• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are really hyping this Rudy rumor

ATLscrubLove

There has got to be some reason the Grizzlies want to move this guy. He is a 26 year old SF who is primed to be a star in this league. His numbers are a little down thus far... But maybe Memphis knows something we don't, or they want to release some cap room for the 2013 F/A pool since Rudy has a massive contract. I mean this guy is averaging 18 ppg on .409 shooting % which is down from previous years. His scoring/shooting efficiency is down considerably from last year as well, and he also has 5 technical fouls so far this season ( most he has ever had ) and it's only a little over a quarter through the year.

They weren't able to retain O.J. so why would they just trade another young star? Maybe they realize they paid the man too much? Skeptic because his numbers are a little down... Either way something smells a bit fishy with this guy.

Edited by ATLscrubLove
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Memphis is looking to move him because of his contract and they feel that he doesn't fit into they're scheme. We just moved Joe because of his contract, yet folks think Gay is better than Joe and his contract is worth it. Gay doesn't make us a contender... Plus, people are wanting Josh traded for Gay when Josh will sign for us next offseason for way less than the $18 mil that Gay stands to make next year. We need a center to get Horford over to 4 and a scorer ahead of Josh to take shots away from him. Josh is a valuable player on defense and in transition. A lot of Josh's shots come late in the shot clock too...

Memphis is looking to move him because of his contract and they feel that he doesn't fit into they're scheme. We just moved Joe because of his contract, yet folks think Gay is better than Joe and his contract is worth it. Gay doesn't make us a contender... Plus, people are wanting Josh traded for Gay when Josh will sign for us next offseason for way less than the $18 mil that Gay stands to make next year. We need a center to get Horford over to 4 and a scorer ahead of Josh to take shots away from him. Josh is a valuable player on defense and in transition. A lot of Josh's shots come late in the shot clock too...

I think Gay would fit pretty well with our scheme. I mean he is basically another Smoove on the offensive end ( athleticism wise ) plus he can actually shoot the ball well. We do need a center but the only centers that may be available are Al Jefferson and Gortat. Horford is better at the 4 but he is one of the best centers in the league ( while playing out of position ).

But trade wise, it would be Harris/Korver pick for Gay or Lou/Korver/Petro. Gay may not make us a contender but he would at least give us a legitimate SF... Not to mention he is really good. I doubt Ferry will make a move that drastic this year though.

I don't want to trade Josh for Gay but where do you get the idea that Josh will sign for much less, he is making 13.2 mil this season alone. He will be looking for a raise. what do you consider way less? If you don't hink Josh is looking for a max deal or close to you are out of your mind. He will actually use Rudy's contract to try and score a deal.

• Premium Member

Josh will not score a deal like Rudy's from the Hawks or anybody else and I don't think he's going to try. His numbers are pretty much the same as Horford's while he shoots a much far worse percentage. Based off the numbers, he should get a deal similar to Horford's which would be fair and would allow the Hawks to take aim on bigger targets ( which is what Josh REALLY wants).As far as the Rudy rumor, it should die. I don't know why some are gluttons for the punishment of long term mediocrity. Absolutely zero chance Ferry gives up significant financial flexibility for Rudy Gay. #not gonna happen

Edited by Jody23

I'll say this once again . . . Memphis is NOT trying to move Rudy Gay, not right now at least. This is almost equal to the Josh Smith trade rumors of last year. The Hawks weren't exactly looking to trade him, but they were keeping their eyes open IF something they like became available.The same goes for Rudy this year. The Grantland and Bleacher Report articles about Gay simply go through the scenario of possible suitors for a Gay trade.

Nothing really fishy about it. Despite new ownership Memphis is still a small market paying luxury tax in a punitive CBA. Ideally they'd look to trade ZBo due to age but he is a fan favorite that transformed the franchise with his play during a year Rudy was hurt....so that would be a tough pill for them to swallow. Add to it that the strength of their team is a punishing post tandem an you can see why it would be difficult to justify paying that amount to a wing slasher.As is, I agree with Jody that Ferry wouldn't pull the trigger pre-deadline especially with the Lakers playoff hopes looking worse and worse but come the offseason, if the major free agents don't shake loose, then a trade like this will definitely be looked at.

• Premium Member

We need a center to get Horford over to 4 and a scorer ahead of Josh to take shots away from him. Josh is a valuable player on defense and in transition. A lot of Josh's shots come late in the shot clock too...

Yes. A scorer like Lou Williams. Oh wait... Posted Image