• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PLAN "B"

T21

I know that we all want D12 and CP3... R2-D2, C-3PO... and we shoot for that stars... right!

OK, but in reality, if the above-mentioned plan doesn't work I think it would be wise to sign Al Jefferson, re-sign Smoove (15mil/year), re-sign Teague, re-sign Korver and use the rest of our cap space to build depth with veterans...

I remember back in the days when signed Lenny Wilkens, then added Andrew Lang, Craig Ehlo and Whatley (not household names) to an already strong core of Wilkins, Willis, Blaylock, Augmon, that Hawks began playing up to their potentials and if Nique wasn't traded who knows what would have happened that year...

The way our boys, Al, Smoove and JT, have been playing lately I would strongly consider this plan. We have our new core that has very good dynamic and chemistry and adding few right and valuable pieces would hopefully make us true contenders for Eastern Conference Finals... and then who knows...

• Like 3

I was on the fence with AJ but I don't want him here. His offense is exceptional but the team needs a last line of defense center. A Gortat, Larry Sanders type of player. He is going to want 55-60 over 4 years which is too much. Hickson I'm starting to get a hard on for. Chemistry wise I see it working. Shouldn't be too much and could go for a defensive big in the draft cough cough Withey.

2013 highlights - incredibly active. Almost young Amare esque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsDKn8gzvM

I'd gladly take either Hickson or Jefferson.

We still need a low post offensive option to win the slow it down, half court, slug fest in 7 game playoff series. That is what Jefferson is for. Horford's perimeter shooting mixes good with that and we are loaded with other shooters to space the floor. We also need a rim protector to clog the paint to beat the Heat with James and Wade slashing to the rim. Its nearly impossible to find both things in 1 player unless we win the Howard sweepstakes.

Hickson is a solid player who can play C at 6'9''.............but on our team I think Horford would still defend centers over Hickson the majority of the time. I still like Hickson alot b/c he is younger and probably slightly cheaper then Jefferson. The catch with him is that he is a resricted free agent and Portland did not trade him away. This makes you believe Portland may be planning to match the offer he signs.

I like Hickson more as a cheaper, and younger, replacement for Josh Smith in case he walks in free angency. Hickson plays more like a true post then Josh. Josh is still probably the better over all player but Hickson has his pros such as rebounding and playing a game more focused in the paint then the perimeter.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

I was on the fence with AJ but I don't want him here. His offense is exceptional but the team needs a last line of defense center. A Gortat, Larry Sanders type of player. He is going to want 55-60 over 4 years which is too much. Hickson I'm starting to get a hard on for. Chemistry wise I see it working. Shouldn't be too much and could go for a defensive big in the draft cough cough Withey.

I just want to point out that Larry Sanders in not a man on man post defender. Al bullied him in the paint. Sanders is more of a help defender who gets his blocks on help defense. He is a C/PF tweener.

I was preaching Dieng and Whitney with our last 1st round pick for a while as well. I'm on the same page with you there. I see Dieng as being very similar to a young Dalembert and Whitney reminds you of Asik.

If we re-sign Josh, he needs to move to SF permanently and be a PF backup only. Hickson is a good addition if we want to keep playing uptempo offense. I don't; however think the Hawks are really interested in him. He was rumored to be available for a 1st round pick or possibly even a 2nd rounder. If we had interest in him, why wouldn't we at least throw a 2nd round pick or even one of our 1sts in a weak draft to give him an audition with our team?

If we want a true post player and solid post defender, my nomination is for Nikola Pekovic. He's still fairly young and is quickly becoming a beast in the post. I think he could easily be the best Center in the East for the next few years if we get him.

Personally, unless Dwight comes to Atlanta, I don't see them re-signing Josh. I think too much has happened and while he brings so much intangibles to this team and has been playing out of his mind the past few weeks because he's allowing the offense to run through Al and Jeff and he gets his points, boards and assists as a complimentary piece, I don't think he's satisfied with that role. I hope I'm wrong because this team is deadly when he's playing the role he's playing now and Al and Jeff are playing at the level they are playing.

2013 highlights - incredibly active. Almost young Amare esque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsDKn8gzvM

Gross...I would like Hickson in a Hawks uni too, but it wouldn't make me chub-up...

• Premium Member

I like Jefferson. That's a strong front court with him, Horf, and Josh...and I like anything that moves Horford to PF. Not to get into a Smoove debate, but letting him focus on defense and rebounding...giving the scoring over to Horford, Jefferson, and Teague...if we could bring back Korver and Harris, that's pretty damn strong. My God, I get goosebumps just thinking about all the rebounds. I've been looking at AJ all year and wondering if this would be enough to push us to the head of the pack.

Can't say the spark of hope wouldn't light up. Posted Image

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

I would NOT sign Josh for 15mill.....

The way he is playing (and he's playing extremely well) and the way Al is playing, it's going to be hard justifying paying him terribly more than Al is making which is $12 million. I think if Smith wants more than around $12-$13 million starting salary, it's dicey whether he should be brought back. Before the restructuring of the CBA, I'd say his value was closer to $15 million. Now not as much, and I'm not basing that off of productivity either. Just pure economics.

If we re-sign Josh, he needs to move to SF permanently and be a PF backup only. Hickson is a good addition if we want to keep playing uptempo offense. I don't; however think the Hawks are really interested in him. He was rumored to be available for a 1st round pick or possibly even a 2nd rounder. If we had interest in him, why wouldn't we at least throw a 2nd round pick or even one of our 1sts in a weak draft to give him an audition with our team?

If we want a true post player and solid post defender, my nomination is for Nikola Pekovic. He's still fairly young and is quickly becoming a beast in the post. I think he could easily be the best Center in the East for the next few years if we get him.

I think Pekovic will cost just as much as Jefferson.

Problem with Pekovic is that he a restricted free agent. I would assume Minnesota matches any offer to keep him as they were a playoff team before Love got hurt. This is a team that has not made the playoffs since KG was in uniform so just being a playoff team means more to them then other franchises right now.

The only reason Jefferson may be more probable is that he is an unrestriced free agent and the Jazz need to find minutes for Favors and Kanter.

I'm with you on drafting a SF with 1 of our 2 1st round picks...........assuming Houston can hang on to a playoff spot.

I like Jefferson. That's a strong front court with him, Horf, and Josh...and I like anything that moves Horford to PF. Not to get into a Smoove debate, but letting him focus on defense and rebounding...giving the scoring over to Horford, Jefferson, and Teague...if we could bring back Korver and Harris, that's pretty damn strong. My God, I get goosebumps just thinking about all the rebounds. I've been looking at AJ all year and wondering if this would be enough to push us to the head of the pack.

Can't say the spark of hope wouldn't light up. Posted Image

It allows us to attack Miam's weakness. Playoff series are about mathups.

Miami is the best running team in the NBA. Your not going to beat them in a up tempo styled 7 game playoff series. You need to beat them with size. Lack of interior size is their weakness. Jefferson has had an excellent game vs. the Heat in a Jazz victory earlier this year. They don't have an answer for him.

Sun Tzu's "Art War" here in play guys...........you attack the enemy's weakness. He never went strength for strength vs. his enemy like the Europeans did. Playing an uptempo style vs. the Heat is not how Sun Tzu would have attacked Lebron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

It allows us to attack Miam's weakness. Playoff series are about mathups.

Miami is the best running team in the NBA. Your not going to beat them in a up tempo game 7 game playoff series. You need to beat them with size. Lack on interior size is their weakness. Jefferson has had an excellent game vs. the Heat in a Jazz victory earlier this year. They don't have an answer for him.

You took the thoughts right out of my brain...

Not worried about the cap space either. Korver, Harris, Jefferson...even Josh, all of these guys will have serious trade value. The only question is whether or not we could score the signatures. Yessir...I've done a lot of whining about "winning without losing" and getting a star player, but you can count me as a supporter on this.

I think Pekovic will cost just as much as Jefferson.

Problem with Pekovic is that he a restricted free agent. I would assume Minnesota matches any offer to keep him as they were a playoff team before Love got hurt. This is a team that has not made the playoffs since KG was in uniform so just being a playoff team means more to them then other franchises right now.

The only reason Jefferson may be more probable is that he is an unrestriced free agent and the Jazz need to find minutes for Favors and Kanter.

I'm with you on drafting a SF with 1 of our 2 1st round picks...........assuming Houston can hang on to a playoff spot.

Pekovic's Max (13.7) is less than what Jefferson is making now and I'd assume that he'd want a raise from there or at least a new contract in the same vicinity. Either way Pek is just simply the younger and better player that doesn't have to rely on being a blackhole on offense to have an impact on the game.

If Minnesota decides to match I would still much rather go for the much cheaper Splitter to be an upgrade over Zaza rather than burn a lot of cash on the Joe Johnson of Centers. We are enjoying the team because it features quick cuts by the bigs and crisp perimeter passing, I have no idea how Jefferson would ever fit into that with his "throw the ball into me and clear out" style.

• Like 3

The plan i would like us to do is differant than most. Let smoove walk, get a bruising rebounding center that can run the floor, get a scoring wing who isnt ball dominant.Move horford to full time pf and continue to let him develop as option as option 1a/1b with teague or the scoring wing if he is better than teague.

I still think Igoudala would fit the starting lineup perfectly. Athletic, can play multiple positions, doesn't need the ball to be effective. Jefferson would be great on offense but I don't want to slow this team down, plus we only need "big" centers vs a couple teams in the league...otherwise playing an athlete at center like Horford is viable.

• Like 1

Q-Man

Whats going on Lang, I hope all is well on your end.

1. Teague is the key to Hawks, Im concerned that he doesnt attack and play his game when we play the elite teams.The kid has come along way, but now he must develope that killer mind set(your thoughts)
2.Are we (next season)trying to add that superstar to put with Josh,Al and teague in the off season. (I wouldnt mine keeping Kover and Harris on my bench)
3. Drew is a better coach then I gave him credit for, but it seem as though he come up short against the elite teams(as Teague 1 above). Is he still interview for his job next season

[*]
    Lang Greene

What’s up Hoop Freaks? Smell that? It is the sweet smell of the NBA turning up the intensity. Teams are getting testy. Teams are battling for playoff spots or home court advantage. Free agents to be are motivated to end the season strong. Yes, indeed the season is coming into focus. Let’s get after it …

What’s good 3Q? Thanks for the note.

1. Jeff Teague has been strong this season. Very strong. It still remains to be seen if he is truly a guy with elite level floor vision, but in the (motion) system he plays I think he’s getting the most out of his game. Also, I don’t see Teague shying away from the bright lights. The kid has hit big shots … but he usually defers to the team leaders down the stretch
    2. People look up and see the Hawks have $35+ million in salary cap room and automatically assume Danny Ferry is going to cash that in this summer. I disagree. I’ve spoken with Danny on this topic and I don’t get the idea he’s going to be a loose spender. The Hawks hired him with a long term plan in mind, getting the team to be viewed in a different light. I can see him using some of the money this summer but tucking away a strong portion for future use.
    3. Drew is a good coach. But at the end of the day you can only win at the level of talent you have. The Hawks get beat by elite teams because they’re not an elite team. Nor should they be considered one. I’d called this latest installment an overachieving crew.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-with-lang-greene-22713/#4fcKjPAuy1G3JvVZ.99

I still think Igoudala would fit the starting lineup perfectly. Athletic, can play multiple positions, doesn't need the ball to be effective. Jefferson would be great on offense but I don't want to slow this team down, plus we only need "big" centers vs a couple teams in the league...otherwise playing an athlete at center like Horford is viable.

I don't want to resign Iggy who will be 31 in year #1 of his contract. That boat has sailed for me.

Q-Man

Whats going on Lang, I hope all is well on your end.

1. Teague is the key to Hawks, Im concerned that he doesnt attack and play his game when we play the elite teams.The kid has come along way, but now he must develope that killer mind set(your thoughts)

2.Are we (next season)trying to add that superstar to put with Josh,Al and teague in the off season. (I wouldnt mine keeping Kover and Harris on my bench)

3. Drew is a better coach then I gave him credit for, but it seem as though he come up short against the elite teams(as Teague 1 above). Is he still interview for his job next season

[*]

Lang Greene

2. People look up and see the Hawks have $35+ million in salary cap room and automatically assume Danny Ferry is going to cash that in this summer. I disagree. I’ve spoken with Danny on this topic and I don’t get the idea he’s going to be a loose spender. The Hawks hired him with a long term plan in mind, getting the team to be viewed in a different light. I can see him using some of the money this summer but tucking away a strong portion for future use.

[*]

[*]Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-with-lang-greene-22713/#4fcKjPAuy1G3JvVZ.99

Agree 100% with this.

The 2014 free agent pool is much, much deeper then this years crop of FA.