• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Bargains

buckeye242424

I'm a fan of "Sports Guy" and actually read his books. I think he's knows what he's talking about, especially basketball. Check out #5 on his list. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9002028/the-best-bargains-nba More importanly is our Smoove dilemma...want him around, but just not break the bank. There are some good reasons why in that column...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great article. This is why i think we have to go all in. Horford is in his prime and on a great deal. We can't afford to rebuild through the draft and waste that. We're a pretty good team now even with Lou Williams hurt and no real wing scorers (as opposed to shooters) or wing defenders. Harden, Gay, Granger would make us pretty formidable. cp3 even better. Not saying it would be the right move to grab those guys but hopefully Ferry adds guard talent this off season.

I agree. We need a two or a three that can score. No offense to Korver, but he would be perfect off the bench. If Lou comes back healthy, with Teague, I like that back court. Still need that three...

• Moderators

I agree. We need a two or a three that can score. No offense to Korver, but he would be perfect off the bench. If Lou comes back healthy, with Teague, I like that back court. Still need that three...

And this is why I'd be interest in signing Iggy and/or Mayo if Dwight doesn't happen and Smoove walks. Iggy is the best defender in the league hands down. Can guard the two or three and can chip in Joe nimbers on the offensive end. Mayo is a penetrating 2 guard that can make anything 16 feet and out. Combine that with a young center looking for a starting gig, i.e. Mozgov, Splitter, etc. Maybe even take a shot at stealing Bynum away from Philly (after countless physicals, body scans, and drug tests are performed). Even if Smith re-ups, you can still go after Iggy and Mozgov and go with:C - Mozgov/Splitter/BynumPF - HorfordSF - Smith/IggySG - Iggy/MayoPG - Teague

• Moderators

Another thing Simmons does in that article is argue why you can't afford to have a sub-All-Star swingman like Rudy Gay or Granger. He advocates signing much cheaper alternatives at the swing positions rather than high priced JJ/Gay/Granger types. So if you buy what Simmons is selling, you should be passing on those guys.

• Like 1

Simmons is an outstanding writer. You wouldn't know it by watching him on TV, he's awful. He gave props to Al, but went off into a tangent talking about how much he hates Jennings. Everybody hates Jennings, what else is new? A little more depth on why Al is a bargain like everyone else mentioned would've been nice. Like him being near the top of the league in Double-Doubles. I have his Book on Basketball, just never found the time to read it.

LOL @ Iguodala talk. He will be 30 this time next season and all his game consists of is athletic ability. He has no jumper at all and is awful from the charity stripe.

Simmons is an outstanding writer. You wouldn't know it by watching him on TV, he's awful. He gave props to Al, but went off into a tangent talking about how much he hates Jennings. Everybody hates Jennings, what else is new? A little more depth on why Al is a bargain like everyone else mentioned would've been nice. Like him being near the top of the league in Double-Doubles. I have his Book on Basketball, just never found the time to read it.

He's not good on camera. In fact, I think the only reason he's getting these gigs is because of how great of a writer he is. He makes sense and intelligent. If you start his book on basketball, be ready to invest time. I couldn't put it down. I read his prior book on theSox'...and I don't follow anyone but the Reds, but his writing is compelling.

Anyway, I think he's dead on on over spending on a shooting wing...I don't think Ferry will make that mistake.

• Moderators

LOL @ Iguodala talk. He will be 30 this time next season and all his game consists of is athletic ability. He has no jumper at all and is awful from the charity stripe.

I'd take Iggy at 30 over Josh. Iggy is 3 inches shorter, but plays great D and doesn't do things to kill games for his team. Iggy is farfetched because he isn't leaving $16.5 mil on the table in Denver to play for the Hawks. Dwight is our biggest shot this offseason and if that doesn't happen, then I'll gladly take Mozgov/Splitter and Mayo as a consolation prize.Another thing that article said that interested me was that you should never overpay for sub-All Star wing players. What does that mean for the Hawks when it comes to Josh Smith? Is it now more likely that Smith will be in Houston, Dallas, or somewhere else now?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're both pretty bad shooters, but which shot chart below is for Josh and which is for Iggy?

post-5-0-13591100-1362506420_thumb.png

post-5-0-71476400-1362506424_thumb.png

I'm guessing the first one is Josh.

You didn't have to look any further than the top of the key and to the right of it to see the attempts and percentages. That's the foundation of his offense, or so he thinks. Right inside the three point line, bricks and airs. He needs to just stay away from the free throw line, whether the clock is on or off. But thats Midrange Shawty. Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

Actually Josh's 3% from the left and right top of the arc is respectable. Straight on and corner 3s are beyond horrendous. Just shows that if he wants to shoot jumpers have him shoot from those two 3 point spots and other than that he should never shoot anything that isn't under the basket.