• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks now out of Dwight sweepstakes ( obviously )

ATLscrubLove

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/07/09/atlanta-hawks-hawks-out-of-dwight-howard-sweepstakes/Looks like it's because we aren't willing to give up key pieces for a 1 year rental since he isn't willing to resign with anyone other than Brooklyn. which Im completely fine with, lets just get who we can this year. Go out and compete and hopefully have better luck in free agency next year. Plus Smoove may be traded soon as well now, I think Ferry only kept him around in hopes that he could lure Dwight here but obviously not even Smoove could convince him. Time to build around Horford and Teague.

• Premium Member

http://blogs.ajc.com...rd-sweepstakes/ Looks like it's because we aren't willing to give up key pieces for a 1 year rental since he isn't willing to resign with anyone other than Brooklyn. which Im completely fine with, lets just get who we can this year. Go out and compete and hopefully have better luck in free agency next year. Plus Smoove may be traded soon as well now, I think Ferry only kept him around in hopes that he could lure Dwight here but obviously not even Smoove could convince him. Time to build around Horford and Teague.

So how do we know Horford is on board with being the centerpiece of a rebuilding team? Clean house!

Teague sucks. You can't build around him.

Still we have to give him 1 more year to see if he develops. He isn't terrible but we will see how he does. You have to give players a 3 year interval after being drafted.

Clean House and Wait for what? Who is coming out in next year's draft that will make a huge impact on any NBA team...Some people throw around rebuilding like its the NFL or something...Players ability to leave after their first year of college will take time to develop at the NBA level. The Hawks have two Allstars...so Ferry's first job is to fill out the roster, sign Josh Smith, and look to sign Harden, Ibaka or Even Bynum next year.Btw - and since when is a second year player (teague) averaging 12.6pts 4.9ast in the regular season and raising his point total to 14ppg in the post season suck?

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Btw - and since when is a second year player (teague) averaging 12.6pts 4.9ast in the regular season and raising his point total to 14ppg in the post season suck?

He clearly doesn't suck and hasn't shown the talent to be a building block either.

He clearly doesn't suck and hasn't shown the talent to be a building block either.

Ok your right aside from Chris Paul, Rondo, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Rose he is not a building block in that sense....but Until we are able to get a superstar PG...Teague is just fine and the Hawks will keep him until one of those superstars come to ATL...

http://blogs.ajc.com...rd-sweepstakes/ Looks like it's because we aren't willing to give up key pieces for a 1 year rental since he isn't willing to resign with anyone other than Brooklyn. which Im completely fine with, lets just get who we can this year. Go out and compete and hopefully have better luck in free agency next year. Plus Smoove may be traded soon as well now, I think Ferry only kept him around in hopes that he could lure Dwight here but obviously not even Smoove could convince him. Time to build around Horford and Teague.

The Hawks will never build a contender through free agency unless it involves Howard and Paul (which it won't, obviously).

The Hawks will never build a contender through free agency unless it involves Howard and Paul (which it won't, obviously).

There are some really good free agents available in 2013. Now will any of them come? Possibly we will have roughly 2 max deals for 2 good to great players to come. Though I don't think Curry, Harden, or Ibaka are worth max deals. Plus I doubt Bynum would come here after being in the spotlight of LA. But still we can land some good players next year.

• Moderators

Ok your right aside from Chris Paul, Rondo, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Rose he is not a building block in that sense....but Until we are able to get a superstar PG...Teague is just fine and the Hawks will keep him until one of those superstars come to ATL...

No need to compare him to stars. He isn't a building block in the Ty Lawson, Kyle Lowrie, etc. sense. He isn't a top 20 PG and as a sub-par starting PG isn't a building block without major development.

There are some really good free agents available in 2013. Now will any of them come? Possibly we will have roughly 2 max deals for 2 good to great players to come. Though I don't think Curry, Harden, or Ibaka are worth max deals. Plus I doubt Bynum would come here after being in the spotlight of LA. But still we can land some good players next year.

Harden is. Curry might be if healthy, but with his health he clearly isn't. Ibaka isn't. If healthy, Bynum is. My $.02. Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

and I laugh when people throw out Atlanta as a favorite destination for players. They live here but have no interest in playing here. Hey...who in the hell was taking less money to play in Miami before Wade arrived? Lets work on building something first.

http://blogs.ajc.com...rd-sweepstakes/

Looks like it's because we aren't willing to give up key pieces for a 1 year rental since he isn't willing to resign with anyone other than Brooklyn. which Im completely fine with, lets just get who we can this year. Go out and compete and hopefully have better luck in free agency next year. Plus Smoove may be traded soon as well now, I think Ferry only kept him around in hopes that he could lure Dwight here but obviously not even Smoove could convince him. Time to build around Horford and Teague.

What? That article doesn't say that.

Yes, we can land some good players. But good players don't get you out of the second round. We might as well have kept Joe if the plan was to sign someone like Harden.

Guest Walter

I am glad we are not giving a player like Horford away just for a CHANCE to resign Howard (who basiclly saying he would not sign here). Well lets move on

That "chance" would be nearly a certainty if we traded for Howard. 1) best friend 2) enough cap space and flexibility to produce a winner 3) hometown in which to rehabilitate image 4) Nets would no longer be an option 5) Howard would have to give up $25 million this contract (and perhaps more in the future) to sign elsewhere (Bird rights) Seriously, if we effectively removed the Nets from contention by trading for Howard, WHO is he going to? Dallas? Nowitski is too old. Who else? Houston? Not likely. WHO? If we are Teague and a (marginal) 1st away from getting Howard, we'd be foolish not to trade for Howard and the added pressure to have him sign here. W

• Admin

No need to compare him to stars. He isn't a building block in the Ty Lawson, Kyle Lowrie, etc. sense. He isn't a top 20 PG and as a sub-par starting PG isn't a building block without major development. Harden is. Curry might be if healthy, but with his health he clearly isn't. Ibaka isn't. If healthy, Bynum is. My $.02.

Harden is not leaving OKC, Curry is not either unless he is injured again this season and if he is I don't want him. For all his talent he is always injured. Ibaka is just a good pf. I think he was really exposed in the playoffs...can't guard big men or the perimeter and he is just a help defender (like Josh) who gets a lot of weakside blocks as a result of his atheltism. His offense is subpar. Bynum if staying healthy is def a max player but he can't stay healthy.

• Admin

That "chance" would be nearly a certainty if we traded for Howard. 1) best friend 2) enough cap space and flexibility to produce a winner 3) hometown in which to rehabilitate image 4) Nets would no longer be an option 5) Howard would have to give up $25 million this contract (and perhaps more in the future) to sign elsewhere (Bird rights) Seriously, if we effectively removed the Nets from contention by trading for Howard, WHO is he going to? Dallas? Nowitski is too old. Who else? Houston? Not likely. WHO? If we are Teague and a (marginal) 1st away from getting Howard, we'd be foolish not to trade for Howard and the added pressure to have him sign here. W

If he is not giving any indication at all of wanting to resign here then you don't give up a Horford for a rental.

• Premium Member

I sincerely hope that if we miss out on Howard/CP3 we just sit on the cap and not give max deals to the Al Jeffersons or Steph Curry's of the world just because we have the cap space. The whole reason to start over IMO is to get actual superstars either through free agency or the draft.

• Like 1