• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another step for Dwight coming to Atlanta?

Yeah. It is between us and Dallas realistically if he wants to leave LA. Yet, Hawks fans are so used to mediocrity that they say we have a less than 10% chance of getting him.

DALLAS HAS MARK FREAKING CUBAN GUYS HOW CAN WE TOP THAT

Edited by GameTime

Uhm well......Brooklyn fans have a right to be angry because a mere months before Dwight was set to sign in BK with Deron he decided he didn't want to be the "bad guy" and opted in to the last year of his deal creating the whole circus. That is why he and Deron don't get along anymore. They had colluded to team up beforehand but Dwight and his flipflopping had a supposed detrimental effect on a guy whose concerns go beyond just himself but his families' well being also. Dwight can change his mind whenever he wants but when you have a wife and (legitimate) kids you can't keep their future in limbo not to mention any of Deron's career aspirations.

The Nets obviously panicked and scrambled to find other pieces in order to get Deron to stay (remember, he was now calling Joe). For that we thank Dwight but the Nets have zero conceivable ways of obtaining Dwight now regardless once they went all in on their "Core Four". The Lakers aren't trading Dwight for anything less than Lebron and both the Nets and Lakers are prohibited from making a sign and trade by the new CBA. So yea, after that I'd call him a ponce too If I was a Net fan.

You seriously want Howard? The dude is hurt. He ain't coming back to the same form he was in Orlando. Ha nothing to do with LA. He's hurt. He had a back injury and is playing a sport that requires a lot of stress on your back.

We (Squawk, not Ferry) aren't willing to take the risk. We will settle for 5th place like we always do.

• Like 1

We (Squawk, not Ferry) aren't willing to take the risk. We will settle for 5th place like we always do.

Remember Chris Crawford and Speedy Claxton? The Dwight Howard risk is about 5 times greater as we could give him 20 million a year and then watch him become a fixture on the injured list. We'd then be done as a team until his contract is up in 4 years. I know he was a great player but he's got a bad back and I can't think of an example of a problem athlete with a bad back that healed and no longer caused problems. So yeah we should all be very leerry of signing Dwight, whom I doubt would even pass a physical anyway.
  • Like 4

Forget Howard, trade Smith for young guys or picks /filler. Trade any expiring who can get us a first for pick/filler and rebuild in 2 years while maintaining a fairly competitive team. Also can conserve the good cap situation by passing on aging FAs or sign short contract FA or get lucky and sign a top FA.Bad the rest of this season. Pretty bad next season. Start turning the corner coming into 2014. Short rebuild

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will be Howard's chief suitors when he enters free agency July 1. But the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year contract worth roughly $118 million while every other team in the league can offer him only about $88 million over four years. The extra $30 million means a lot to Howard, sources said, and is definitely a major advantage for the Lakers. With the injuries he's recently suffered to his back and shoulder, Howard might be less inclined to give up the extra year of security. ESPN.com

I said it before and I'll say it again....Money talks, Bullshit walks. His injury situation is something that he will take into account when deciding if giving up that money is worth it.

As much as i'd hate to make a trade for Howard this year. (Assuming we would have to trade Horford) It is absolutely necessary to this franchise. Having a good solid team is great, heck I prefer it but in Basketball you need a star.

Superstar = outside (casual fan) credibility = Bandwagon Fans = large fanbase = beginning of tradition

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will be Howard's chief suitors when he enters free agency July 1. But the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year contract worth roughly $118 million while every other team in the league can offer him only about $88 million over four years. The extra $30 million means a lot to Howard, sources said, and is definitely a major advantage for the Lakers. With the injuries he's recently suffered to his back and shoulder, Howard might be less inclined to give up the extra year of security. ESPN.com

I said it before and I'll say it again....Money talks, Bullshit walks. His injury situation is something that he will take into account when deciding if giving up that money is worth it.

Yep his bad back could absolutely force him to take the 5 year deal as he'll probably not get another big contract again after this one due to his health. If he were perfectly healthy then I could see him risking a 3-4 year deal someplace.

• Moderators

Remember Chris Crawford and Speedy Claxton? The Dwight Howard risk is about 5 times greater as we could give him 20 million a year and then watch him become a fixture on the injured list. We'd then be done as a team until his contract is up in 4 years. I know he was a great player but he's got a bad back and I can't think of an example of a problem athlete with a bad back that healed and no longer caused problems. So yeah we should all be very leerry of signing Dwight, whom I doubt would even pass a physical anyway.

I can attest to back injuries lingering and putting a damper on performance. I injured my back about 5 months ago and I still have problems getting out of bed in the morning, standing up, sitting down, picking up things, etc. I also use to be able to get rim when I would play, but now I can barely get halfway up the net... Bad knees and bad backs are bad news.

Obligatory:

Posted Image

How about Dwight asking for a trade to Atlanta, so that the Hawks can pay him the most money in a new contract?

That's a TRUE STEP.

If he wanted to play for the Hawks so bad, that's exactly what he'd do.

As much as I think he would help this franchise, even I am starting to dislike the idea of him being here. If we have to basically go through an 83-Ring circus just to get him . . . forget it. If he doesn't want to commit to the most storied franchise in NBA history, then how in the hell is he going to commit to us . . . AND take 30 million LESS?

That's why it's a pipe dream to get Dwight, and why Ferry should simply move on.

Heck, we still need to make a decision on Jeff Teague, and if we're prepared to match significant offers from him.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

How is the risk 5 times greater? Dwight Howard is a superstar. Crawford and Speed were role players when we overpaid for them. That was a heck of a gamble IMO.

We are already done as a team. 2nd round exits at best. Ferry knows this. Why not attempt to take a risk?

Worse case, Dwight gets hurt then we tank the season like we were gonna do without Dwight.

If Dwight doesn't pass a physical then he will retire next year anyway lol.

I just find it unbelievable for years we blame ASG for being bums and not trying to take risks and win.

Then when they get Ferry and he wants to do it, we tell him "wait a minute it is not worth it".

How is the risk 5 times greater? Dwight Howard is a superstar. Crawford and Speed were role players when we overpaid for them. That was a heck of a gamble IMO.

We are already done as a team. 2nd round exits at best. Ferry knows this. Why not attempt to take a risk?

Worse case, Dwight gets hurt then we tank the season like we were gonna do without Dwight.

If Dwight doesn't pass a physical then he will retire next year anyway lol.

I just find it unbelievable for years we blame ASG for being bums and not trying to take risks and win.

Then when they get Ferry and he wants to do it, we tell him "wait a minute it is not worth it".

It's not that it isn't worth it, because Ferry wants to do it.

It isn't worth it because Dwight does not want to come here.

Until I see or hear a statement from him saying that he wants to play in ATL, I'm not believing for one second that we can get him.

This dude is playing everybody for fools, because he likes to see his name in the spotlight. That's why he hasn't committed yet. I believe he actually likes all of this attention, even if he denies that he doesn't want it.

30 extra million in a contract . . . plus the opportunity to be the next iconic center for the Los Angeles Lakers . . . and he's going to turn THAT DOWN to play with Josh Smith in Atlanta?

Wake me up when the Dwightmare is over.

Edited by northcyde