• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe unhappy with limited number of shots

Joker

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/05/07/johnson-unhappy-with-number-of-touches/?cxntfid=blogs_hawksIn my opinion I do agree with him to a degree. If no one else can do it, give me the ball. But Joe really isn't that good when he gets the touches he wants especially v. a defense like Boston. Those type of teams double Joe like crazy and can force bad turnovers. A series like this makes me miss the heck of out Jamal but we were going anywhere anyway.

i am going to quote a comment from that from Peachoops. This what I am going to say about this.

Joe, if you’re going to touch the ball all game long, if we’re going to live and die by you late in the game and in OT, and if you’re going to shoot the ball 28 times…SCORE MORE THAN 29 POINTS! Don’t blame anyone else for the fact that you’re not bringing enough scoring.

Smoove is average on offense taking shots like he's Jordan.Teague is an Anthony Johnson scrub type. He needs to be on the bench. PG is still our biggest issue.Joe while he is no #1 option is our best possible option.

Johnson not happy with limited shots

By Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

5:00 p.m. Monday, May 7, 2012

A day later, Joe Johnson was at loss for words about the Hawks’ embarrassing Game 4 loss to the Celtics on Sunday that has the team on the brink of playoff elimination.

His one-word answer to a question on his number of shot attempts spoke volumes.

Johnson took just eight shots in the 101-79 loss to the Celtics, who are up 3-1 in the best-of-seven series heading into Game 5 Tuesday at Philips Arena.

“I don’t think they are doing anything different defensively on me,” Johnson said. “I think it’s just basically getting an opportunity to touch the ball. That’s it.”

When asked if he was not happy with his touches, Johnson answered with a simple, but emphatic, “No.”

The Hawks are trying to become only the ninth team in NBA history to overcome a 3-1 deficit in a seven-game series. The last team to do so was the Suns, who overcame the deficit against the Lakers to win a first-round series in 2006. If they are to do so, coach Larry Drew agrees that Johnson must play a more active role in the offense.

“We run a lot of things through [Johnson],” Drew said following a team meeting Monday. “He’s got to be more aggressive in working to get his shots and we have to be mindful when he hasn’t had a shot in one or two trips down the floor, we’ve got to get him the ball.”

Drew credited the Celtics’ defensive game plan against Johnson. While Paul Pierce has drawn the bulk of the assignment, the Celtics have also used double-teams, switches and crowding on the Hawks’ all-star to make things difficult. The Hawks have also failed in their offense, according to Drew.

“Just watching the film in flying back [sunday] night, there were a number of situations where we could have just made one extra pass and the extra pass would have been to him,” Drew said. “We’ve just got to be a little bit more mindful to make sure he is getting touches.”

Johnson finished with just nine points on 4-of-8 shooting. For the series, Johnson is shooting just 25-for-68 (.368), including 6-for-25 (.240) from 3-point range. Those numbers are down considerably from his regular-season field-goal percentage (.454) and 3-point percentage (.388).

For the series, Johnson leads the Hawks with a 17.8 points per game, just a tenth of a point more than Josh Smith.

In the Game 3 overtime loss in Boston, Johnson led the Hawks with 29 points on 11-for-28 shooting. Point guard Jeff Teague said the Hawks have to get back to what was effective, which was relying on Johnson.

“We’ve got him the ball in Game 3,” Teague said. “He got a lot of touches. [sunday] night, they took us out of our stuff and made it difficult to get him the ball. We will try to make a conscious effort in Game 5 to get him the ball and make sure he makes plays for us.

“He is our go-to player. Eight shots are not enough, especially in a playoff game for a guy who can play like him.”

Center Al Horford, who returned to action for Game 4 for the first time since January surgery to repair a torn left pectoral muscle, said the offense was not slowed by trying to work him back into the rotation. He said Johnson has to be more aggressive and still be mindful of the importance of quick ball movement when double-teamed. Getting Johnson more touches does not mean more Iso-Joe offense.

“Joe is our main guy,” Horford said. “We go to him. He has to get us going offensively so he needs to go out there and be an enforcer and make his presence felt. I don’t think my shots or Erick Dampier’s shots are affecting him. I think Joe needs to be aggressive. He needs to go out there and score the ball. That’s when we are at our best, when he does that.”

Find this article at:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-not-happy-with-1433134.html

Johnson not happy with limited shots

By Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

5:00 p.m. Monday, May 7, 2012

A day later, Joe Johnson was at loss for words about the Hawks’ embarrassing Game 4 loss to the Celtics on Sunday that has the team on the brink of playoff elimination.

His one-word answer to a question on his number of shot attempts spoke volumes.

Johnson took just eight shots in the 101-79 loss to the Celtics, who are up 3-1 in the best-of-seven series heading into Game 5 Tuesday at Philips Arena.

“I don’t think they are doing anything different defensively on me,” Johnson said. “I think it’s just basically getting an opportunity to touch the ball. That’s it.”

When asked if he was not happy with his touches, Johnson answered with a simple, but emphatic, “No.”

The Hawks are trying to become only the ninth team in NBA history to overcome a 3-1 deficit in a seven-game series. The last team to do so was the Suns, who overcame the deficit against the Lakers to win a first-round series in 2006. If they are to do so, coach Larry Drew agrees that Johnson must play a more active role in the offense.

“We run a lot of things through [Johnson],” Drew said following a team meeting Monday. “He’s got to be more aggressive in working to get his shots and we have to be mindful when he hasn’t had a shot in one or two trips down the floor, we’ve got to get him the ball.”

Drew credited the Celtics’ defensive game plan against Johnson. While Paul Pierce has drawn the bulk of the assignment, the Celtics have also used double-teams, switches and crowding on the Hawks’ all-star to make things difficult. The Hawks have also failed in their offense, according to Drew.

“Just watching the film in flying back [sunday] night, there were a number of situations where we could have just made one extra pass and the extra pass would have been to him,” Drew said. “We’ve just got to be a little bit more mindful to make sure he is getting touches.”

Johnson finished with just nine points on 4-of-8 shooting. For the series, Johnson is shooting just 25-for-68 (.368), including 6-for-25 (.240) from 3-point range. Those numbers are down considerably from his regular-season field-goal percentage (.454) and 3-point percentage (.388).

For the series, Johnson leads the Hawks with a 17.8 points per game, just a tenth of a point more than Josh Smith.

In the Game 3 overtime loss in Boston, Johnson led the Hawks with 29 points on 11-for-28 shooting. Point guard Jeff Teague said the Hawks have to get back to what was effective, which was relying on Johnson.

“We’ve got him the ball in Game 3,” Teague said. “He got a lot of touches. [sunday] night, they took us out of our stuff and made it difficult to get him the ball. We will try to make a conscious effort in Game 5 to get him the ball and make sure he makes plays for us.

“He is our go-to player. Eight shots are not enough, especially in a playoff game for a guy who can play like him.”

Center Al Horford, who returned to action for Game 4 for the first time since January surgery to repair a torn left pectoral muscle, said the offense was not slowed by trying to work him back into the rotation. He said Johnson has to be more aggressive and still be mindful of the importance of quick ball movement when double-teamed. Getting Johnson more touches does not mean more Iso-Joe offense.

“Joe is our main guy,” Horford said. “We go to him. He has to get us going offensively so he needs to go out there and be an enforcer and make his presence felt. I don’t think my shots or Erick Dampier’s shots are affecting him. I think Joe needs to be aggressive. He needs to go out there and score the ball. That’s when we are at our best, when he does that.”

Find this article at:

http://www.ajc.com/s...th-1433134.html

I don't get it. He didn't say anything about not happy with amount of touches. In fact, he didn't say anything... that's the Joe we all know.

i am going to quote a comment from that from Peachoops. This what I am going to say about this.

Joe, if you’re going to touch the ball all game long, if we’re going to live and die by you late in the game and in OT, and if you’re going to shoot the ball 28 times…SCORE MORE THAN 29 POINTS! Don’t blame anyone else for the fact that you’re not bringing enough scoring.

So Joe's 29 points on 28 shots is bad, huh?

But it is still better than Josh's 53 points on 54 shots in the series.......................

So Joe's 29 points on 28 shots is bad, huh?But it is still better than Josh's 53 points on 54 shots in the series.......................

53 points, 54 shots - yikes and half of them are bad shots. 1-8 from 11 feet and beyond, 4-5 in the paint (last game). Stop it Josh, please please please - you cannot shoot, you suck at it.

What's funny is that Josh is shooting a better % than Joe, but yet is contributing in other parts of the game unlike Joe.He's leading all NBA players in rebounding during the playoffs, not to mention he puts up blocks and assist too. Joe on the other hand has a shittier fg% than Josh, but yet doesn't even contribute at any other part of the game. Defense? Um..

What's funny is that Josh is shooting a better % than Joe, but yet is contributing in other parts of the game unlike Joe.He's leading all NBA players in rebounding during the playoffs, not to mention he puts up blocks and assist too. Joe on the other hand has a shittier fg% than Josh, but yet doesn't even contribute at any other part of the game. Defense? Um..

He should be shooting an even better % being so close to the basket, but soooooo many ill-advised shots.

I don't have a problem with Josh's number of shots - it's the quality of the shots that he takes leaves a lot to be desired. I keep saying it's about time, distance and circumtance when he launches a shot.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Isn't Marvin doing the same thing to a lesser degree.

Josh can't even play in the post... His post moves are absolute trash. Joe scores more points on less shots than josh. Joe should be our number one option not josh. Josh should only shoot on put backs and dunks and layups

I wish we had a #1 option.

I mentioned that he should be demanding the ball more but his stans said that we should be quiet and be proud of his field goal %. After all, going 4/8 is a far greater game than going 8-20.

Edited by MaceCase

I mentioned that he should be demanding the ball more but his stans said that we should be quiet and be proud of his field goal %. After all, going 4/8 is a far greater game than going 8-20.

Actually, a 8/20 with Kobe is a lot better than Smith normally. Kobe draws a lot of attention, creates space for others. Usually when Josh has this type of game. He took 3 to 4 bad shots. Was rarely doubled teamed or seriously defended and what not. 4/8 is greater but for Kobe 8/20 is greater while for Josh, he might have lost us the game.