• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Clippers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Vinny Del Negro knows what happens to L.A. coaches when their team gets on even the slightest of skids. He’ll be striving to avert such a slide when his Clippers sail into the Highlight Factory tonight, trying to stem a two-game losing streak. It will be the third game in four nights for the Clip Show and the fourth road game in six nights, criss-crossing from San Antonio to Oklahoma City to Brooklyn, and now to Atlanta.

LAC was listless in the second half against the Nets on Friday night. The 16 points in the third quarter were followed by an even paltrier final stanza where wunderpoint Chris Paul may have had more fouls (6 all in one quarter, fouling out of the game in the final minute) than his team had field goals (13 points). “Must See BG” Blake Griffin was barely discernible in the second half, scoring just two of his 14 points.

The Hawks hung tough at Staples a couple weeks ago before collapsing in the final quarter as the Clippers went on a 15-1 run. After his dismal second half, CP3 will be desperate to reaffirm himself as the best Demon Deacon point guard alum on the floor tonight. Paul turned the finger toward himself after last night’s loss. “We’ve got to do better and it starts with me… I have to do a better job of finding guys when I’m open. I am probably holding on to the ball too much and I need to move it.”

The problem for him is akin to Batman trying to distribute the ball to the Justice League. Everybody from Griffin to DeAndre Jordan to (leading scorer) Jamal Crawford is out there playing heroball. Despite Paul being second in the league in assists per game, his Clippers are in the bottom half of the pack (18th) for team assists. While he plans to give up the ball more often and earlier in the clock, you can bet that when he does, his teammates aren’t looking to get the ball back to him, or to anyone else.

Jeff Teague will need to do a better job than he did late in last night’s Bobcats game of keeping the guard he’s defending out of the lane and away from the rim. If it’s Paul, Teague will also need to shield whenever CP3’s moving off the ball, forcing the other Clippers into being playmakers. The team’s second leading assist-maker, Griffin has become as likely to turn the ball over as he is to get the assist (3.1 APG, 3.1 TOPG). In the absence of Chauncey Billups, Eric Bledsoe turns the ball over at a rate (5.4 TOs per 48 minutes) more frequent than all but two NBA players averaging more than 15 minutes per game.

Atlanta has been looking more like Lob City than Tinseltown. At least through last week, the Hawks were finishing at the rim at a 65 percent clip, while 58 percent of their at-rim baskets have been assisted (2nd in the NBA). It’s apparently Al Horford’s turn to wear the “Hawks’ leading scorer hat,” and he serves as a solid offensive counter to the dunk-happy Griffin and Jordan. According to CBSSports’ Dunk-o-Meter, he has more slam dunks than anyone in the Eastern Conference (18), with 16 (89%) of them assisted.

The Clips will try and counter the Hawks’ three-point air raid of Anthony Morrow (45.5%), Teague (45.5%), and Kyle Korver (44.8%) with Caron Butler (45.2%), and two ex-Hawks, Crawford (41.3%) and Willie Green (40.0%). As bad as Josh Smith can be with that 3-point shot (20% on 1.0 attempts per game), Matt Barnes sure could use an intervention (19% on 2.8 attempts per game).

It goes without saying that the Hawks need to more effectively convert their free throws, but especially against the hack-happy Clippers, who rank 3rd in personal fouls per game. Ryan Hollins leads all NBA players getting 15+ minutes per game in fouls (10.1 PFs) per 48 minutes, while Jordan and Griffin join Hollins among the top 25 players with 15+ minutes in fouls per game.

The potential is certainly there for one of those Keith Jackson-style rumblin'-stumblin’-bumblin’ games. The Hawks lead the league in opponent turnover rates (18.3 goofs per 48 minutes), while the Clippers rank second (17.8 per 48). Whichever team tightens up their execution from their game last night while be in pole position as tonight’s game concludes.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 1

Not to jump the gun, but this could be the start of something huge.Smoove goes to the bench with foul trouble. Team does well in his absence. Coach leaves him on the bench. Smoove reacts how??We'll see this half. That can be emasculating for a pro athlete. And if that athlete has been the subject of trade rumors and general fan unhappiness? Things could go south REAL quick.Devin is out tonight with turf toe.

Looking good tonight all around and Clippers are a legit team. I'm really liking this team so far this season. We aren't accustomed as Hawks fans seeing our team playing together as a team this much. I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as me.I'm proud to be one of the many on here that felt we had a good team before the season started. So many on here thought we were a 35 win team at best this year.

• Like 2

I was entertained and inspired by this win. Korver had a block on Crawford out of bounds that went to the Hawks, Zaza and Al fought for 3 offensive rebounds and a score, then Zaza had a block on Paul that went out of bounds and to the Hawks, all within a minutes time around the 5:00 mark in the third. We were 6th in scoring defense last season, I didn't think we'd get above 10th this season at any significant point. 2nd after 12 games? Everyone defended shots as if their life depended on it. Many of those shots the Clippers make highlights on. Tonight, there was always a man in perfect position to deny an easy oppurtunity. Offense comes and goes. Attention to detail on the defensive end will never fail you. This team seems to realize this, and that's all I can ever ask for. Outstanding team win all around the board. Lets mutha&@ckin go.

• Like 2