• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Build around our big 3: Horford, Smith, Teague

frankthetank966

The future is now! The Joe Johnson era should be over. Joe has become one of the highest paid players in the NBA since joining the Hawks. Joe has led the Hawks to an impressive playoff run. However, Joe has also not advanced the Hawks past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Joe has had his time in Atlanta. This year's playoff series only added onto the disappointing playoff series Joe posted against Chicago last year.We have some impressive young talent with Teague, Smith, and Horford. If Horford can come back healthy he will be a beast. He has proven he can play center and is a good defensive player. We need to support Horford by adding another strong backup center in addition to Zaza. Collins does not qualify. Adding another "sixth man" style center would allow the Hawks to move Horford over to PF and give Josh rest at time. Additionally we can utilize Zaza as a PF and give Horford and Smith some rest for game.Teague really asserted himself as a strong point guard this season. He is above-average most of the time. However if Teague improves his passing, he can really advance his level of play to become a good PG on the level of Rajon Rondo.Smith had his best season and was the Hawks MVP for 2011-2012. He improved his defense and his perimetter shot. Despite the fact that most fans including myself do not like Smith shooting jumper, if he can continue to improve his FG% from 15-18 feet he will be an elite player in the league. During the Celtics playoff series I started comparing Smith to KG. I'm confident if Smith can improve his jumper, and continue playing on the level of basketball IQ he did this year he will be one of the best players in the NBA.There will be several quality free-agents. OF Mayo, Gerald Wallace, Nic Batum are just a few. Batum has explosive talent. If the Hawks some how find a way to dump JJ and his salary this team has tons of potential to build on. LETS GO!

Edited by frankthetank966
  • Like 1

i dont get y people hatin on smith yes he takes dumb ass shots but he was easily the best player on the floor all season regardless of his mistakes his positives always outweigh the negatives and if i was asg i would lock smith horford and teague up long term

• Like 1

That Titantic has already sailed! But yeah, people were saying the Hawks couldn't make the playoffs without Joe in the East no less. All hope isn't lost though...Orlando is desperate enough to take Joe for let's say Turk and/or Redick or Nelson. Them throwing in a future first would be nice. Lastly, I wish the NBA would adopt a tag in which a team would have signed Joe and we would receive a 1st round pick for compensation but I digress.

• Moderators

Better figure something else out as JJ isn't likely to be going anywhere for 2-3 more years at least.

...and Smoove is likely moving on after next season... Hawks Big 3: Horford, Teague, and No-Show Joe. Move Marvin permenately to the bench, get a coach that runs a set offense (not ISO freewhell ****) and get an All-Star calibur SF (Mayo or Wallace) and all hope will not be lost. Show Smoove their is something here and he may stay.

Me and my Uncle was talking about this earlier. He said he would sign Josh and trade Joe. Which I agreed. Either Smith or Joe has to go. People say Joe has more value cause GMs don't like Smith FINE trade Joe then. I will trade Joe ONLY if we can get a legit quality center. Hopefully Chicago wants Joe. I would offer Joe for Noah and Deng. Getting Noah and Deng would add some toughness to go along with this team. draft a backup SG. Don't know what I would do would Marvin. Marvin is a solid player coming off the bench. He just not a starter in my opinion.Teague/Vet PGDeng/drafted SGSmith/Marvin/StackhouseHorford/JohnsonNoah/ZazaIs it a pretty squad? nope but it will get the job done.As far as the coach I don't know. No...I do no want Dantoni.

• Premium Member

Me and my Uncle was talking about this earlier. He said he would sign Josh and trade Joe. Which I agreed. Either Smith or Joe has to go. People say Joe has more value cause GMs don't like Smith FINE trade Joe then. I will trade Joe ONLY if we can get a legit quality center. Hopefully Chicago wants Joe. I would offer Joe for Noah and Deng. Getting Noah and Deng would add some toughness to go along with this team. draft a backup SG. Don't know what I would do would Marvin. Marvin is a solid player coming off the bench. He just not a starter in my opinion.Teague/Vet PGDeng/drafted SGSmith/Marvin/StackhouseHorford/JohnsonNoah/ZazaIs it a pretty squad? nope but it will get the job done.As far as the coach I don't know. No...I do no want Dantoni.

Joe for Noah and Deng? This isn't NBA 2k.

A player has to actually want to stay in order to "lock" him up.

Get rid of Joe and I bet you Josh would stay then.This is our only way to make a move towards something new. If ASG would spend some money and get a real coach those 3 games will blossom either more. Look at it this way, without Joe we still will have 2 allstars and Jeff could be one with more consistent play. They just play more aggressive and together without Joe. Remember the effort against OKC without him? Just add AL to that team and that is a team I would like to watch. Joe just gotta go, his "ho hum" personality rubs off on everyone who becomes a hawk.

I rather keep Joe than Josh. Joe is a championship player. Josh style of ball doesn't win you titles, he more of a top tier 6th man type if you are trying to win a title. We just a #1 option. I would really trade Josh to Washington for their top 3 pick and land Drummond or MKG. They need Josh badly and Atlanta needs to built a real NBA team and try to find a real good PG or #1 option. If Atlanta gets rid of Josh and Marvin and adds a top 3 pick. They will have still have around 16 to 15 mil which means we have enough for a max deal player like Deron Williams.I am not a big fan of Drummond after watching tape. I will do a write-up on the draft later today.

• Premium Member

Get rid of Joe and I bet you Josh would stay then.This is our only way to make a move towards something new. If ASG would spend some money and get a real coach those 3 games will blossom either more. Look at it this way, without Joe we still will have 2 allstars and Jeff could be one with more consistent play. They just play more aggressive and together without Joe. Remember the effort against OKC without him? Just add AL to that team and that is a team I would like to watch. Joe just gotta go, his "ho hum" personality rubs off on everyone who becomes a hawk.

I don't think Josh's desire to leave is all about Joe. Yes, he wants to be the man on a team and yes he's probably looking for a max contract (which like Joe, his game isn't worth). But it appears he wants those things in what he feels is a better basketball market than Atlanta. Atlanta may be his hometown, but it seems he doesn't want to play here. In addition, it won't be easy to move Joe and I think everyone knows that.Secondly, minus Joe, this team has one all-star. I'm not trying to take a shot at Josh, but technically, he's never been an all-star.Lastly, Josh is limited offensively and that's not opinion, it's truth. A team with him as the first option is not a title contender.

I rather keep Joe than Josh. Joe is a championship player. Josh style of ball doesn't win you titles, he more of a top tier 6th man type if you are trying to win a title. We just a #1 option. I would really trade Josh to Washington for their top 3 pick and land Drummond or MKG. They need Josh badly and Atlanta needs to built a real NBA team and try to find a real good PG or #1 option. If Atlanta gets rid of Josh and Marvin and adds a top 3 pick. They will have still have around 16 to 15 mil which means we have enough for a max deal player like Deron Williams.I am not a big fan of Drummond after watching tape. I will do a write-up on the draft later today.

I like your strategy here even though I would really hate to see Smith go. A guy who is a 6th man at best doesn't typically get mentioned as a 3rd team all NBAer. If we could get a top 3 pick for him though and then have the ability to go after Deron with a max deal that's a no brainer. Deron is one of the best players in the world and the kind that can take a team from good to great. Deron, MKG, Joe, Horf, Zaza? I think that's a pretty solid lineup even though I would hate to see Smoove go. I don't think the issue is Smoove being a dumb basketball player because I don't think he is at all. He just wants to be great so badly that he's constantly doing things in his head that he's just not built to do. He wants to push the ball because it's what our team should do but he doesn't have the handles so he turns it over. He wants to step up and hit game winners so he shoots over people but he doesn't have the shot to consistently hit those long j's. The guy's going to be great once he gets his mind right and really plays to his strengths. The question that we've all been wondering for years though is when will that be?

I like your strategy here even though I would really hate to see Smith go. A guy who is a 6th man at best doesn't typically get mentioned as a 3rd team all NBAer. If we could get a top 3 pick for him though and then have the ability to go after Deron with a max deal that's a no brainer. Deron is one of the best players in the world and the kind that can take a team from good to great. Deron, MKG, Joe, Horf, Zaza? I think that's a pretty solid lineup even though I would hate to see Smoove go. I don't think the issue is Smoove being a dumb basketball player because I don't think he is at all. He just wants to be great so badly that he's constantly doing things in his head that he's just not built to do.He wants to push the ball because it's what our team should do but he doesn't have the handles so he turns it over. He wants to step up and hit game winners so he shoots over people but he doesn't have the shot to consistently hit those long j's. The guy's going to be great once he gets his mind right and really plays to his strengths. The question that we've all been wondering for years though is when will that be?

Josh is an extremely talented player but he does to an offense what McGee and Nick Young, does to an offense. He messes up the momentum. In the playoffs, that more important since this is a game of momentum. It is the best way to build a franchise in my opinion. I pray Washington gets a top three pick but not #1. Thomas Robinson is a good PF. I think he can shock some people. This draft has a lot of tier B guys. One of the deepest drafts I've seen but only one tier A guy. No real franchise players this draft but Davis.Not understanding your limitations is a part of low BBIQ. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Joe isn't a championship player either is Josh. Josh is a better player and more consistent this year. Joe had some really amazing games, and then he would go silent for 2-3 nights. Thats Joe Johnson for ya. He is hot or he is quite. He is too passive. Get ride of him.

• Moderators

The idea that this team can shed enough salary go go after a max contract player is totally unrealistic, IMO. Even if they somehow did, why would that max player want to come here instead of Dallas or NJ, etc. If we managed to shed JJ or traded Josh for a pick or something that shed major salary, we would not be in the market for a max free agent.