• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove will be with us for the long haul... Unfortunately. ( My opinion )

ATLscrubLove

No one is going to give us what Ferry wants for Smoove, which is a star caliber player in return. So I don't see him being traded at all. In fact I see a very grim future, in that I mean Ferry giving in to Smoove and offering him a max deal this summer.

Even if we get Dwight via trade or free agency, can we honestly build a championship team with Howard/Smoove being our 1-2 punch? We won't have any flexibility which is what Ferry cherishes and "IF" we trade for Howard we will no longer have Horford...

I don't mind keeping Smoove but I would only keep him if he will take about $13-15 mill a year. Otherwise I don't see a bright future ahead of us.

Edited by ATLscrubLove

We got him now and are going nowhere. Why pay him more to continue to go no where. Over on realgm in there is a blog about who will get the next bad contract. Josh Smith's name is all over the place. I think that Ferry is seeing just what other teams think he is worth.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

No one is going to give us what Ferry wants for Smoove, which is a star caliber player in return. So I don't see him being traded at all. In fact I see a very grim future, in that I mean Ferry giving in to Smoove and offering him a max deal this summer. Even if we get Dwight via trade or free agency, can we honestly build a championship team with Howard/Smoove being our 1-2 punch? We won't have any flexibility which is what Ferry cherishes and "IF" we trade for Howard we will no longer have Horford... I don't mind keeping Smoove but I would only keep him if he will take about $13-15 mill a year. Otherwise I don't see a bright future ahead of us.

I have similar concerns as Josh Smith is no where near a max player and cannot be your number one or two guy if you want to seriously contend. That said, if he isn't moved (I don't think he will be), Ferry will have at least some leverage with being able to offer a five year deal, which no one else would be able to. In addition, the only teams who would be willing to give Josh a max deal under this CBA are the desperate teams which will be the bad teams with cap space and Josh won't except those. And if Ferry can make this thing attractive enough, Howard and others might want to come on board and put pressure on Smoove to accept a reasonable deal.

• Premium Member

We got him now and are going nowhere. Why pay him more to continue to go no where. Over on realgm in there is a blog about who will get the next bad contract. Josh Smith's name is all over the place. I think that Ferry is seeing just what other teams think he is worth.

Exactly. And if Josh enters free agency as a Hawk, that perception plus the ability to offer a five year deal will work in the Hawks favor to prevent him from getting grossly overpaid.

• Premium Member

I'd let him walk before I'd give him a max deal. No. Just...no dice on that. You can't give him that kind of money and you can't build around him. Josh needs an environment like Boston - surrounded by big dogs and a championship coach with a spine. As long as he's here, dude has no leash and will always be out of control. Slapping a max contract on that is the WORST scenario imaginable here.

I can't bring myself to believe that DF doesn't see this. He won't let it happen.

• Like 2

No one is going to give us what Ferry wants for Smoove, which is a star caliber player in return. So I don't see him being traded at all. In fact I see a very grim future, in that I mean Ferry giving in to Smoove and offering him a max deal this summer.

Even if we get Dwight via trade or free agency, can we honestly build a championship team with Howard/Smoove being our 1-2 punch? We won't have any flexibility which is what Ferry cherishes and "IF" we trade for Howard we will no longer have Horford...

I don't mind keeping Smoove but I would only keep him if he will take about $13-15 mill a year. Otherwise I don't see a bright future ahead of us.

Honestly, that's not what scares me. It's that we miss out on Dwight or get him and he's not healthy. Dwight took the Magic to the Finals with not much more than a few good shooters, a decent PG, and a few role players. The Hawks have more talent and could assemble more talent than that around Dwight, but again, would he come here and would he be 100%?

I doubt that Smith would get a max from the Hawks. Some team might do it, but with the new cap rules there is a lot of incentive to be more frugal with the cap and lux tax line. GMs have to understand that you can't give a max to a guy that doesn't take over games. If you, you've crippled your franchise for the length of that deal. I think Ferry gets that completely and will not give Smith a max deal. I suspect Smith will be traded by the deadline. Others might be moved as well, including Teague.