• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford still the starting C

MrMeltdown

http://blogs.ajc.com...fid=blogs_hawks Here we go again. Al Horford is still your starting C and Zaza is the only other option. I know, I know, I know. He is possibly a top 5 Center. My biggest problem with Al at C more than anything is that it reminds me of just how little we accomplished this offseason. We are still going to have the same undersized two front court pieces that simply don't have the physical tools to stop people like Kevin Garnett from getting post position and simply shooting over the top of them. Let's not overlook that KG and just shooting over the top of those two guys is what beat us more than anything in Game 6 last year. Yes, the refs helped them but we help them also by running out one of the smallest least intimidating frontlines in the NBA. I am simply tired of Al playing C and the Al, Josh, combo at 4 and 5. It is not a winning combination. How do you feel about this? Doesn't it kind of give you that Marvin bitter taste in the mouth type feel? Finally, LD is a semi-joke. This is not some rec league. Everytime I hear him speak of possibly changing lineups to matchup it just makes me sick at the stomach of such a bush league concept. Force your will onto others, not the other way around. Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

Sooooo all of the premier PFs (KG and Bosh) are moving to C and all of the premier SFs are moving to PF (Melo and Lebron) yet we want to still complain about our frontcourt not being able to matchup?

Exactly!! If that doesn't show that we're imposing our will and that this style of play works I don't know what will. Now that they have a proper supporting cast instead of being the supporting cast I'm sure you will see the advantages of having the 2 bigs we have. Miami sees/saw it. Boston and New York understand it and as the league continues to move forward y'all will see alot more teams copying our model. I think Horford's time out while watching Zaza and Ivan man his position as well as watching the finals has opened his eyes a bit to embracing his role as well. Dwight is an inch taller than him and the best center in the league!! Horford should be able to do alot more once he fully embraces his role and if not like Ferry said trading options are always available. Horford is a beast against Hibbert and Noah but can't handle the likes of Bosh and Garnett who are both power forwards who just recently moved to the center position. Al's a top five center and maybe a top 10-20 power forward. Josh is at least top 8 in that position so it's a clear choice of who should stay or go!! I think we will see what we were originally looking forward to with our bigs tandem. Get the rebound and run run run it doesn't matter who brings the ball up the court because we have five capable starters that can lead a break.

• Moderators

I like the flexibility angle. From C-Viv's interview:

Zaza played extremely well for us last year, particularly when Al went down. He has shown that he has the ability to be a starter. I’m not going to completely rule that out. I think there are going to be some times when we start Zaza at the 5 and Al at the 4.

Now, whether I trust LD to recognize when those times are (and aren't) is another matter, but I won't quibble. A two-time All-Star or one of the most reliable and prepared veteran bigs in the game, starting at the 5? It's a good problem to have. ~lw3

• Premium Member

http://blogs.ajc.com...fid=blogs_hawks Here we go again. Al Horford is still your starting C and Zaza is the only other option. I know, I know, I know. He is possibly a top 5 Center. My biggest problem with Al at C more than anything is that it reminds me of just how little we accomplished this offseason. We are still going to have the same undersized two front court pieces that simply don't have the physical tools to stop people like Kevin Garnett from getting post position and simply shooting over the top of them. Let's not overlook that KG and just shooting over the top of those two guys is what beat us more than anything in Game 6 last year. Yes, the refs helped them but we help them also by running out one of the smallest least intimidating frontlines in the NBA. I am simply tired of Al playing C and the Al, Josh, combo at 4 and 5. It is not a winning combination. How do you feel about this? Doesn't it kind of give you that Marvin bitter taste in the mouth type feel? Finally, LD is a semi-joke. This is not some rec league. Everytime I hear him speak of possibly changing lineups to matchup it just makes me sick at the stomach of such a bush league concept. Force your will onto others, not the other way around.

I happen to agree with you. I'd also add that other teams are not specifically following the Hawks model of small ball as the Hawks uasage of it has led to them being a weak rebounding team that has not been able to advance past the second round. I think the teams who have employed it sucessfully (Heat, Thunder) are teams who have one or two elite level players which obviously compensates somewhat for the size deficiency. The Hawks have not and still don't have that.
  • Like 1

Smoove is better at PF than AL is. There is no debating that. He's a mismatch for most guys outside of people like Bynum, and Howard.

Is there really no debating that? Josh is a better shot-blocker at PF, and maybe a better passer and MAYBE a better post scorer, but that's not hands down. Al is hands down a better post-defender and shooter, and a better garbage man and free-throw shooter. They're comparable slashers. Am I missing something? Al would lose a slight speed advantage by moving to 4 but would gain a significant size advantage and since he can step out on players like Rondo I have little doubt he would have zero trouble guarding speedier 4s. I'm not saying that Horford is DEFINITELY a better 4 than Josh (though I think he is), but there is certainly a debate. We've been debating it for ages. Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 3

On topic, Horford is probably a top 5 center. But we still either need a superstar or need more size (or maybe both). Josh and Horford aren't good enough to make up for a size disadvantage and aren't big enough to make up for a skill disadvantage. Sure, other teams are rolling out smaller frontcourts, but when you're playing Bosh at the 5 (who is comparable to both Horford and Josh) and Lebron at the 4 (no comment necessary), we still need help.

• Like 2

On topic, Horford is probably a top 5 center. But we still either need a superstar or need more size (or maybe both). Josh and Horford aren't good enough to make up for a size disadvantage and aren't big enough to make up for a skill disadvantage. Sure, other teams are rolling out smaller frontcourts, but when you're playing Bosh at the 5 (who is comparable to both Horford and Josh) and Lebron at the 4 (no comment necessary), we still need help.

Good posts and points. It is crazy because I started to put in my initial post that I would feel comfortable if I were a Heat fan of letting Lebron play Horford all night in the post and Horford is our so-called Center and that is just not right. When one of the teams that you have to go through can play there SF on your C all night and not really get hurt and your C is a top 5 Center it shows you something. Al is only a top 5 Center because there are not many true C's. You are not playing Lebron on Lopez, Hibbert, or Bynum in the post all night because you will get ate up. Considering we took a step back in talent by trading Joe for bums this will become even more obvious this year. Hibbert and Lopez will be playing on better teams this year so they will not get the attention that Al is going to get. Don't be surprised to see Al not make the all-star team this year as he and Josh will be targeted on the floor. Lastly, don't be surprised if Al is the one asking for a trade this year because playing Center is not in his heart and things are going to get real tough for him this year when he is both playing out of position and being targeted. Edited by MrMeltdown

Zaza is a poor starting Center for this team because he only does one of the three things that we need done well from a starting Center for this team. That is protecting the paint, rebounding, and finishing. Only one he does well enough is rebounding.

So is the issue size or talent then? People are bitching that we are still "small" but you said it yourself, is the team going out and getting Tyson Chandler and Serge Ibaka going to go ahead and solve all of our issues? The answer is no so it's time to shift the emphasis of complaints unless this is yet another thinly veiled excuse to complain that the team didn't get a superstar C to just land in their lap.

• Moderators

It is not a problem having Josh at the three. The problem is NO ONE behind a starter Zaza. Zaza is fine as the starting center. But we have nothing behind his behind.

I've thought of this too. If we have our 1&2 center options starting then who do we fall back on... Johan Petro? lol DF will probably look to draft at that position next year, throw the house at DH12, or may be look into trading for someone like Hawes... He has his shooters and if it's true that he likes guys that can "rebound and defend", then that'll be the next thing on his to-do list. If Dwight fails to get healthy this year, then he may be available next offseason at a discount.

So is the issue size or talent then? People are bitching that we are still "small" but you said it yourself, is the team going out and getting Tyson Chandler and Serge Ibaka going to go ahead and solve all of our issues? The answer is no so it's time to shift the emphasis of complaints unless this is yet another thinly veiled excuse to complain that the team didn't get a superstar C to just land in their lap.

? I said it's both. Mostly talent. Serge Ibaka and Tyson Chandler are less talented than Josh and Horford. All I'm saying is Josh and Horford simply aren't a good enough tandem to contend with their size issues. Horford is fine at the 5 if we get a superstar elsewhere. But if we're not getting a superstar, and we go the "Pistons" route, we need more physicality inside. I don't know where the condescending comment about hoping for Howard to fall into our laps came from. For what it's worth, I really don't like Howard and didn't expect us to get him in a trade anyway.
  • Like 1