• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Shot the Ball 26 Times

MoBetta

Your cyber words have no hold on my attitude so respond how feel my man. Once again, you've over analyzed what I've stated. Sure, starts are for people trying to find a deeper understanding of a subject. But before all of this wonderful stat technology, the game focused more on raw decision making and ability. Stat watching has given way to numerous first round busts in the NFL, MLB, and the NBA. Look at the stats of Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, and Dennis Rodman. Did there stats say tons about their games? Or was it enough for scout watching them play in college?

Because there were no first round busts before advanced metrics, everyone who passed the eye test was able to play well at their position. Please, go feed your anti stat bull to someone that will eat it.

Why does Josh need 20+ shots to be an effective player. He can still assists, rebound, block, and steal without taking as many shots. But hey, Josh is apparently our "best offensive player". He has taken the most shots out of all hawks this season.

Just about everyone else has missed games. Also, no jamal crawford who took alot shots. Thats probably why his shots are higher. As for last night, joe only played 30 min and i think we only played 8 guys so someone was going to take more shots. Atleast 2 were at the end of the shot clock.I would expect his shots to go back down to around 20.

Thanks! I enjoy reading condescending responses!Anyway you are sorely mistaken if you think that Josh cannot dictate the flow of the game when he plays in the post. When josh plays on the block he is a top 5 inside scoring threat. The Hawks winning and losing games hinges largely on how Josh decides to play every night. He is the most important player on this team both offensively and defensively. The Bulls dont have an inside force good enough to stop Josh, neither do the Heat or any other team in the eastern conference sans Orlando,

Josh is all world and no one else outside of Atlanta knows this, I am sorry about the condesending tone but its homer comments about how great Josh is and how great he is going to be that put me in that mood. Josh is good but Josh is not and never will be great.And him being the most important player on our team is exactly what we are talking about. You can argue pretty well he is and last time I checked he has never lead us out of the 2nd round. In fact here is a stat on how playoff great Josh is, in a half season of playoff games, 41, he has choked his way to a career FG% of .426. For a great starting NBA all world power forward, how great is that?Right now he is leading us to a 6th seed and it is not going to get much better than that if he is going to be our best and most important player... Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

I agree. However, at the same time, it is a little frustrating watching him because you know he could be such a better player if he would be more selective with his shooting and attack the basket, even if all he does is draw a foul. He reminds me so much of Andruw Jones with the Braves. Andruw was a great defensive center fielder, tremendous power hitter, and could drive in a lot of runs. However, his weakness was anything on the outside edge of the plate because he pulled off everything. Because he never corrected that weakness, he never became the player he was capable of becoming.With that said, I do wonder if Josh would be more selective with his shooting if he played in a faster pace scheme. Part of me thinks that Josh "settles" for 16-23 foot jumpers because of the style the Hawks play. Josh is assisted on a lot of his jumpers (about 74% of them), so that makes me think that he's not clearing out for himself and taking contested jumpers. He's getting swung open by the offense and is missing open jumpers.

I have heard the Jones/Smith comparison before and definitely see where you are coming from. I will note that of course Josh isn't taking contested jumpers because teams intentionally leave him open to try to goad him into taking those shots so he definitely gets the ball passed to him when he is wide open on the perimeter, the defense all but waits hoping they can get a jump shot from him, and then he shoots an open jumper. I cannot imagine the ugliness of what it would be like if people were clearing out and he was taking people one on one to get contested jumpers ala Monte Ellis.

He's getting swung open by the offense and is missing open jumpers.

It is exactly like what AHF said. He is left open but with a player squared up playing off. He has trouble making a uncontested foul shot, of course they are begging him to take one outside of 18ft lol

FYI, one of Josh's shots was a pass that skimmed the rim and had to be counted as a shot. Technically he took 25 shots.He was 0-4 to start the game. From then on out he is technically 14 of 21.

You can say that about anyone any night lol...he was 0 for something at some point in the game. Pretty much every bad shooting night by anyone will have a 0-3 to 0-6 in it that if you take it out would be a great shooting night.Just like in golf, there is no do overs in basketball either....

• Premium Member

I remember I once went 0-6 to start the game, but then I hit 100% of my shots to end 1-7. Man, that was great! Posted Image

Josh had a good game, but that doesn't make him the best player in the team. Like some of you guys like to say...

"ONE GAME"

Edited by BrazilianHawk

I remember I once went 0-6 to start the game, but then I hit 100% of my shots to end 1-7. Man, that was great! Posted Image

Josh had a good game, but that doesn't make him the best player in the team. Like some of you guys like to say...

"ONE GAME"

Well done sir

The problem I have with the volume shooting is that this will not work come playoff time. When things tighten up and teams get gritty that crap is not going to work. teams will capitalize on those stupid jumpers that come at the worst time. I don't want this volume shooting to carry over into the playoffs.a team where Josh Smith is your best player is a team that will not go very far. I will stand by that statement.

Yes sir, in playoffs every posession counts...

Yes sir, in playoffs every posession counts...

A team run by the ASG will not make it far. I really hope Josh goes to another team. He deserves to get away from this shitty "fan" base. No pargo, Mcgraddy, Radmo, Horford. Teague took 14 shots. Joe disappeared against a good team, again, Hinrich was invisible. Tell me, who should be taking shots for this team. Marvin? Willie? Yeah those 2 will definitely take us where we want to go! This thread sucks.

Or his rebounds, blocks, steals, assists, or defensive presence and leadership. Finally something i agree with you about.

I'm not saying that Josh is not a great player, he is. But he isn't a smart one and that's what makes and breaks you in big games. If Josh took his jumpers and instead made a play for someone else or played near the rim we would win more games. It's as simple as that. Josh provides so many things on the court but because he can do everything doesn't mean that he should, if he was a little bit more conservative he would be a better and smarter player.

I agree. Id like him to shoot closer in but like i said earlier, who else is supposed to shoot lately. It seems like everyone is hurt. With a full squad, josh wouldnt shoot as much as he has been lately. His inside game is fantastic. Too bad the ASG went cheap on coaches for his and marvin's development. I can live with the shots if he continues to produce everywhere else.

I agree. Id like him to shoot closer in but like i said earlier, who else is supposed to shoot lately. It seems like everyone is hurt. With a full squad, josh wouldnt shoot as much as he has been lately. His inside game is fantastic. Too bad the ASG went cheap on coaches for his and marvin's development. I can live with the shots if he continues to produce everywhere else.

Last night is a good example of why we cant live with his shots even if he does everything else. When Josh sits on the perimeter people slack off of him, we have all seen it happen often during games. This is gonna leave an extra defender on Joe or at least in Joe's perimeter. So there you have it our team main scoring threats are not threats because one of them thinks he is Ray Allen, and that allows the other one to be doubled.
  • Like 1

I'm glad the conversation has moved a little. What they are doing is "playing through" someone. You can't play through Joe all the time and we got away from it when Joe was ailing. You can play through Kirk a little as he can draw fouls going to the basket but not enough be a real threat. Teague is good at getting to the rim but not good at finishing or dishing. If Teague would have better vision while driving, we could play through him. This is again why we miss Al. Al is a more diverse offensive player inside 10 feet than Josh is and can take some of that "Play through him" necessity on his shoulders. This is why we struggle when Josh, Joe go out of the game. None of our good bench players have been healthy enough to play through them consistently (not tracy, Rad, Pargo or Green). No one else can get their own shot or shoot the 3 consistently.

• Like 1

I'm glad the conversation has moved a little. What they are doing is "playing through" someone. You can't play through Joe all the time and we got away from it when Joe was ailing. You can play through Kirk a little as he can draw fouls going to the basket but not enough be a real threat. Teague is good at getting to the rim but not good at finishing or dishing. If Teague would have better vision while driving, we could play through him. This is again why we miss Al. Al is a more diverse offensive player inside 10 feet than Josh is and can take some of that "Play through him" necessity on his shoulders. This is why we struggle when Josh, Joe go out of the game. None of our good bench players have been healthy enough to play through them consistently (not tracy, Rad, Pargo or Green). No one else can get their own shot or shoot the 3 consistently.

I agree we need Al back. Not only is he more versitile than Josh but he also gives us another legit scoring threat. You cant double Joe and leave Josh open for a jumper when you have AL on the floor, he spreads our offense out.

I don't know. Joe would probably get double teamed no matter where josh is on the floor but I see the point that it doesn't help when josh is on the perimeter.Considering the state of this roster, the guys are fighting hard and, for the most part, responding well to the challenge.