Josh Smith

Jody23

• Premium Member

Josh still can and probably will lebron the Hawks if he has an opportunity to do that. He spent the last years complaining and lashing out at the ASG because he was never at the All-Star Game.Like last year, assuming he keeps playing like this, he will make the AS game again. All-Scrub Game, that is. He will then put the blame in everyone but himself (again), and given the LA already has shown some interest in him being a Laker... Well you just do the math. What's easier, Dwight leaving the Lakers or Josh leaving the Hawks?We've come to a Josh situation in that it's trade or bust. I predict if DF doesn't trade him by the deadline then we will leave the Hawks empty-handed.Mark my words.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

While Danny Ferry certainly isn't the greatest executive ever, he's got to be smart enough to know that Josh Smith isn't the centerpiece of a championship team. He should be smart enough to know that Josh isn't a second option on a LEGIT title contender. He's just not that kind of player. It may not be what or who everyone thinks, but Ferry's got to know something or has something up his sleeve. Otherwise, this reported stance on Josh makes no sense.

Memphis is playing good basketball. I get the games here a gonna start watching them along with the Hawks.

Memphis was built correctly. Conley is not great and catches a lot of flack, but he has been playing nothing but PG every since college. Allen is a bulldog garbage player everyone needs that guy. Just so happens theres is a SG. Rudy is a SF and nothing but. Zach is a PF and nothing but. Gasol is a C and nothing but. Memphis has no reason to have the identity crisis type situation we have. We are built all wrong.

According to Steve Kyler (on twitter), a new deal with the Hawks is all but assured with Josh. He says he's talked to Josh and Josh is sold on remaining in Atlanta and that, despite the rumors, the Hawks have zero interest in trading him. Makes me wonder what other plans Ferry has in store for the offseason.

I'd say the chances of Smith re-signing with the Hawks are about 50/50 with him participating in a sign-and-trade to get shipped out of town. He can fit in with the team's plans, but at the same time the haul they could receive in return for his production might be something worth investigating.

• Moderators

If what is being said is true, then we can forget about anytrades for multiple future first round picks and the like.

Regardless of whether that is true, you can forget about trades for multiple first round picks. As a guy who is an obvious "max dollar" player and an unrestricted free agent, you aren't going to get that. Josh's trade value is not going to bring in a star. The bigger question is whether you want to build with him for the future. If you don't, you trade him for the max you can get (regardless of what it is) at some point (mid-season, S&T after the season, etc.). If you do, then you explore resigning him with Josh and his agent and figure out if it can be done at the 'right' price.

• Premium Member

I'd say the chances of Smith re-signing with the Hawks are about 50/50 with him participating in a sign-and-trade to get shipped out of town. He can fit in with the team's plans, but at the same time the haul they could receive in return for his production might be something worth investigating.

Not disputing that, just posting what I saw.

• Premium Member

Regardless of whether that is true, you can forget about trades for multiple first round picks. As a guy who is an obvious "max dollar" player and an unrestricted free agent, you aren't going to get that. Josh's trade value is not going to bring in a star. The bigger question is whether you want to build with him for the future. If you don't, you trade him for the max you can get (regardless of what it is) at some point (mid-season, S&T after the season, etc.). If you do, then you explore resigning him with Josh and his agent and figure out if it can be done at the 'right' price.

I wasn't just referring to a Josh trade, but any trade involving the Hawks. If Josh only wants to play for a contender and he has been "sold" on remaining, then I don't see the Hawks trading Horf, Teague or anyone else in step back to rebuild with draft picks kind of move.

• Moderators

I wasn't just referring to a Josh trade, but any trade involving the Hawks. If Josh only wants to play for a contender and he has been "sold" on remaining, then I don't see the Hawks trading Horf, Teague or anyone else in step back to rebuild with draft picks kind of move.

I think that is right. Some people think the Hawks are passing up on great trade offers to keep Josh, though, and I just want people to think about it the right way.

Josh will have trade value even three years from now after he signs a 5 year deal. People act like we are stuck with him like Joe or Duck. Those two brought back virtually nothing in value.Josh will always bring back value to a franchise that wants to shake things up. Pau has been shopped around alot and no one is biting. A sign and trade with Lal in July is always there for Gasol. Ferry holds all the cards and he can afford to wait until then.

• Premium Member

I think that is right. Some people think the Hawks are passing up on great trade offers to keep Josh, though, and I just want people to think about it the right way.

I gotcha. I personally don't think Josh is a guy whose the centerpiece of a legit contender, but if Ferry can build one with him in the mix, I'm all for it.

• Premium Member

Part of me keeps wondering if he, CP3, and D12 haven't already had some secret alliance formed for this off-season. S&T for Paul using Teague as a main piece and S&T for Howard using Horford?

If that were the case, I could see a sign and trade of Teague because of the depth at that position. But I think they'd keep Horf to stay bigger up front.

If that were the case, I could see a sign and trade of Teague because of the depth at that position. But I think they'd keep Horf to stay bigger up front.

Financially, it would be really tough to do that even if Paul, Smith, and Howard took a reduced rate: Paul $18.00 Smith $12.00 Howard $18.00 Williams $5.2 Jenkins $1.2 That's $54.4 in committed salaries just to those 5. If you pick up Stevenson's option, you'd be at $56.6. The balance of that would be towards paying our 2 draft picks (assuming we get Houston's). That would only leave us our MLE and league min's to fill out our roster. We wouldn't have enough committed salaries to S&T straight up for either Paul or Howard so we'd have to be taking back more salary than we send out which means we'd have to be under the cap before when we do this deal. Obviously, we could trade our picks in those deals (as we'd most likely have to) and save a little $, but getting back equal production for the $ would be difficult. Let's say you pick up Stevenson's option, that leaves you with approximately $3.4 million to spend before you start using your MLE and league min. salaries. I don't see any of our current key guys returning for that kind of $ (ZaZa, Korver, Devin) and we'd have to renounce them before we could take back additional salary unless since we'd have to stay under the cap. I believe I have all that right, but someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

We used the MLE on LL. They only have the small option and minimum salaries in such the scenario.

That's right! I forgot about not getting it again each year. Do they still have the LLE any more? Technically, you'd have a starting lineup and a 6th man for your team and be under the cap, but you'd have to fill out your bench with 2-1st rounders, 1-2nd rounder, and alot of min. salaries. You'd need some legitimate depth at SF, PG, and C in order to feel good about your team. Our team would honestly look alot like that 1st Boton big 3 team that won it all. The big 3, a young Rondo, Posey, a young Perkins, and a host of scrubs. Edited by Dragitoff

• Moderators

I gotcha. I personally don't think Josh is a guy whose the centerpiece of a legit contender, but if Ferry can build one with him in the mix, I'm all for it.

This. I don't know why people think that if Josh remains in Atlanta, then he has to be "the centerpiece". Josh can be just a piece to the puzzle, but we need guys higher than him on the offensive totem pole. If Dwight comes, then Josh will be the 3rd or possibly 4th option on offense (Dwight, Horf, Teague). So far what I have seen out of Josh is a guy that is feeling the pressure of franchise and fan base to perform. A lot of people expect Josh to be a Kobe or Nique type figure and that isn't Josh. Josh is the man this year because Joe is in Brooklyn and Josh is Atlanta's own. He is in the spotlight because he is more marketable than Horford/Teague. If Dwight doesn't come, then you look to get a new coach (I'm thinking Weiss gets promoted) and develop Jenkins into a star. You look to bring in other talent through the draft and FA. Ferry stated that one area he is focusing on is building up the player development department of the Hawks.

DF and ASG are trying to create a championship squad here in Atlanta and it's going to take longer than one season to do so... DF > Sund, BK... DF has done nothing but good since coming here...

1. Traded Joe's contract.

2. Relieved Atlanta of the whole "we coulda had Paul/Deron" and got a good backup PG.

3. Brought in Lou on the MLE.

4. Brought in Korver for basically free.

5. Got this team from out under the ceiling they have been under and gave us all a fresh start. We do not know how high the ceiling is that DF can provide.

6. Attempted to trade for Dwight, but Orlando blocked the trade because we were in the division. Can't expect Ferry to force things to happen. One thing I loved though is that he told LA to shove it when they tried to get Horford AND Teague...

I honestly feel that Josh loves this city and team. A lot think that he will demand the max, but I don't feel that way. I feel he sees what Ferry is trying to accomplish and think he'll give the team a hometown discount. I wouldn't be opposed to Josh getting it done sooner than later.

This. I don't know why people think that if Josh remains in Atlanta, then he has to be "the centerpiece". Josh can be just a piece to the puzzle, but we need guys higher than him on the offensive totem pole. If Dwight comes, then Josh will be the 3rd or possibly 4th option on offense (Dwight, Horf, Teague). So far what I have seen out of Josh is a guy that is feeling the pressure of franchise and fan base to perform. A lot of people expect Josh to be a Kobe or Nique type figure and that isn't Josh. Josh is the man this year because Joe is in Brooklyn and Josh is Atlanta's own. He is in the spotlight because he is more marketable than Horford/Teague. If Dwight doesn't come, then you look to get a new coach (I'm thinking Weiss gets promoted) and develop Jenkins into a star. You look to bring in other talent through the draft and FA. Ferry stated that one area he is focusing on is building up the player development department of the Hawks. DF and ASG are trying to create a championship squad here in Atlanta and it's going to take longer than one season to do so... DF > Sund, BK... DF has done nothing but good since coming here... 1. Traded Joe's contract. 2. Relieved Atlanta of the whole "we coulda had Paul/Deron" and got a good backup PG. 3. Brought in Lou on the MLE. 4. Brought in Korver for basically free. 5. Got this team from out under the ceiling they have been under and gave us all a fresh start. We do not know how high the ceiling is that DF can provide. 6. Attempted to trade for Dwight, but Orlando blocked the trade because we were in the division. Can't expect Ferry to force things to happen. One thing I loved though is that he told LA to shove it when they tried to get Horford AND Teague... I honestly feel that Josh loves this city and team. A lot think that he will demand the max, but I don't feel that way. I feel he sees what Ferry is trying to accomplish and think he'll give the team a hometown discount. I wouldn't be opposed to Josh getting it done sooner than later.

That's why I feel that conversation Ferry had with Josh this summer when he laid out his vision and plan for the Hawks that got Josh to change his tune about things. Whether that meant Ferry told him he is THE MAN in ATL now, or he envisions bringing a championship to ATL and wants Josh to be a part of that remains to be seen. As good as Josh can be, even he has to realize he needs more than just him here to win it all. He needs guys who can do the things he can't so he has to be reasonable in that respect. That's why that conversation had to include specifics about bringing in guys to build this team around. I thought Teague might have been an intrigal part of that, but now I'm not so sure with the way he's being used. In my little fun scenario, having Teague's contract on the books vs. Paul's would give us alot more flexibility but Paul is also an elite PG while Teague is still growing. He's growing fast though this season.