• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the Backup Plan?

Dragitoff

With all the talk of the Hawks clearing Joe and Marvin's contracts off the books, it's apparent they are making room for a run at at least 2 major FA's. With that said, I think we all agree our 1st option would be Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to be teamed up with Josh Smith (or Al Horford). It appears Brooklyn isn't dead on the Dwight situation just yet. As a matter of fact, all indications are pointing to the strong possibility of a deal getting done. Next year's FA crop is really good so there will be plenty of options for us. The question is, if we don't get Paul and Dwight, what would be your best fall back option assuming we re-sign or sign & trade Josh?

Good question. The way Ferry is moving, he seems to have a Plan C, and you have to dealing with Silly Dwight and his handlers. My backup wish list of potential FAs include Taj Gibson, Jimmy Hard-On, Linsanity, Milsap, Ilyasova, and Gerald Henderson (I like him, but I don't know why yet). Wouldn't mind substituting Collins for Jordan Hill at all, always liked Little Dunleavy, and I'll let Ferry decide between the best two-way wing from Cleveland in Azibuke, Gee, and Parker. This all with the thought that Josh is a lock to stay.

Good question. The way Ferry is moving, he seems to have a Plan C, and you have to dealing with Silly Dwight and his handlers. My backup wish list of potential FAs include Taj Gibson, Jimmy Hard-On, Linsanity, Milsap, Ilyasova, and Gerald Henderson (I like him, but I don't know why yet). Wouldn't mind substituting Collins for Jordan Hill at all, always liked Little Dunleavy, and I'll let Ferry decide between the best two-way wing from Cleveland in Azibuke, Gee, and Parker. This all with the thought that Josh is a lock to stay.

Azubukee? injured too much, played 3 games last season. Parker-retired. Wouldn't mind Hill and Taj. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I love James Harden's game. Can shoot from outside. Gets to the line alot. Exciting, above the rim player. My guess is we'd possibly use Horford in a S&T for Harden since Perkins is getting older (although he's still young) and OKC might want an upgrade for him, at least as a starter. Andre Iguodala is also a free agent that year. There are actually alot of PG and SG options that year. We won't need a PF so I didn't really pay attention to them. Not too much for Centers though which would be a problem if we dealt Horf.

• Like 1

Plenty optionsCan go the UFA route.The RFA route.Can trade for guys that other teams can't afford like Gay or Granger in particular.Can trade for guys that other teams can't stand to afford and get picks ala Baron Davis and the #1 overall.Whole world open to us outside of just free agency.

For centers you got howard>bynum>Gasol; after that your looking to trade with Utah; or moving up into upper lottery for one of 3-4 C prospects coming out (hard to get, need top 7). Centers always slim pickings; but like i said 4 centers in lottery for 2013 draft most likely

Most likely what will happen is that Ferry will basically roll with this team next year, it will not be bad enough to get a top draft pick and the Hawks land no franchise changing FA's. I'm in the camp that thinks Teague, Harris, Al, Josh, ZaZa and Morrow is enough to get this team back as a lower seed team next year.. Making the draft next year mostly worthless for what this franchise needs. I mean, a mid first rounder next year is not going to cut it.

Backup plan is to have you dreaming just like you already are thinking about Dwight and CP3. Look at this year's Center crop would have been good to have that cap space of next summer this summer with Lopez, Hibbert, McGee, and so on available. Bynum and even D12 are injury prone headcases. Trades are a day late and a dolla short

Backup plan is to have you dreaming just like you already are thinking about Dwight and CP3. Look at this year's Center crop would have been good to have that cap space of next summer this summer with Lopez, Hibbert, McGee, and so on available. Bynum and even D12 are injury prone headcases. Trades are a day late and a dolla short

You sure are a gloomy gus aren't you?

If Dwight gets dealt to Brooklyn and we know he's staying there and there's no chance he comes here.... I saw we trade Josh Smith for Paul George and David West (exp) or S&T Josh for George after the season. Georges cap hold would be much less than Joshes, so we'd have more money to spend on max free agents. Say for instance,

CP3

George

SF

Horford

Bynum

as your core to build around along with 2 first round picks with a brand new scouting department.

If Dwight doesn't get traded to Nets, and we can sign him in the off season outright, I would then S&T Horford for Harden and a pair of 1sts. I don't know if we could sign Paul though in this case because Josh Smiths cap hold. But

Teague/Harden/SF/Smith/Howard and fill the holes with picks.

the possibilities are endless Posted Image

Most likely what will happen is that Ferry will basically roll with this team next year, it will not be bad enough to get a top draft pick and the Hawks land no franchise changing FA's. I'm in the camp that thinks Teague, Harris, Al, Josh, ZaZa and Morrow is enough to get this team back as a lower seed team next year.. Making the draft next year mostly worthless for what this franchise needs. I mean, a mid first rounder next year is not going to cut it.

well yeah but have you heard Jeremy Lin is meeting with the Rockets? They are trying to be a playoff team immediately and that pick we just traded for should be right around the area ours is. I'd bet Ferry could swing a trade of a top 7 pick for two mid-1sts plus Jenkins if necessary. It's about to be a brand new Hawks era guys, and that's a good thing!

another possibility of Howard doesn't get traded is have Josh recruit him during the season and trade Horf and our 2 picks for the pick that gets you Shabazz Muhammad. That kid has MVP abilities.CP3MuhammadSFSmooveHowardI'd say that's our best possible outcome we could have.

The best move if the Hawks can't sign Paul and Howard is to be patient and rebuild. Too often in the NBA teams just throw money at whatever marginal all stars are available in free agency. I would much rather see the Hawks suck for a few years and rebuild through the draft than sign some Joe Johnson lookalike and continue their run of first/second round playoff exits and middling draft picks.

• Premium Member

Don't call it the Backup Plan. Call it the plan.The plan is to: Get draft picks and try to put together something.Let's face it, D-12 goes to Brooklyn or LAL.CP3 stays with team that has his Bird rights.Atlanta Loses Josh Smith or pays him Max Salary after a ho hum year where we missed the playoffs because he and Al don't really mesh well.No FA wants to sign with us unless they are being overpaid.We are the New Washington.So here's our FA acquisitions:Teague, Ariza, and Amir Johnson.And we will overpay for Ariza and Johnson.

Agreed. If they aren't going to sign Howard and Paul, the only option that won't be a complete failure is to blow the whole thing up and try to rebuild through the draft.

Don't call it the Backup Plan. Call it the plan. The plan is to: Get draft picks and try to put together something. Let's face it, D-12 goes to Brooklyn or LAL. CP3 stays with team that has his Bird rights. Atlanta Loses Josh Smith or pays him Max Salary after a ho hum year where we missed the playoffs because he and Al don't really mesh well. No FA wants to sign with us unless they are being overpaid. We are the New Washington. So here's our FA acquisitions: Teague, Ariza, and Amir Johnson. And we will overpay for Ariza and Johnson.

Thing is... We keep team basically intact and in 2 or 3 years it could still play out the same way.

Don't call it the Backup Plan. Call it the plan. The plan is to: Get draft picks and try to put together something. Let's face it, D-12 goes to Brooklyn or LAL. CP3 stays with team that has his Bird rights. Atlanta Loses Josh Smith or pays him Max Salary after a ho hum year where we missed the playoffs because he and Al don't really mesh well. No FA wants to sign with us unless they are being overpaid. We are the New Washington. So here's our FA acquisitions: Teague, Ariza, and Amir Johnson. And we will overpay for Ariza and Johnson.

This is more likely than getting Paul and Howard but damn I thought I had a bleak outlook the thought of this is just depressing.

I certainly would not be on board overpaying for mid-level players. Might as well build thru the draft and make timely and effective trades. No sense if dumping all this salalry then tying it up in mid-level crap and be in the same position.

Edited by JayBirdHawk