• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Concerning the New York (tried) ban on big pops

DJlaysitup

I thought it was hilarious that Mayor Bloomberg attempted to ban sugary soft drinks over 16 ounces...what a hoot.

You cannot take over people's decisions like that...it is simply wrong.

My Grandfather ate Lard sandwiches during the depression - yes lard - pig fat and nothing else but home made bread - and worked his butt off all day and lived to be a hundred.

It all comes down to excercise IMO...you have to work it off...or...eat more carefully if that is not an option.

Quick story: A couple years back I was working at a building where I couldn't get my morning coffee - and - not thinking it mattered - I drank a 16oz Coke every morning to get my caffeine instead. Strangely, I still felt sluggish and I actually started to get episodes of gout. I mean real - hard to walk on my feet episodes of gout.

I tried a few things. A friend of mine said to cut out pork (at least the fatty kind) and I read where shrimp were "instant gout" for those of us in the danger zone.

Well anyway - what I DID find out was that once I started making my coffee at home and didn't drink the Coke anymore - boom - no more gout. I will admit that I started exercising more also - but to be honest - when I was fighting the gout I couldn't if I wanted to.

I realize this doesn't apply to most of you guys since you are young and slim,..but just a warning in case you get lazy.

Now I do what I call "in office" exercises...get out of the chair and stretch and do knee and back bends and walk around at least three times a day. I feel a lot better. I think controlling the sugar intake was the key.

So while I don't think much of "Legislating diet"...it is good to keep the old sugar intake down Posted Image

• Moderators

Well put. Sodas are bad if you are consuming them regularly and i feel the same about diet sodas. I think the controversy on this was a little over blown but i understand that people don't want to be told what to do.

Once someone explained it to me though it does make sense. If you are a person setting public health policy there is no debate about this. Had this been enacted it would have had a positive effect on overall public health. The reason is that when people are eating fast food they consume what ever the serving size is. Like with your coke everyday. If the coke had come in sizes of 8 ounces instead of 12 then you would have consumed a third less everyday. You wouldn't have bought two. The same would have happened. People would consume the largest amount whatever that is and if all of a sudden they are consuming half as much soda as they were before then it will have an impact.

That is still not to say that it should be legislated as this is a free country. But if your stated goal is to improve public health through government action this would have worked.

I totally agree about exercise though. In fact now they are discovering that other than just genetics, the reason some people gain weight and others don't with similar diets and exercise is that some people are just better at moving more, expending more energy throughout the day. Our company is starting to invest in stand up desks.

• 3 weeks later...

Our company is starting to invest in stand up desks.

I think these are a great idea...i don't have one now but may ask for one in the future (I'm certainly eligible).

We have a lady who has back problems and they gave her one. Of course it's not simply a "standup desk" - it works both ways. You can sit for half an hour and then stand for 20 minutes - then sit for an hour and then stand for half an hour - it's adjustable.

With my job I can usually get through the day without sitting for more than two hours at a time - still - when I do sit for two full hours - I feel like I'm cracking old bones when I get up and do a full stretch/semi-toe touch/and bend-twist all around.

One of the things I do is never send emails much to people in my building. I just get up and go to where they are at. I have found that (as I always knew) person to person contact is by far the best way to communicate. You can't see the physical inferences from an email. Person-to-person you can get the feeling from voice and physical gestures about whether they actually agree with something or they are just going along.

If you feel that they are "just going along" you can ask why.

More than once I have gotten feedback from a person (who knew their jobs) that made me realize...Hmmmm

In the Navy we used to call it "Management by Walking Around"....I think it still works and gets a person out of their chairs.

• Moderators

I think these are a great idea...i don't have one now but may ask for one in the future (I'm certainly eligible).

We have a lady who has back problems and they gave her one. Of course it's not simply a "standup desk" - it works both ways. You can sit for half an hour and then stand for 20 minutes - then sit for an hour and then stand for half an hour - it's adjustable.

With my job I can usually get through the day without sitting for more than two hours at a time - still - when I do sit for two full hours - I feel like I'm cracking old bones when I get up and do a full stretch/semi-toe touch/and bend-twist all around.

One of the things I do is never send emails much to people in my building. I just get up and go to where they are at. I have found that (as I always knew) person to person contact is by far the best way to communicate. You can't see the physical inferences from an email. Person-to-person you can get the feeling from voice and physical gestures about whether they actually agree with something or they are just going along.

If you feel that they are "just going along" you can ask why.

More than once I have gotten feedback from a person (who knew their jobs) that made me realize...Hmmmm

In the Navy we used to call it "Management by Walking Around"....I think it still works and gets a person out of their chairs.

We are on the same page there but i'm suprised, and annoyed, by how many people don't like face to face communication at all. I guess i'm old but the texting culture i think is messing things up. Maybe better in some ways but not for everything.

We bought versadesks. They are pretty nice. Auto up and down.

• Moderators

We are on the same page there but i'm suprised, and annoyed, by how many people don't like face to face communication at all. I guess i'm old but the texting culture i think is messing things up. Maybe better in some ways but not for everything.

We bought versadesks. They are pretty nice. Auto up and down.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Count me among those who prefer for someone to email me, simply for the fact that I want a "paper" trail and zero confusion about what someone said or didn't say. Too often I've seen situations of he said she said and that can't happen when there is proof in the form of an email or IM.

I don't think that those desks would work for me since I have big dual monitors and lots of other equipment on my desk, but it does seem like a good idea for those who can get it. Since I can't use something like that I try and get up and walk for at least 5 minutes each hour but sometimes I get locked in on what I'm doing and forget and then feel like crap when I do get up to walk later on.

• Moderators

Count me among those who prefer for someone to email me, simply for the fact that I want a "paper" trail and zero confusion about what someone said or didn't say. Too often I've seen situations of he said she said and that can't happen when there is proof in the form of an email or IM.

I don't think that those desks would work for me since I have big dual monitors and lots of other equipment on my desk, but it does seem like a good idea for those who can get it. Since I can't use something like that I try and get up and walk for at least 5 minutes each hour but sometimes I get locked in on what I'm doing and forget and then feel like crap when I do get up to walk later on.

These desks have an optional monitor stand that holds two monitors, maybe with the option for 3. So far we've been happy with it although i'm not using it myself i'm thinking about getting one.

The dumb thing about this is someone could buy two of the allowed sodas to consume more than the big one that was outlawed. lol

Well it sounds like they need to institute a limit on the # of drinks that one person can order, unless they can prove that they have more than 1 person in their party. No way should the state late someone consume as much soda as they want that's for sure!!

I will say this though, I wish Texas would put a limit on the size of the drinks that are allowed to be sold by Whataburger. I know you guys probably don't have that place in your states but I go there once every few weeks and always forget that their large is enormous and that a medium is the size of a large at most places. So today at lunch I ordered a large sweet tea and now I will be peeing for a week straight because of this oversized bastard of a drink. And no I can't just pour it out as I spent good money on this!

• Like 2