• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks PF Department need to tout Josh Smith's defense

TheNorthCydeRises

Smoove isn't a bad player, but he always has a bunch of bonehead plays to counter the good things he does. He stays back complaining about not getting a call a lot allowing his man uncontested on the other side. Not to mention when he decides to take a contested jump shot when we have someone open on the other side of the wing, or when he won't pass the ball out to the open guy on the wing when he is being doubled in the post.He just does a lot of dumb things that go unseen on the stat sheet.

• Moderators

I am glad to see Smoove taking my advice and playing to his strengths. He is playing almost primarily in the post on offense and is becoming a defensive juggernaut. Getting a lot of blocks and steals and you can't argue a 3.1 OPER. Seems to be passing the ball more on offense and allowing his teammates to do what they do. He is making himself un-tradeable now because this team is going to start leaning on him more to keep the numbers going... Not for points, but on defense and making those passes inside to Horf and to the corner for Korver.

Did you say 3.1 per at SF North? How does that stack up with the top wing defenders? Props to Josh who maybe finding his niche on this team.

That's damn good number. That means the SF's that he is guarding is basically nonexistent... He is taking them almost completely out of the game. I am happy too that he has found his niche and glad it's the one this team needs. Nothing wrong with Smoove working towards being the NBA's Defensive POTY.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I am glad to see Smoove taking my advice and playing to his strengths. He is playing almost primarily in the post on offense and is becoming a defensive juggernaut. Getting a lot of blocks and steals and you can't argue a 3.1 OPER. Seems to be passing the ball more on offense and allowing his teammates to do what they do. He is making himself un-tradeable now because this team is going to start leaning on him more to keep the numbers going... Not for points, but on defense and making those passes inside to Horf and to the corner for Korver. That's damn good number. That means the SF's that he is guarding is basically nonexistent... He is taking them almost completely out of the game. I am happy too that he has found his niche and glad it's the one this team needs. Nothing wrong with Smoove working towards being the NBA's Defensive POTY.

Though it's still early, I wonder how that will fare with those who claim Smith can't play 3.

Smoove isn't a bad player, but he always has a bunch of bonehead plays to counter the good things he does. He stays back complaining about not getting a call a lot allowing his man uncontested on the other side. Not to mention when he decides to take a contested jump shot when we have someone open on the other side of the wing, or when he won't pass the ball out to the open guy on the wing when he is being doubled in the post. He just does a lot of dumb things that go unseen on the stat sheet.

"Always," huh? You still watching the games? Or are you too busy trying to get an autographed Tevin Campbell-- I mean John Wall-- poster?

For a casual fan, you look at this team and figure there is no way we can play anything resembling defense. Tiny guards, lack of true big men, and a bunch of guys who have a reputation of "defensively challenged." However, so far this year, many players (like Smoove and Korver) are putting together amazing defensive efforts thus far this year. We keep this up, and Smoove continues to play like he did in the last game, and we could turn ourselves into a team that offers more than traditional playoff fodder this year.

• Like 1

Smoove isn't a bad player, but he always has a bunch of bonehead plays to counter the good things he does. He stays back complaining about not getting a call a lot allowing his man uncontested on the other side. Not to mention when he decides to take a contested jump shot when we have someone open on the other side of the wing, or when he won't pass the ball out to the open guy on the wing when he is being doubled in the post.

He just does a lot of dumb things that go unseen on the stat sheet.

Save the stabs for another thread. Posted Image

"Always," huh? You still watching the games? Or are you too busy trying to get an autographed Tevin Campbell-- I mean John Wall-- poster?

I watch every single game bro, I know how dumb he plays. Some games aren't as bad as others, but overall he makes a lot of mental mistakes.

Let's see if he can sustain that defense against 3s for the rest of the season. He's got the ability. If he can, we've got that defensive hybrid wing we need and can look into acquiring a 5 (preferably one who can shoot). Josh could potentially be our Shawn Marion(ish). Bring in a sick coach and we have ourselves a team to watch.Edit: And when I say sustain, I simply mean continue to be very good. Maintaining an opposing PER of 3.1 would be insane.

Edited by TheFuzz