• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta continues to show why they have the worst fans

capstone21

Let me drop my 2 cents in.1st. The biggest myth that we have is that the people who come to hawks games and cheer for the other team is FROM that area. WRONG. Most folks who cheer for the Bulls aren't from Chicago. People who cheer for the Heat aren't from Miami. Same thing goes for the Lakers, Knicks, Thunder or any other good team. People in Atlanta are the biggest d*ck riders and bandwagoners in America. People here just think its cool to root for any good team that Atlanta goes against. Pistons don&#39;t get many cheers when they come here. Neither does Portland. Trust me, if the Wizards or Bobcats became good they would get lots of bandwagon fans coming to the games as well. Rooting against the hawks id the fun thing to do. Rooting FOR the hawks is not the hip thing to do.</p

Atlanta natives are not d@ck riders to the extent they will pay to see other teams play and beat their home team. The problem with natives is that they are too nonchalant about our sports teams.If the Wizards and Bobcats started to win you will see a lot of their fans come out more only because it's where they are from and since the team is wining they feel more inclined to spend at least $20 to see them while in town.

For a perfect *ss example:

Arrogant. What's funny is that it seems to only happen to ATL Hawk fans. I don't see it in any other ATL sport. People choosing sides between players on teams for the Falcons or Braves. If you congratulate a player for doing excellent, then they feel that their player is be downgraded, so they feel like the new to retaliate. I wish the Hawks fans would come together as one and enjoy ATL Hawks basketball. It's what we have, we can't do nothing about it. It's pathetic that I only see this as Hawks thing. That's why I'm starting to think most Hawks fan only watch NBA.

I wonder if most Hawks fan are just basketball fans or sports fanatics. I'm starting to think most people that love the Hawks only like the NBA.

I disagree that fans of the Falcons and Braves don't choose sides. Mike Vick (before the dogs) sides were taken, even now with Matt Ryan - fans choose sides. I don't follow baseball but I'm sure their fans pick sides.

I worked in an office with 140 people about 20 were born and raised in Atlanta.

Hire me and I'll find someone to take birdbrain off our hands

Lmao! I would tell you to wait to see how he plays first under a real coach who disciplines their players. He's already playing great bball, but I would want the coach to discipline him when he takes unnecessary shots. Edited by AHawks89

I disagree that fans of the Falcons and Braves don't choose sides. Mike Vick (before the dogs) sides were taken, even now with Matt Ryan - fans choose sides. I don't follow baseball but I'm sure their fans pick sides.I worked in an office with 140 people about 20 were born and raised in Atlanta.

I've never been a Falcon fan. Well, I pulled for them over any team but the Steelers. Personally, I've never liked Vick, but I do know he was huge in ATL as the fan base goes. I still see Vick jerseys around all of the time. Haha @ (before the dogs)I'm trying to think of the biggest stars in the past 20 years that have been huge in ATL.

As an outsider (both as someone who moved to Atlanta as an adult and as a fan of another team - the celtics) let me just say that there is nothing particularly bad about Atlanta fans. I generally don't like these claims that fans of X team are this, or of Y team are that. People are people. Differences in the level of team support have a lot more to do with demographics and market than they have to do with the team.For example, the point that Hawks fans are too negative on their own team is just outright false. Take a look at any celtics fan forums and you will see people demanding to trade Rondo, wanting Ainge fired, and wanting Doc gone despite 2 finals and 1 championship in 4 years. All fans are like that.The real reason Atlanta fans don't show up are related to 3 things:1- large section of the population from outside town. Someone posted the cite above. But if you look at middle class and above, who are the people who could afford to go to the games, I'd bet closer to 3/4s are out of towners.2- Poor infrastructure. If you don't live by a MARTA station, you are going to be stuck in traffic for a long time to get to a 7pm game.3- Just too much to do. Atlanta is a great city, with great weather, lot's of cheap entertainment alternatives, 2 other pro sports teams, 2 top college programs, and several minor leagues.In Boston in January, you go to celtics games because it is very easy to get to the garden (several lines take you there) and there is very little you can do with your family on a cold winter night. In Atlanta, on a january evening it is still warm enough outside to grill in your backyard, and sometimes even to go play outside.

• Like 2

I disagree that fans of the Falcons and Braves don't choose sides. Mike Vick (before the dogs) sides were taken, even now with Matt Ryan - fans choose sides. I don't follow baseball but I'm sure their fans pick sides.I worked in an office with 140 people about 20 were born and raised in Atlanta.

I myself am not from Atlanta and would have never been a hawks fan had my mom not moved down there whrn I was young. Now my nephew was born in Atlanta and is an Atlanta sports fan mainly because he worships the ground I walk on (lol) and just wants to do everything I do but it also helps that he was born here....now even at his young age he's around nothing but people putting down the hawks and it makes him question rather he should be a fan or not because they never actually win anything and he just hates tryin to talk about with other people bc they always make him feel bad about it.....and these are Atlanta natives we're talkin about. I have to constantly talk him off the ledge but that's cool with me, if i can save just one future hawks fan I'm good with that.

Really that last post was supposed to be about braved fans also choosing sides....there were plenty fans last year arguing over Jason heyward and Freddie freeman.....Jason had a down year and Freddie was really tearing it up for a stretch but it became a debate about who was the better prospect which made fans actually completely pick one and just start not picking and hating the other, exactly what goes on here.

I wish Hawks fan could argue about which draft pick we picked was going to be better. That's what you call good arguing haha. But anyways, Freddie will hit 30+ HRs. I'm not sure if Freddie played today, but before todays game he hit 3 Hr's in his last 10 ABs. Chipper and the new batting coaches have been working with Heyward and his swing is back to normal. Love what I'm seeing from Heyward and Freeman.

Edited by AHawks89

I haven't had a chance to see or keep up with any of the sprung training games so It's good to hear that Jason has his swing looking good again and i hope ur right about Freddie....it would be nice to be able to say we actually have some cornerstones at catcher, first, and the outfield. I think we're going to have to eventually give up some of this pitching and get the left side of the infield taken care of

The real reason Atlanta fans don't show up are related to 3 things:1- large section of the population from outside town. Someone posted the cite above. But if you look at middle class and above, who are the people who could afford to go to the games, I'd bet closer to 3/4s are out of towners.2- Poor infrastructure. If you don't live by a MARTA station, you are going to be stuck in traffic for a long time to get to a 7pm game.3- Just too much to do. Atlanta is a great city, with great weather, lot's of cheap entertainment alternatives, 2 other pro sports teams, 2 top college programs, and several minor leagues.You nailed it! Those reasons are exactly why you get a mix bag of fans. I stated in an earlier post about your first point about the demographics of Atlanta. There is 4 sides to Atlanta and 3 out of the 4 are predominately low income areas until just recently due to gentrification. A lot of the people with money in Atlanta are not from here and they continue to follow their home teams. I run into people all the time who are surprised when they find out that I was born and raised in Atlanta because they rarely meet someone who is.

Really that last post was supposed to be about braved fans also choosing sides....there were plenty fans last year arguing over Jason heyward and Freddie freeman.....Jason had a down year and Freddie was really tearing it up for a stretch but it became a debate about who was the better prospect which made fans actually completely pick one and just start not picking and hating the other, exactly what goes on here.

Fans here for the past 5 yrs have been split on whether to keep Chipper or not because of his inability to remain healthy

As an outsider (both as someone who moved to Atlanta as an adult and as a fan of another team - the celtics) let me just say that there is nothing particularly bad about Atlanta fans. I generally don't like these claims that fans of X team are this, or of Y team are that. People are people. Differences in the level of team support have a lot more to do with demographics and market than they have to do with the team.For example, the point that Hawks fans are too negative on their own team is just outright false. Take a look at any celtics fan forums and you will see people demanding to trade Rondo, wanting Ainge fired, and wanting Doc gone despite 2 finals and 1 championship in 4 years. All fans are like that.The real reason Atlanta fans don't show up are related to 3 things:1- large section of the population from outside town. Someone posted the cite above. But if you look at middle class and above, who are the people who could afford to go to the games, I'd bet closer to 3/4s are out of towners.2- Poor infrastructure. If you don't live by a MARTA station, you are going to be stuck in traffic for a long time to get to a 7pm game.3- Just too much to do. Atlanta is a great city, with great weather, lot's of cheap entertainment alternatives, 2 other pro sports teams, 2 top college programs, and several minor leagues.In Boston in January, you go to celtics games because it is very easy to get to the garden (several lines take you there) and there is very little you can do with your family on a cold winter night. In Atlanta, on a january evening it is still warm enough outside to grill in your backyard, and sometimes even to go play outside.

I would agree with most of what you said, but I would have to disagree with your second point. The infrastructure does not keep people from all over Atlanta from filling up the Georgia Dome for the Falcons or Braves, no matter the time or day of the week. If people want to watch, they will find a way to get there.

I think part of problem is the Hawks were a non-factor for so long, no-one believes they will ever be a factor (except die-hard fans). The Hawks still have a lot to prove to the casual basketball fan but I think they are getting there.

Truest statement that I have heard on this subject yet.

I would agree with most of what you said, but I would have to disagree with your second point. The infrastructure does not keep people from all over Atlanta from filling up the Georgia Dome for the Falcons or Braves, no matter the time or day of the week. If people want to watch, they will find a way to get there.Truest statement that I have heard on this subject yet.

I would agree with most of what you said, but I would have to disagree with your second point. The infrastructure does not keep people from all over Atlanta from filling up the Georgia Dome for the Falcons or Braves, no matter the time or day of the week. If people want to watch, they will find a way to get there.Truest statement that I have heard on this subject yet.

Falcons' attendance ranking these past few years, as a percentage of tickets sold:17th, 19th, 23rdBraves' attendance ranking these past few years as percentage of tickets sold:20th, 17th, 17thNot much better than the hawks as a percentage of tickets sold:20th, 19th, 20thRight now I am really close to a marta station. If I want to go to a game, it is a 10 minute train ride for me. If I were to drive, it would be 30 minutes in regular traffic conditions. Worse than average and it would be even longer.

Falcons' attendance ranking these past few years, as a percentage of tickets sold:17th, 19th, 23rdBraves' attendance ranking these past few years as percentage of tickets sold:20th, 17th, 17thNot much better than the hawks as a percentage of tickets sold:20th, 19th, 20thRight now I am really close to a marta station. If I want to go to a game, it is a 10 minute train ride for me. If I were to drive, it would be 30 minutes in regular traffic conditions. Worse than average and it would be even longer.

Falcons rank from 2009 to 2011, 17th, 15th, and 15th in average attendanceBraves rank 15, 13 , 15 for same years average attendanceHawks are 20, 18, and 22 for same years average attendanceBack when the Hawks had Nique and were truly championship level there were seasons when the Hawks ranked 11th to 14th...in the middle or better given the number of teams. I think for Atlanta sports in general in the middle is pretty good. But if you want that kind of attendance, you have to give casual fans some hope. Contsantly getting beat by the elite teams is dismal not hopefull... Edited by Buzzard

Falcons rank from 2009 to 2011, 17th, 15th, and 15th in average attendanceBraves rank 15, 13 , 15 for same years average attendanceHawks are 20, 18, and 22 for same years average attendanceBack when the Hawks had Nique and were truly championship level there were seasons when the Hawks ranked 11th to 14th...in the middle or better given the number of teams. I think for Atlanta sports in general in the middle is pretty good. But if you want that kind of attendance, you have to give casual fans some hope. Contsantly getting beat by the elite teams is dismal not hopefull...

Either way, all 3 teams are middle of the pack or worse. Not much to do with the hawks specifically.

Either way, all 3 teams are middle of the pack or worse. Not much to do with the hawks specifically.

No and we pretty much agree. I was going to games back then and as far back as Danny Roundfield ( my favorite Hawk from my early years ). If the Hawks had a true contender no doubt in my mind they would move up to at least 15 which would put them right in the middle of a 30 team league.The real problem is the week days for Atlanta sports. Atl has one of the longest average commutes of the top 20 cities in the country. I remember the weekends always being sell outs when we were close to being one of the great NBA teams, but on a week day you could still get to the middle rows unless it was one of the better teams of that time.People do not want to work until 4 or 5pm, spend a hour to two hours in traffic going home, then drive another half hour to hour after dinner back into Atlanta. I am talking about the suburbs of course. Cobb Gwinnet etc...On the bright side, no matter how good the Hawks get, the rabid fan will always be able to get a decent seat Mon. through Thurs...

Im 35 years old. Die hard Hawks, Braves, and Falcons fan all my life. I dont even play with other teams in video games. Im not from ATL. I was born and raised in VA. If it wasnt for TBS, the Braves sucking and free Hawks games on TBS i would probably would be a Wizards, Redskin, Nats fan, but anyways....Points/Ideas i would like to makeo Die hard fans will come and support reguardlesso If you want the casual fan to come out and support and spend 100 bucks for a famiy night to the game, you have to win games. You have to be able to beat the elite teams or at least make it a game and not get blown out. The worst thing you can do is get blown out by the Heat, Bulls, Knicks, Lakers, OKC AT HOME. Thats when the casual fan comes out and when you get blown out it just looks so bad, but making it a good competitive game can make a world of difference.o ATL is full of superstars. Last night at the knick game T.I. was there. ASG needs to have free seats for the stars living in ATL to attend the games. Only condition I would have would be that they wear the free Hawks jersey we will give them.o I like the free seats for the GA State students but i think it needs to be more organized and they need better seats. Im also a Seattle Sounders FC fan and a member of the ECS(Emerald City Supporters) and we stand and cheer 90 mins straight winning or losing. I remember we were losing 2-0 and really getting whipped but we just kept singing and drowning out the Timbers Army (another supporter group from Portland) That i hate. Singing songs leading the whole Century Link field in cheers. Just Youtube Emerald City Supporters and you will what i mean. Best fans in the MLS hands down. That would just help out the atmosphere of Phillips and help drown out any out of town fans.o The ASG does a terrible job marketing Joe, Josh, and AL. Just terrible. I like the Insani-Teague idea but the commerical was cheap. They didnt do alot to hype it up. I personally think they need to have some to start throwing rumors out there in the papers to get a buzz going. Nothing major but just some silly stuff like.."Smoove feels snub about the all star game and says it should be him and not Deng that should be there." just something to get the people to talk about the stars of the team.oNext get rid of that stupid organ in Phillips. Every other team plays real music. Either play real music or get them bands from them HBCs to go at it at half time or during the game. I would have a band in there and everytime them out of town fans start to cheer have a certain song for teh band to play to drown them out. I think that would be hilarious.But at the end of the day. You have to win, win, win, no matter what. Show the fans you care. We getting blown out have some one get kicked out the game or something to at least show the fans the team has passion. The Hawks look like they just roll over when they are getting blown out and dont care. Getting to the playoffs is so 08,09. You cant even argue with other fans because all we can say we lost in the second round.I have alot more to say but my fingers are tired from all that other typing. ill finish later.

• Like 1

oNext get rid of that stupid organ in Phillips. Every other team plays real music. Either play real music or get them bands from them HBCs to go at it at half time or during the game. I would have a band in there and everytime them out of town fans start to cheer have a certain song for teh band to play to drown them out. I think that would be hilarious.

I like this idea. Hell they don't have to get a HBCU they could get a one of those traditional High School marching bands to play like Redan, Lovejoy, Lithonia etc. This is if the Arena don't wanna play real music.

• Moderators

I'm a huge, huge fan of @SirFoster and know his musical talents are brutally underutilized by the masterminds at Philips. But I'm with tone and others that the organ probably needs to go. For me it's not so much the organ itself, but how it's used in the midst of gameplay. It's so bad in its ineffectiveness it literally deserves its own thread.My biggest peeve? I have to pick one? Well, the..."let's go hawks.""let's go Hawks.""Let's go Hawks.""Let's Go Hawks.""LET'S GO HAWKS.""LET'S GO HAWKS!"...three-note progression seems so self-defeating, it comes across like we're trying to simply revive them rather than encourage them. Three-notes instead of four seems like it throws off the whole rhythm. Playing it when they're down by 12 or after they've blown a decent lead, it comes across as "Wake the F@#$ Up!" And as Mets fans will note, it's doesn't rhyme and it's not remotely creative ("Fly Hawks Fly?" I'm reaching here).Other monosyllabic teams, like the Knicks last night, take over the simplistic chants with ease, and the resultant collective cry comes across as "LET'S GO HICKS!" Not a good look, not a good sound.Then, the organ speeds up its tempo for the opponents, offering them continual clues that they proooooobably might want to get a shot ready to go up soon. I can only imagine how many 24-second violations have been foregone thanks to that blasted organ.The occasional "Name that V-103 Tune" stuff is cool, might want to diversify that a bit more. But is the "Oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-ohhhhh-ohhhhh" soccer chant necessary every other time up the floor? Is that what gets kids going the whole game?I'm with using the many collegiate and high school Drum Corps that we drag out to get fans revved up at the opening of the game, only to dispatch them to seats behind the backboards with folded hands when the game starts.That's enough rant for now.~lw3

The real reason Atlanta fans don't show up are related to 3 things:1- large section of the population from outside town. Someone posted the cite above. But if you look at middle class and above, who are the people who could afford to go to the games, I'd bet closer to 3/4s are out of towners.2- Poor infrastructure. If you don't live by a MARTA station, you are going to be stuck in traffic for a long time to get to a 7pm game.3- Just too much to do. Atlanta is a great city, with great weather, lot's of cheap entertainment alternatives, 2 other pro sports teams, 2 top college programs, and several minor leagues.

#1 is completely right. I work for a company in Smyrna right now and I'm literally the only one who is from Atlanta. It is RARE that I meet people around here who are from here. Honestly, I'd say it's more than 3/4's of the upper middle class that lives here who is a transient. The people in GA who are from GA (who are able to afford tickets) live in the suburbs, not Atlanta, which brings me to your #2. If you live in the suburbs, you cannot make it home and back to the Arena by 7:00. 75 north, 85 north, I-20 traffic is ridiculous around 5-5:30 when most people get off. Many of them have a wife and kids and they just can't make it home and back to the Arena in time for the game. Traffic is killer. I lived in Marietta last year and could BARELY make a 7pm game if I didn't waste a second, and Marietta is not that far away. I filled out the survey that the Hawks sent out in the offseason and the 7PM start time was my primary complaint, I asked for 7:30. Edited by AtLaS

• Moderators

Just to piggy back on the infrastructure issue, I think part of the issue is also that Atlanta is just a very pedestrian unfriendly city. Many towns have bars and restaurants around the their stadium where people can get a meal and hang out. Atlanta is very much a city where you travel to the arena for the game and then you travel somewhere else next. You can't wander around the arena and people just don't spend much time at all downtown. That hurts a bit as far as building your sports culture.