• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hypothetical...

Diesel

• Premium Member

a BIG, resounding one. Josh's deal is almost up and he will demand to be maxed. This makes him the best trade piece the Hawks have going forward.

Thank You! Posted Image

My thinking is that if we get to the ECf with little help from Horf, it would mean that we had a very good output from Smoove. Maybe not max deal, but whatever his worth. Because losing Josh and keeping Horf because we're looking at the balance on the books instead of the play on the floor is crazy.

I say no simply because I would rather get rid of Josh. I just don't feel confident in his ability to consistently play at a high level. Then again, if Josh carries this team to an ECF or beyond, my mind could be changed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My thinking is that if we get to the ECf with little help from Horf, it would mean that we had a very good output from Smoove. Maybe not max deal, but whatever his worth. Because losing Josh and keeping Horf because we're looking at the balance on the books instead of the play on the floor is crazy.

I agree to an extent. I think if the Hawks made it to ECF (strongly doubt it) or Finals (extremely remote), then you would have to consider it if it improves the ball club. However, with Horf, you may not get the highlight reel plays, but you will get all-star play with the discipline to stay within his role and respect the role of others. IMO, that's important to becoming a title contender. We've yet to see that from Josh and if it is going to cost max or near max to keep him (it will), then it would be smart to move him instead of Horf.
  • Like 1

If you listen real close you can hear Josh laughing at this thread. Dude is straight gone. He's done with this shitty organization and fan base. They chose Joe and went all out to get Al selected as an all star. What have they done for Josh? And thats exactly what they are going to get from him in any future negoitiation. NADA. Josh isn't giving a hometown discount. He isn't resigning either. I don't think there is ANY way he stays. On a positive note, there is still time to figure out who to blame for everything once Smoove is gone.

I just think that there is this tension between Josh and many members of the team. I don't see that with Horford. I feel like if Josh goes, then alot of guys will step up and improve, like Horford, Teague, and Marvin.

Edited by Supporter
  • Like 3

If you listen real close you can hear Josh laughing at this thread. Dude is straight gone. He's done with this shitty organization and fan base. They chose Joe and went all out to get Al selected as an all star. What have they done for Josh? And thats exactly what they are going to get from him in any future negoitiation. NADA. Josh isn't giving a hometown discount. He isn't resigning either. I don't think there is ANY way he stays.

I think you are 100% correct. Rather than work on his game and improve in the areas where he is weakest, he will probably cause a fuss and blame it on the fans, the organization, teammates, etc..

I think you are 100% correct.Rather than work on his game and improve in the areas where he is weakest, he will probably cause a fuss and blame it on the fans, the organization, teammates, etc..

Ignorant comment. Its been well discussed that Josh worked very hard in this last offseason and has improved his overall game. I sure dont remember saying he would NOT work on his game. Please show me where I said or insinuated that. Hate Hate Hate. Hypothetically, if the Hawks make it to the ECF it WILL be because of Josh. This would mean he is one of the very best in the league. So you would then trade one of the best players in the league? Ha! Ha! Ha!. Thats brilliant!

Ignorant comment. Its been well discussed that Josh worked very hard in this last offseason and has improved his overall game. I sure dont remember saying he would NOT work on his game. Please show me where I said or insinuated that. Hate Hate Hate.Hypothetically, if the Hawks make it to the ECF it WILL be because of Josh. This would mean he is one of the very best in the league. So you would then trade one of the best players in the league? Ha! Ha! Ha!. Thats brilliant!

IF we make it to the ECF and it is because of Josh it can only mean one thing - he thoroughly outplayed KG and took it to him inside instead of being a jump shooter, he showed up big rebounding and played defense like he usually does. Nothing would make me happier.

Ignorant comment. Its been well discussed that Josh worked very hard in this last offseason and has improved his overall game. I sure dont remember saying he would NOT work on his game. Please show me where I said or insinuated that. Hate Hate Hate. Hypothetically, if the Hawks make it to the ECF it WILL be because of Josh. This would mean he is one of the very best in the league. So you would then trade one of the best players in the league? Ha! Ha! Ha!. Thats brilliant!

as always, great player is being confused with great talent.My statement is far from ignorant, it is based on what I have seen and heard from him over the years.

as always, great player is being confused with great talent.My statement is far from ignorant, it is based on what I have seen and heard from him over the years.

You did it again. I never said he was great. Can you provide some article or quote that states josh is specifically not working on his game in any offseason during his time in the atl. His attitude has alwsys been bad. So what. He' s not the first. This is all hypothetical anyway. As much as i like josh, i give the hawks zero chance of advancing deep in the playoffs and i expect josh to be traded around draft time.

If you listen real close you can hear Josh laughing at this thread. Dude is straight gone. He's done with this shitty organization and fan base. They chose Joe and went all out to get Al selected as an all star. What have they done for Josh? And thats exactly what they are going to get from him in any future negoitiation. NADA. Josh isn't giving a hometown discount. He isn't resigning either. I don't think there is ANY way he stays.

So.... I interpret that to mean we should trade him in the off season or before next years trade deadline rather then lose him for nothing.

Hypothetically, if the Hawks make it to the ECF it WILL be because of Josh. This would mean he is one of the very best in the league. So you would then trade one of the best players in the league? Ha! Ha! Ha!. Thats brilliant!

So......I interpret that to mean don't trade Josh Smith.Conflicting post.Do you think if the Hawks get to the ECF or NBA Finals that Josh would then be more open to resigning with Atlanta ?Do you think it would increase both his trade value and new contract size as well ?I agree with you 100% that the writing is on the wall that Josh Smith will sign with another team in 2013 and the Hawks will get nothing in return unless he is traded. That is why I'm confused as to why your against trading him. See Cleveland (James) and Toronto (Bosh) compared with Denver (Anthony) as case examples how to handle such situations with players verbally saying they will not resign. Edited by coachx

So.... I interpret that to mean we should trade him in the off season or before next years trade deadline rather then lose him for nothing.So......I interpret that to mean don't trade Josh Smith.Conflicting post.Do you think if the Hawks get to the ECF or NBA Finals that Josh would then be more open to resigning with Atlanta ?Do you think it would increase both his trade value and new contract size as well ?I agree with you 100% that the writing is on the wall that Josh Smith will sign with another team in 2013 and the Hawks will get nothing in return unless he is traded. That is why I'm confused as to why your against trading him. See Cleveland (James) and Toronto (Bosh) compared with Denver (Anthony) as case examples how to handle such situations with players verbally saying they will not resign.

I can see how that became confusing. Sorry. One was hypothetical (you know, the funny one about making it to the ecf). I don't think it matters what we do in the playoffs. He's gone. However, I have thought for a few years josh is our best long term player and I would have planned for his resigning because I truly saw a season like this one coming (one in which he became our best player). So, no I would have never let it get to this point, but it is. So by all means ship him off. I'm not being sarcastic when I ask does this make my posts clearer?

This is just a genuine question because I think it is interesting how so many of our opinions of Josh seem to vary so much.If you are an NBA gm trying to win a championship, are you willing to make Josh Smith a max contract guy that you build your team around to lead you to that championship? Or do you seem him as just a piece of that puzzle with someone else as the #1 option?

Neither Al or Josh is a #1 option on any playoff NBA team. Put a superstar on this team and who would you rather have out of Horford and Smoove? Smoove in my opinion. Smooves brings way much more to the table. Al has one thing over Josh and that's consistent jump shot. Other than that? I have no clue.But I know Al could not do what Josh has done this season, nor carry this team like Josh has had to do this season. Funny thing is everytime you bring up Horford, Josh gets thrown in. It's always the same group of posters doing it too. But anyways, of course I would trade Al if we made it that far (depending on the trade). Hands down.

Edited by AHawks89

I was responding to the topic. He didn't mention Josh, he was speaking of Al Horford. Like I said, if we made that far without Al of course I would trade Al. I don't understand how anyone wouldn't. You make it this far without a certain player that hardly played, and you just imagine how much the team could improve if you could use him as trade bait to bring in a legit center and other needs. It's like you made it to the ECF, and then during off season you just add 2-3 players for fre (meaning we didn't have Al all season).