• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ferry "no one is untouchable" nearing the deadline.

ATLscrubLove

I love how people think we are going to add these good players in the off season. What evidence is there that says we sign Mayo or Al Jefferson.

I hope not a whole lot. It seems I'm in the minority, but I don't like either one of those players.

Edit: That is to say, they are both good players, but I'm afraid they'll be overpaid (capping us out) and won't make us good enough to get out of the second round/ECF.

Edited by TheFuzz

Just common GM speak as there's probably only 5 guys in the NBA untouchable. Ferry is just distracting from the Smith rumors is all.

Sorry but he's being real. Before the season started he was willing to part ways with Al and Teague for Howard. And for anyone to think that Al or Josh is untradeable is just silly. I have said Josh will not be traded and I stand by that.If he was traded I will be cool with it because I'm sure we will be getting a good player for him. Same for Al.

• Moderators

Sounds great until you actually hear what the "right price" is.

If the return on the trade isn't better than holding the assets, then you don't do the trade. I agree that some posters are expecting pie in the sky results but the GM has to listen to offers for everyone and make those decisions. We don't have any untouchables and we aren't in a "win now" mode.

Sorry but he's being real. Before the season started he was willing to part ways with Al and Teague for Howard. And for anyone to think that Al or Josh is untradeable is just silly. I have said Josh will not be traded and I stand by that.If he was traded I will be cool with it because I'm sure we will be getting a good player for him. Same for Al.

I didn't say they weren't untradeable I was saying that Ferry is stating the obvious that everyone is available.
  • Like 1

I hope not a whole lot. It seems I'm in the minority, but I don't like either one of those players. Edit: That is to say, they are both good players, but I'm afraid they'll be overpaid (capping us out) and won't make us good enough to get out of the second round/ECF.

Sounds like to tear it all down and hope we win the lottery in a year that has a superstar in it. I'm ok with building assets and doing it like the Celtics and Pistons did it. Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

If the return on the trade isn't better than holding the assets, then you don't do the trade. I agree that some posters are expecting pie in the sky results but the GM has to listen to offers for everyone and make those decisions. We don't have any untouchables and we aren't in a "win now" mode.

My question or worry rather is whether the GM's price is for a "pie in the sky" return. He can say that no one is untradeable but that means nothing if, from your earlier post on value, a great return of a player like Durant is seen as the baseline for discussing a trade of our assets.

Sounds like to tear it all down and hope we win the lottery in a year that has a superstar in it.I'm ok with building assets and doing it like the Celtics and Pistons did it.

I'd like to build assets as well, and I think we can remain competitive while doing it. The thing is though an overpaid player isn't so much an asset any more. I'd be down for Mayo and to a lesser extent Al Jeff but not on a huge deal.

Edit: I guess I'm a fan of how Houston's going about things. I like the idea of stockpiling assets for a trade and not handing out huge deals to decent players.

Edited by TheFuzz

I didn't say they weren't untradeable I was saying that Ferry is stating the obvious that everyone is available.

Yeah, I understood that part but then you said that he said that " Ferry is just distracting from the Smith rumors is all."

I think he said it because he meant it. We are hearing about this Josh Smith trades but he is letting us know to don't be shocked if it's someone else who is traded. Like he did this off-season with Joe and Marvin.

Yeah, I understood that part but then you said that he said that " Ferry is just distracting from the Smith rumors is all."

I think he said it because he meant it. We are hearing about this Josh Smith trades but he is letting us know to don't be shocked if it's someone else who is traded. Like he did this off-season with Joe and Marvin.

Of course he means it, but I think he is also trying to take some of the spotlight off of Josh. But don't be fooled, no way is he trading a 16/10/2 guy who's young and only making 12 million per for the next several years as that production is almost impossible to replace for less money.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My question or worry rather is whether the GM's price is for a "pie in the sky" return. He can say that no one is untradeable but that means nothing if, from your earlier post on value, a great return of a player like Durant is seen as the baseline for discussing a trade of our assets.

My earlier reference was intended to be a baseline it was attempted to be goal posts. On one extreme, getting a mediocre veteran on an expiring overpaid contract is ridiculous and on the other end getting one of the top 2 players in the game at the beginning of his prime is equally ridiculous on the other end. I expect all serious trade offers to be somewhere in between those extremes.

My earlier reference was intended to be a baseline it was attempted to be goal posts. On one extreme, getting a mediocre veteran on an expiring overpaid contract is ridiculous and on the other end getting one of the top 2 players in the game at the beginning of his prime is equally ridiculous on the other end. I expect all serious trade offers to be somewhere in between those extremes.

Oh I understand exactly what you were saying. I guess I should clarify myself and say that without knowing what goes on in Ferry's mind we have no idea what his valuations are and therefore no way to interpret his statements. You set up the goal posts for both extremes of return value but suppose that, despite the ridiculousness, he feels that a fair return is in the vicinity of a Durant? Well then fundamentally his statement may be correct but realistically that is not something you could expect to happen. So really I feel that it's all lip service until we get a clearer sense of what he wants the roster to look like longterm. As fans we pray that the needle isn't pointing towards a Ben Gordon deal but we should also hope that deals pointing closer to the middle aren't getting overlooked in the hopes of getting that Durant.