• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA players are shrinking and here's the proof!.....(ATL does not have a undersized backcourt with the present roster!)

JTB

I see that many posters are complaining about our Hawks starting either Harris, Jenkins, Lou Williams, or Morrow at shooting guard but the truth is that as of this new age of the nba SG's are a average height of 6'4!

But before you read this article I found understand a couple of things:

This person that wrote this used nba.com when he averaged the heights of players BECAUSE the nba website is suppose to be the most legit official and accurate measurements of players height and weight.....it is their league ya know. I know other sites espn, draft express and others have either similar or completely different heights but Im reading those sites arent made official because many times they do there measurement while these players are in college and dont remeasure once they hit the NBA.

Here's the article...its very interesting the guy was very accurate and he showed how the nba has really changed over the years in measurements of players:

http://basslinespin....ght-of-nba.html

My conclusion:

If you guys still think we have an undersized back court than I think your pretty dumb! Im sorry. I hate to offend anyone but it is more than clear that every position we have on the hawks problem isnt the height but the size. We have a size problem at sg and center, not a height problem!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's 2 things you may want to make note of about how much the nba has changed:

1. The players coming in the nba are smaller and faster in the last 3 years!

2 Im not sure if you have heard but even the bulls are currently trying to put D.Rose at the 2 and get him a traditional pg to play the 1. Its one f the reasons they are getting rid of all their players

also make note of this! there are not many 6'6 to 6'8 starting SG's in the nba! Lets see you got....

Kobe Bryant

Joe Johnson

Manu Ginoboli

Demar Derozan (not even that great)

Paul george

Rip hamilton

Anthony Parker

Hayward

Jason Richardson

Evan Turner

Sefelosha

Ok ok so we have 11 but thats 11 players that are between 6'6 and 6'8 starting SG. I did not include 6'5 players. But looking at this list of what we "squawkers" would call average SG height there are a handful of good players and really only 2 great players (Kobe and Manu). So what 19 other teams in the nba has 6'4 or 6'5 SG's and we think we have an undersized backcourt! Some of you guys are really living in the past!

If this doesnt make you feel more comfortable I dont know what will! seriously!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Im saying is that the Bulls see the change, Danny Ferry see's the change, the heat played Shane Battier at PF won a championship and the Hawk fans are worried about a undersized backcourt that really isnt undersized!...There are alot more important thing to worry about! GET REAL SQUAWKERS!

This is one of the REASONS why the hawks are always behind compared to other teams. I like what Ferry is doing we are smaller and quicker and will be able to run with most of the league! It isnt like Johnson was using his size to crush these smaller guards anyways!

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

If anything we should be worried about our players weight! Im not sure if any of our SG's are atleast 205 pounds and I know horford isnt the average center weight size!Thats what we need to worry about. Not the height of our players! We are average there!

A couple of years ago, i looked at the size of the Hawks front court v. the East. The result was that on average, the Hawks were in the top 5 in total size (wt + ht), but slightly small at center with Horford. My guess is that this has changed somewhat in that Smith lost weight and Marvin is gone.The big point here is that the Hawks are probably and average team in terms of height but are probably underweight across the board. Ferry needs to get some bulk on the roster at some point. Scott, if he can figure out how to hit his shot, might help in that respect. I would still like another wide-body banger though (Collison, Blair, etc).

Speed and quickness are also critical factors. Truth is hi and wt can be an asset AND a liability depending on matchups

Very true, but it looks like the current version of the team, is a little light. Another banger would really help

• Premium Member

A couple of years ago, i looked at the size of the Hawks front court v. the East. The result was that on average, the Hawks were in the top 5 in total size (wt + ht), but slightly small at center with Horford. My guess is that this has changed somewhat in that Smith lost weight and Marvin is gone.

I would still like another wide-body banger though (Collison, Blair, etc).

That's what Zaza give us. Why are we so afraid to start Zaza at center with Smith and Horford at the 2 forward positions?

That's what Zaza give us. Why are we so afraid to start Zaza at center with Smith and Horford at the 2 forward positions?

If you start Zaza at C then you have to put Smith at SF. This is not a win for the Hawks. Smith needs to be near the basket not roaming 20' from the basket.

If you start Zaza at C then you have to put Smith at SF. This is not a win for the Hawks. Smith needs to be near the basket not roaming 20' from the basket.

I agree wholeheartedly. Not that Zaza isn't a serviceable center, it's just Josh playing all of his minutes at SF would be a disaster.
  • Like 1

You forgot JR Smith Landry Fields Kevin Martin Stephen Jackson John Salmons

JR Smith doesnt start, Salmons dont start, Jackson plays SF. However I did forget Kevin Martin and Landry Feilds. Martin is pretty good but Fields I wouldnt worry about even when he was on the knicks!

Not the best data set or data gatheringHis sample that day had a lineup of jt/pargo/green/jj/Ivan Obviously jj shouldn't be used for pf measurements but that day smoove played less minute and even jj only played 22It doesn't help our opps that once a year we will give most mins to those 5 players

I don't mind a 6'4 or even a big 6'3 but Lou Williams is still a way undersized shooting guard.

agree Lou does not have the weight size for a sg nor the height! I believe he is 6'1 or 6'2 on the other hand jenkins and morrow fits the average sg height and weight I believe and of course korver does but I think they will play him at SF.

Not the best data set or data gathering His sample that day had a lineup of jt/pargo/green/jj/Ivan Obviously jj shouldn't be used for pf measurements but that day smoove played less minute and even jj only played 22 It doesn't help our opps that once a year we will give most mins to those 5 players

how so? he took the height and weight of the main players on the floor at the positions they play the most minutes at and averaged them. seems as accurate as it can be! and are you referring to Ivan Johnson cause joe Johnson isnt mentioned

I'm not worried about size at the 2 guard position. Look at what Iverson did. Although that may be an unfair comparison... BUT.... if we have bigs around the guards who are able to grab boards and play good offball D like Smoove does, i'm not too worried.

• Admin

I'm not worried about size at the 2 guard position. Look at what Iverson did. Although that may be an unfair comparison... BUT.... if we have bigs around the guards who are able to grab boards and play good offball D like Smoove does, i'm not too worried.

Iverson got his but they always had problems on defence because their point guard had defend the opposing team's shooting guard.

Iverson got his but they always had problems on defence because their point guard had defend the opposing team's shooting guard.

That's why I believe they used a big PG like Eric Snow, who was a pretty poor PG overall, but he was big for a PG but could defend SGs even though he was only 6'3.

The real problem for us is that we're shorter than acceptable and probably shorter than average at every single position now. PG and SG are close and we can survive there but we're a good 2-3" short at SF, 1-2" short at PF and C. We should be able to get by as both of our forwards are good defenders and our PGs are pretty solid defenders as well, but we're definitely going to take a hit defensively next year. Hopefully we're improved enough offensively to offset that!

• Premium Member

The Miami Heat model will make fools out of many. Honestly it should be known as the Lebron James model..

Edited by NineOhTheRino