• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks need to find J-Co's replacement

frankthetank966

After reviewing last night's game, the Hawks must find a legitimate replacement for Jason Collins. His basketball IQ is low, he isn't a threat offensively, and his defensive has been horrible.Despite the fact that he is returning from an injury, it's clear he didn't work very to stay in shape. He is slow and his speed hurts the team. He makes novice mistakes over and over again and shouldn't be in the game unless we are facing Dwight. Last night he was plugged in went Zaza went out of the game to get stiched up. It's a shame he got so many minutes because the team regressed when he was on the court.There are several free agent centers that were waived that the Hawks should look at. If this ownership is serious about making a run in the playoffs we need to find a backup center.

The Hawks only had 9 warm bodies able to play last night. Collins playing time was nothing more then a lack of nutrition. When Stackhouse has to play 16 minutes you know the injuries and fatigue are piling up on our aging bench..........especially in the 2nd of back to back games.JJ was in foul trouble limiting him to 36 minutes.........but that is his both his season average and career average for mpg.In my opinion blaming Drew is not right in this situation.

Edited by coachx

The Hawks only had 9 warm bodies able to play last night. Collins playing time was nothing more then a lack of nutrition. When Stackhouse has to play 16 minutes you know the injuries and fatigue are piling up on our aging bench..........especially in the 2nd of back to back games.JJ was in foul trouble limiting him to 36 minutes.........but that is his both his season average and career average for mpg.In my opinion blaming Drew is not right in this situation.

Why was Ivan given only 10 minutes when he's a 100x better than Collins?? Please explain Drews reason for that absolutely ridiculous decision..?
  • Like 1

Why was Ivan given only 10 minutes when he's a 100x better than Collins?? Please explain Drews reason for that absolutely ridiculous decision..?

My guess would be b/c its tough to play a 6'7'' guy at center vs. that big 7 footer Boston had coming off the bench (Stiemsma).Here is a article today about the Hawks injury woes: http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-update-1391214.html

My guess would be b/c its tough to play a 6'7'' guy at center vs. that big 7 footer Boston had coming off the bench (Stiemsma).Here is a article today about the Hawks injury woes: http://www.ajc.com/s...te-1391214.html

That and the fact that I dunno, maybe they felt that JC needs to get some time on the court to get back into playing shape and comfortable with his teammates? It kills me to see how far some will go to crucify LD, much the same way people did to Woody, and now some of those same people are looking nostalgically at Woody.

When in shape, Jason has proven he can play very nice situational defense. Remember the playoff series against Orlando last year? I seem to remember Jason doing yeoman's work helping to keep Dwight from dominating the paint the entire series. And he was never brought here to be an offensive boost in any way so that argument is not relevant to his role on the Hawks

• Moderators

@jfleminghoops:

Hornets claiming Chris Johnson off waivers saves Portland a few hundred thousand

Cool hard ca$h (or, the prospects of not having to pay some out) would be the only argument that would appeal to the A$G to waive anybody at this point. If anything, JaCo saved his spot on the roster, by showing other teams why it wouldn't be prudent to claim him off waivers.

~lw3

• Like 1

What killed me about Collins last night was him being 0-4 from the free throw line. That killed us. I could go into other things as well, however missed free throws are big pet peeve of mine.

What killed me about Collins last night was him being 0-4 from the free throw line. That killed us. I could go into other things as well, however missed free throws are big pet peeve of mine.

Exactly! Drews stupid as hell! Now ask yourselves, would Doc Rivers or Phil Jackson make that decision? Hellllllll Noooooo!!!!

Exactly! Drews stupid as hell! Now ask yourselves, would Doc Rivers or Phil Jackson make that decision? Hellllllll Noooooo!!!!

I'm pretty sure that Rivers or Jackson wouldn't have been allowed to shoot those FTs anymore than LD was.

• Premium Member

When in shape, Jason has proven he can play very nice situational defense. Remember the playoff series against Orlando last year? I seem to remember Jason doing yeoman's work helping to keep Dwight from dominating the paint the entire series. And he was never brought here to be an offensive boost in any way so that argument is not relevant to his role on the Hawks

C'mon. Please spare me of this bull crap. We had a 6-game series, and Howard 'failed' to dominate the paint in just one of those (the one the Hawks were down 20+ @ halftime, that game he played less than 30 minutes). We didn't win because of Collins, but because their shooters were plain awful all series long.46-1933-1921-1529-178-825-11How is that NOT dominating the paint?Collins is trash. Simple as that.

Why are we paying Dampier to warm the bench. He could have at least played a few of those nightmare minutes.I hear that Ivan will be unavailable for tonights game ... down yet another body ... sigh!Futlile wish of the day: Go after Diaw and then jettison both Collins and Dampier. Of course there's probably no way he would even entertain coming back here ... sigh again! The village idiots (mgmt. & ownership) and Larry Drew hurt us in so many ways it's beyond pitiful. There are days I really think I'm the idiot for renewing my season tickets.

C'mon. Please spare me of this bull crap. We had a 6-game series, and Howard 'failed' to dominate the paint in just one of those (the one the Hawks were down 20+ @ halftime, that game he played less than 30 minutes). We didn't win because of Collins, but because their shooters were plain awful all series long.46-1933-1921-1529-178-825-11How is that NOT dominating the paint?Collins is trash. Simple as that.

Reasoning with you is probably futile but read my post again. I said he helped to keep Dwight from dominating the "entire" series. Whether or not you want to concede the fact, he did contribute positively with his defense on Dwight in that series.

Reasoning with you is probably futile but read my post again. I said he helped to keep Dwight from dominating the "entire" series. Whether or not you want to concede the fact, he did contribute positively with his defense on Dwight in that series.

How quickly they forget Eddie!

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/4/15/2112319/orlando-magic-atlanta-hawks-playoff-preview-jason-collins-dwight-howard

That success carried into this season as well, and credit first-year Hawks coach Larry Drew for trusting Collins against Orlando. Collins averaged 19.8 minutes per game against the Magic, compared to 11.4 against all other clubs. Though Howard still scored better than one point every two minutes against Atlanta--19.3 points in 37.1 minutes, to be precise--Collins limited his efficiency; Howard's 43.1 percent shooting mark against Atlanta is his worst against any team this season.

Thanks to PopcornMachine GameFlows and ESPN play-by-play data, we can further isolate instances in which Collins and Howard played together. The results are staggering: in the 78:10 both players shared the court this season, Howard shot 14-of-33 (42.4 percent) and committed 13 turnovers. The data don't tell us whether or not Collins actually defended Howard on each possession--he could have gotten caught on a switch, or lost in transition--but they nonetheless show Collins' tremendous defensive impact.

As a bonus for Atlanta, Collins does more than bottle Howard up: he also limits his minutes by drawing fouls. In the teams' most recent meeting, Howard committed two fouls against Collins in the game's first four minutes, forcing him to the bench until the start of the second period. The score stood at 6-6 when Howard exited, but Atlanta had a 27-25 edge when he returned. In the first two minutes of the next period, with Howard back on the floor, the Magic went on a 9-0 run to take a five-point lead.

Collins drew eight of the 14 fouls Howard committed against the Hawks this season; five were offensive outright, and another two came in a loose-ball situation, which automatically gave Atlanta possession. Generally speaking, both teams play at slow paces, which raises the value of each trip down the floor. The Magic must limit their giveaways anyway, but especially ones which also tack a foul onto their best player.

The good news for Orlando is Howard utterly dominated the Hawks whenever Collins sat, which indicates it's in the Magic's best interest to saddle Collins with fouls to keep him on the bench. In 69 minutes versus the Hawks without Collins on the floor, Howard overwhelmed Atlanta offensively to the tune of 47 points on 13-of-16 shooting. That Howard attempted almost twice as many foul shots (31) as field goals with Collins benched indicates how vital Collins is to Atlanta's success, as neither his backups (Zaza Pachulia, Josh Powell, and Etan Thomas) nor the other Hawk capable of playing center (two-time All-Star Al Horford) can muscle Howard out of the lane or limit his easy shot attempts.

That Atlanta views Collins as a "Howard Stopper" is not news; that much became clear when Drew plugged Collins into his starting five when his Hawks played the Magic for the first time this season. That Collins has enjoyed success against Howard isn't exactly a surprise either. But now we know the extent to which the unassuming veteran can limit Howard. And those results are simply too eye-popping to ignore.

In my opinion, Collins handling of Dwight Howard was over-lauded by analysts around the country and a few of the members of this site, just because people were surprised to see Collins have any impact at all. The fact of the matter was, Jason Collins was dominated 95% of the time by Dwight Howard during that series.He was able to take a few charges which was nice (Dwight didn't foul out of a single game however) and was able to have a few poke-aways as well. But Dwight exceeded his season average in offensive rebounds, total rebounds, scoring and field goal percentage (though I am not deep in stats enough to prove who that domination came against, seeing as how he ate up Hilton and Josh Powell)In that series, Jason Collins played 103+ minutes and had 7 (seven!) defensive rebounds, about one every 15 minutes of game time.He has no vertical, no lateral quickness and his main positive contribution during that series was that he flopped decently. Couple that with his non-existence on the offensive end, and Collins' helpfulness dips even more because he can't draw fouls on Dwight in an attempt to get him into foul trouble.I just don't see how anybody can praise him for doing more than just having his 6 fouls.Dolfan, can you find the stats from the playoffs though? Edited by Colin