• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons should get 3 compensatory picks = 10 total 2013 draft picks

coachx

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/27/2013-nfl-compensatory-pick-projections/

Great news for Falcons fans. After a boreing 2012 draft with no 1st or 3rd round picks the Falcons should have a minimum of 9 picks and probably 10 picks in Aprils draft. It appears Atlanta will be awarded 3 compensatory picks for the losses in free agency of Lofton, Weems, and Sanders last season. For details on how this works click the link above. Of course this was by design so Dimitroff could restock on draft picks after having few picks last year.

Atlanta should have the following allotment of draft picks:

1- 1st

1 - 2nd

1 - 3rd

2 - 4th's

1 - 5th

1 - 6th

3 - 7th's

7th round picks can have excellent value in the NFL. Remember in last years draft Atlanta flipped a 7th round pick for Asante Samuel, from Philly. He was by far our best cover corner last year. Many times teams will make "salary related trades" of a veteran for a 7th round pick when they are unable to restructure a contract and can no longer afford said veteran. Many players will be more open to restructuring a contract for the Falcons then for their current club.............like Samuel last year.......b/c Atlanta is a legit Super Bowl contender and there be more playing time at their position in Atlanta.

These 3 additional compensatory picks will also give Dimitroff the flexibility to be active in draft day trades if the opportunity arises.

Hard to beat the NFL draft where Tom Brady is found in Round 5 and Pro Bowl veterans are traded for 7th round picks. This should be a fun one to follow for Falcons fans.

I expect a lot of picks on defense while looking for a RB in rounds 3 and 4. While we need a difference making pass rusher as priority #1 we also need run stuffers on defense. We were exploited with runs up the middle in the NFC Championship Game. We missed Lofton's run stuffing ability. I would expect a legit 3-4 NT to be drafted in the draft as they are much easier to find then difference making pass rushers. Nolan mixed 4-3 and 3-4 looks last year quite a bit......even without having a legit run stuffing NT on the roster. You can bet on some OL picks as well......just like in any draft.

Hopefully TG announces he is coming back for 1 more year. He should give Atlanta a definitive answer by March 9th .......the date teams can start negotiating with free agents. After all you have to plan for the salary TG would eat up when making your free agent priortiy list as there are ton of FA TE's this year. Jared Cook is a strong possibility. He is 1 of the more explosive TES in the league and played his HS ball in Atlanta. He is young and would fit into a longterm plan. You would think he would be very open to Atlanta if TG does indeed make his retirement official.

Edited by coachx

Someone told me yesterday that Gonzalez was coming back but i haven't seen that. Is that true?

No definitive answer yet. Matt Ryan is working hard to get him to come back. The fact that he has not yet announced his retirement as official means the window is still open.

Reports I have heard have said the Falcons want a definitive answer from TG by March 9th.......when teams can communicate with free agents. March 12th is when you can begin signing free agents. This makes sense b/c TG will want substantial money on a 1 year deal.....he won't play for popcorn but you can't afford to hold $7 mill of cap space, in your back pocket, when we have our own free agents to retain and other holes to fill. If we lose him I expect we target Cook as his replacement in FA and use the draft on other needs like a run stuffing NT, RB, LB who can pass cover, hopefully a pass rusher, OL, and roster depth.

Edited by coachx

I've heard a lot about Stephen Jackson coming here as well so that's gonna eat up a lil cap space but I would love the move

Y'all can't have Cook as we need him in Miami a lot more!

I hate to smash your dreams but if Atlanta wants him he will come back to his home town. Matt Ryan has a pedigree of targeting the TE that Cook would love to be a part of......and just 12 yards shy of the Super Bowl.

I've heard a lot about Stephen Jackson coming here as well so that's gonna eat up a lil cap space but I would love the move

I think that is just radio talk.

I don't see TD trading in one 30 year old RB for another 30 year old RB.

I hate to smash your dreams but if Atlanta wants him he will come back to his home town. Matt Ryan has a pedigree of targeting the TE that Cook would love to be a part of......and just 12 yards shy of the Super Bowl.

We shall see but Miami usually has an advantage with FA and we have a ton of money to spend this year. I will be surprised if he leaves Tenn though.

We shall see but Miami usually has an advantage with FA and we have a ton of money to spend this year. I will be surprised if he leaves Tenn though.

I hope TG88 comes back and the Dolfans can have Cook. TG88 is still the best in the business at catching in heavy traffic.

I'd be shocked if the Titans burn their Franchise Tag on Cook. NFL.com is reporting that Cook would have a legal fight against a TE franchise tag b/c he was not lined up at the lined at the line of scrimmage the majority of the time............he was lined up the majority of the time spread out like a traditional slot WR.

Could be an interesting legal battle considerig TEs are now spread out more often then they were traditionally but historically they line up at the line of scrimmage. Nothing like a legal battle over your football position. My wife will love it as she is a die hard football fan and a you know what..............we seem to have several lawyers on here as well.........at least some pretend to be in the political forum when debating criminal cases.

Edited by coachx

We have a lot more money to work with now after today's moves so I think it's going to be an interesting offseason

• Moderators

I hope TG88 comes back and the Dolfans can have Cook. TG88 is still the best in the business at catching in heavy traffic.

I'd be shocked if the Titans burn their Franchise Tag on Cook. NFL.com is reporting that Cook would have a legal fight against a TE franchise tag b/c he was not lined up at the lined at the line of scrimmage the majority of the time............he was lined up the majority of the time spread out like a traditional slot WR.

Could be an interesting legal battle considerig TEs are now spread out more often then they were traditionally but historically they line up at the line of scrimmage. Nothing like a legal battle over your football position. My wife will love it as she is a die hard football fan and a you know what..............we seem to have several lawyers on here as well.........at least some pretend to be in the political forum when debating criminal cases.

That would be a very interesting issue (the TE franchise tag). I saw some rumbling about that on ESPN or CNNSI as well. I don't think it would apply to any other position but it does seem significant if the game continues to evolve.

Maybe a team could elect to use the RB tag on Tebow if they run an option offense with him?

• Moderators

Looks like the Titans were worried enough about it to not use the tag on him.

Not sure he is really good enough to warrant the tag for a team with no serious playoff aspirations anyway.

Not sure he is really good enough to warrant the tag for a team with no serious playoff aspirations anyway.

Certainly not for WR tag money but if you think that he's got the unique ability to play split out off the line as a WR and that's what you need for your offense then he might be worth TE tag money. Personally I think that Cook was misused in Tennessee but he's a big risk for another team to sign for big money when he's likely going to have to play with his hand in the dirt and block inline in most places. The Falcons are certainly better off if they can get TG back but Cook could replace some of his pass catching production if he doesn't come back.

• Moderators

Certainly not for WR tag money but if you think that he's got the unique ability to play split out off the line as a WR and that's what you need for your offense then he might be worth TE tag money. Personally I think that Cook was misused in Tennessee but he's a big risk for another team to sign for big money when he's likely going to have to play with his hand in the dirt and block inline in most places. The Falcons are certainly better off if they can get TG back but Cook could replace some of his pass catching production if he doesn't come back.

I agree with all that. I was just pointing out that there is a good chance that TN decided not to tag him for reasons other than a fear he would end up being viewed as a WR. He isn't that great and TN isn't that close (such that a moderate impact player could make the difference in their effort to make a meaningful post-season run) to spend that much money on a TE when they have other holes to fill.

I agree with all that. I was just pointing out that there is a good chance that TN decided not to tag him for reasons other than a fear he would end up being viewed as a WR. He isn't that great and TN isn't that close (such that a moderate impact player could make the difference in their effort to make a meaningful post-season run) to spend that much money on a TE when they have other holes to fill.

You are right they are certainly not close to contending. I'm not sure what the $ is for a franchise tag on a TE and he's probably not proven enough to deserve it, but if they don't keep Cook they are going to have to draft a TE early as Locker needs all of the weapons he can get.