• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Soaring Down South : Can Smoove become the superstar ATL needs?

ATLscrubLove

• Premium Member

That is a great f#$king article. GREAT read.

I laughed when I read the title, but dude is spot on. Y'know, I guess It's just common sense to me having worked in IT for 20 years. Anybody that does any sort of corrective work can probably appreciate the undertone of this article as well. There is a REASON why we haven't made it to the big games. You need elite talent.

Argue all you want, but teams WILL find elite talent. It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN. And when they do find that elite talent, and you step on the court against them with your B-squad... Well damn, haven't we seen this episode of The Cosby Show enough to KNOW what's going to happen by now? Seriously...

To that end, I believe that Josh Smith would make a fine component of an elite core. He is an elite talent in his own way, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a go to guy or a closer. He is a special talent though and regardless, Smoove will need the right focus to take his game to the next level.

...can't wait to watch him firing jump shots this year! :) lol

Go Hawks.

Whether you really like it or not. He is the closet thing we've had to Nique since Niqie. Just judging by overall skill level, I know Smoove can't shoot. But imagine if Smoove had a shot... He would be the left handed version of Nique, in a sense.

Josh Smith is no Dominique Wilkins. Not even close to Nique. And this isn't even young Nique. This is OLD Nique.

Nique and Smith only have dunking in common. And even in that aspect, Nique is light years ahead of Smith because Smith only goes into traffic and dunks on people when he's mad ( see the Ibaka dunk ) . Meanwhile, Nique used to do it all the time. Nique did it to electrify the crowd and embarrass people.Josh is the 2nd coming of Larry Nance, a guy who was a great help defensive player who could also score the basketball. But even Nance had a better jumper and post game than Josh. Nance played on those very good Cleveland Cavalier teams that couldn't get past Jordan and the Bulls. Keep in mind that Josh had 28.4% usage last year ( superstar type usage ), and led the Hawks in shots last year . . and he still only averaged 19 ppg. And that's because he's a below average FT shooter and only shot 46% FG from the PF spot.Josh an All-Star . . yesJosh a Superstar . . no way
  • Like 3

Josh Smith is no Dominique Wilkins. Not even close to Nique. And this isn't even young Nique. This is OLD Nique. http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yzjMrCNZw Nique and Smith only have dunking in common. And even in that aspect, Nique is light years ahead of Smith because Smith only goes into traffic and dunks on people when he's mad ( see the Ibaka dunk ) . Meanwhile, Nique used to do it all the time. Nique did it to electrify the crowd and embarrass people. Josh is the 2nd coming of Larry Nance, a guy who was a great help defensive player who could also score the basketball. But even Nance had a better jumper and post game than Josh. Nance played on those very good Cleveland Cavalier teams that couldn't get past Jordan and the Bulls. Keep in mind that Josh had 28.4% usage last year ( superstar type usage ), and led the Hawks in shots last year . . and he still only averaged 19 ppg. And that's because he's a below average FT shooter and only shot 46% FG from the PF spot. Josh an All-Star . . yes Josh a Superstar . . no way

You're just a little too harsh on Smoove... I think he's a star in the NBA and a unique player who can fill the stat sheet and excite the crowd on both ends of the floor. However, I agree with you that Smoove is nowhere near Nique! I remember the game against the Blazers as if it was yesterday (I think I still have it on VHS tape)! Nique tormented on of the best defensive teams in the league, who tried D by committee with the likes of Kersey, Clyde, Uncle Cliff, Mario Elie...

• Premium Member

Whether you really like it or not. He is the closet thing we've had to Nique since Niqie. Just judging by overall skill level, I know Smoove can't shoot. But imagine if Smoove had a shot... He would be the left handed version of Nique, in a sense.

IMHO, Josh Smith isn't even in the same planet as Nique when it comes to skill. You could very well be right, but that would be really, REALLY sad.

I'm not saying he is as good or will ever be as good as Nique. I'm just saying, from all the players we've had since the retirement of Nique. Smoove is the "closest" to Nique's skill set. Like I said, I don't think he is or will be that good. If Smoove was a better dribbler and much better shooter he would be in the same convo as Nique in my opinion. ( which neither will happen ).

I'm not saying he is as good or will ever be as good as Nique. I'm just saying, from all the players we've had since the retirement of Nique. Smoove is the "closest" to Nique's skill set. Like I said, I don't think he is or will be that good. If Smoove was a better dribbler and much better shooter he would be in the same convo as Nique in my opinion. ( which neither will happen ).

The reason why I posted a game clip of Dominique, is to show you that their games are nothing alike except in one area . . . transition offense. Nique could do it ALL offensively. He could knock down difficult midrange jumpers better than JJ. He could finish in traffic better than Josh. He could get to the FT line a ton. And he had a better post game than Al Horford. You just can't say "if Josh could shoot better and was a better dribbler, he'd be in the same convo as Nique". Umm . . no he wouldn't. That's like saying . . "if Jeff Teague had better court vision, he'd be Rajon Rondo". No . . he wouldn't. What Hawk fans, and people around Smith need to stop doing, is stop lying to that dude about what he can become. He is going into YEAR 9 of his NBA career. He just doesn't have the offensive skillset to be a superstar that carries his team. What he does have, is the defensive skillset to become known as one of the great defenders in the NBA. Josh isn't even Shawn Kemp. So comparing him to Nique ( even in a stretch ) is beyond the question. *************** @ T21 . . I just refuse to lie about what Smith is, or can become. The minute I tell a lie about Smith, make sure to call me out on it.
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

The reason why I posted a game clip of Dominique, is to show you that their games are nothing alike except in one area . . . transition offense. Nique could do it ALL offensively. He could knock down difficult midrange jumpers better than JJ. He could finish in traffic better than Josh. He could get to the FT line a ton. And he had a better post game than Al Horford. You just can't say "if Josh could shoot better and was a better dribbler, he'd be in the same convo as Nique". Umm . . no he wouldn't. That's like saying . . "if Jeff Teague had better court vision, he'd be Rajon Rondo". No . . he wouldn't. What Hawk fans, and people around Smith need to stop doing, is stop lying to that dude about what he can become. He is going into YEAR 9 of his NBA career. He just doesn't have the offensive skillset to be a superstar that carries his team. What he does have, is the defensive skillset to become known as one of the great defenders in the NBA. Josh isn't even Shawn Kemp. So comparing him to Nique ( even in a stretch ) is beyond the question. *************** @ T21 . . I just refuse to lie about what Smith is, or can become. The minute I tell a lie about Smith, make sure to call me out on it.

Well said North. I understand Josh is the hometown guy, but there's a need to be realistic. Josh is not a superstar player. This culture of overvaluing players for sentimental reasons has to stop. The main goal should be to win a title, no matter who's on the team.

Well said North. I understand Josh is the hometown guy, but there's a need to be realistic. Josh is not a superstar player. This culture of overvaluing players for sentimental reasons has to stop. The main goal should be to win a title, no matter who's on the team.

No where am I saying that he has superstar potential. Again look at the players we've had since '95. I'm not saying Smoove is equal to Nique and never will. All I'm saying is that Smoove is the closest we have had to him. When you think Highlight Factory, what do you think of? I think of nasty dunks, and who provides nasty dunks? Smoove ( usually ). Who was the last person to really light up the factory like that? Nique. Smoove bring that "it" factor that "should" put people in the seats. In terms of dunking, Smoove and Nique are very similar.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I understand what you said. I was speaking specifically at the article and those who do vastly overrate Josh's game. To your point, yeah Josh may be the closest thing to Nique in terms of excitement that the Hawks have had. But I'm sure you'd agree that close don't cut it and is not a reason to give him a max contract to keep him like some want to.

Well Josh Smith will never be a superstar. There's only 10 of them and they are Lebron, D-Wade, Durant, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Howard, Carmelo, Kobe, Dirk and D-Will. He doesn't have to be becuase he has been pretty got damn good player. I think us fans just want a marketable player which I think Smith is starting to become.I DO think Smith will have a monster season. Even better last year. I think he puts 20-23 points this season and makes his first all star.

• Premium Member

I agree, he definitely isn't worth the max. Maybe $15 mill or so a year at best.

I think 15 million per is too much. With this new CBA, you have to make the big contracts count. The Hawks will need enough money to snag at least two star players. To do that, you'll need two max contracts and then enough money to surround those guys with the right players.

I agree, he definitely isn't worth the max. Maybe $15 mill or so a year at best.

I think 15 million per is too much. With this new CBA, you have to make the big contracts count. The Hawks will need enough money to snag at least two star players. To do that, you'll need two max contracts and then enough money to surround those guys with the right players.

I can assure you that if the Hawks don't give him the $$$, some team in the league will. I'd even bet some teams are so hard up they will throw a max at Smoove... Something I hope we don't get pressured into doing.

Steph Curry got a 4yr/11mil deal witha bum ankle...smh. Also Hornets resigned Gordon 4yr/58 mil with a bum knee(out indefinitely)...smh.Josh deserves his 15 mil per maybe more (not a max)

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I have no doubt that someone will throw a MAX or near max deal at Smith. If I'm the Charlotte Bobcats, I'd do just that. I'm definitely doing it if I'm Cleveland, now that they already have a potential superstar playing the point in Kyrie Irving.PG - IrvingG - WaitersF - ThompsonPF - SmithC - VarejaoIrving and Smith are a nice building block for a young team like that, and might elevate them to borderline playoff status within a year or two.A team is definitely going to aggressively going to go after Josh, if he has a good year.

• Moderators

I have no doubt that someone will throw a MAX or near max deal at Smith. If I'm the Charlotte Bobcats, I'd do just that. I'm definitely doing it if I'm Cleveland, now that they already have a potential superstar playing the point in Kyrie Irving. PG - Irving G - Waiters F - Thompson PF - Smith C - Varejao Irving and Smith are a nice building block for a young team like that, and might elevate them to borderline playoff status within a year or two. A team is definitely going to aggressively going to go after Josh, if he has a good year.

Cleveland makes some sense to me but I am not signing a guy like Josh to a max contract if I am the Bobcats until I have my franchise draftee (and while I love their most recent pick, he isn't that guy). There is no point in building up to overpaid and mediocre with no meaningful shot a the top of the lottery. Once you have your franchise talent, you can go get a FA like that.

Cleveland makes some sense to me but I am not signing a guy like Josh to a max contract if I am the Bobcats until I have my franchise draftee (and while I love their most recent pick, he isn't that guy). There is no point in building up to overpaid and mediocre with no meaningful shot a the top of the lottery. Once you have your franchise talent, you can go get a FA like that.

I don't even know about Cleveland either, aren't Zeller and Thompson their frontcourt of the future? The Bobcats most definitely will not, they along with Rich Cho from Portland already learned their lesson about trying to overpay for relevancy with no actual shot at it. Edited by MaceCase