D12 - do it IMO. Worry about the future in the future. You get a guy like Dwight and maybe a rich owner comes along, buys the team, makes assurances, and we start spending in luxury tax territory.

• Moderators

So here's the deal.

Think about that team:

What do you think?

If Horford walks it isn't worth it but this would be our best chance at becoming real contenders so I would make the deal. I would take the chance that Howard is more excited about playing in Atlanta with JJ and Josh than he is with Orlando's band of misfits.

...I would take the chance that Howard is more excited about playing in Atlanta with JJ and Josh than he is with Orlando's band of misfits.

Agreed - as the Atlanta Hawks I think we would have to gamble. Go for the Gold. It's not like we would be sacrificing messing up a decades-long history of success. Plus, it would be a gas watching D12 in a Hawks uniform.

Holy Cow (O.T.)...the Oregon Ducks are wearing chrome helmets !?

Back on topic...If we could get D12 or Cousins at a reasonable price we could move up as far as being really competitive. I hope half the ASG isn't in the Phillipine Islands out of cell phone range.

I mean really when you think about it. Look at the teams on his short list. The Nets? Seriously even with Howard and DWill they are a 7-8th seed and 1st round exit. Lakers? They gonna have to give up Bynum to get him so, an aging Kobe with Gasol equals the same Lakers team you see now IMO. The Mavericks? How do we know that D Will is going to sign there?

I think we are the best option. Do you know what D12 status would be if got ATL to the ECF, The Finals? s***, win the whole thing!!! It would be epic. Take a team that has never made to the Finals much less the ECF? Thats how you establish your self as one of the best.

Jordan did it with the Bulls. 6 titles all with Jordan and probably will never win another one.

Bird with the Celtics, Magic with the Lakers. What about when Chuck to the Suns to the finals he was worshiped up there with Mike during that time, even though they did win that series was epic.

I mean what he is getting in DAL that he cant get in ATL?

No offense and im black but dam ATL is built for a black superstar. Could you imagine if AI was drafted by the Hawks? ATL is begging for a superstar. Cna you imagine all the superstars in ATL that would turn out for Hawk games, Jersey sold?

You gonna sit here and tell me that a line up of

JJ

Josh

D12

Teague

(a young SF)

wouldnt be able to win a title. Or give the Heat major problems? Another bonus that you could throw at d12 to resign is that Josh and him will be entering their prime and Teague would be just getting ready. So we have time to get it together plus still have a win now attitude.

I love Horf but i would make the move. Horf, Marv, and picks.