• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Pacers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

“Gentlemen! And Danny Granger! Start Your Engines!”

Well, not just yet. It’s quite interesting, with all the daily drama over Derrick Rose’s status in the Windy City, that the actual Central Division leaders, the Indiana Pacers, suffer no anxieties about the timetable for the return of the franchise’s leading scorer from the past five seasons. Granger tried to start back up after the All-Star Break and appeared in five games, but returned to the inactive list after dealing with persistent knee soreness.

The Pacers are hoping Granger will be able to get back on the floor at some point during the four-game road trip that follows tonight’s game against the Atlanta Hawks. They’re cruising along just fine, however, thanks to the offensive emergence of Paul George, the offensive resurgence of 2-time All-Star David West, and a defense that remains absolutely stifling. They’re giving up just 89.5 PPG to opponents, who are shooting an NBA-low 41.4 FG% and 32.1 3FG%.

Atlanta is one of just two teams that have managed to hang triple-digits on them twice this year. Ever since the Pacers defeated the Hawks 114-103 on February 5, only one other team, the Miami HEAT (105-91 on March 10), has managed to surpass the 100-point barrier in regulation. Before that Miami game, Atlanta was also the last Eastern Conference team to shoot more than 50 percent against the Hoosier State pros, going 44-for-80 in a December 29 win at Philips Arena.

Can we just go ahead and start handing out the season-ending hardware? The Defensive Player of the Year trophy should already be engraved with “Paul George,” who ranks sixth among non-centers in defensive rebounds per game, third among non-point-guards in steals. His rebounding in particular makes it easier for Roy Hibbert to go for offensive boards (2nd in NBA for offensive rebounding percentage) and block shots. (3rd in NBA for BPG). George joins Hibbert and a greatly improved (defensively) West among the top 5 NBA players for defensive rating. George is not shooting well (42.5 FG%; 37.9 FG% on threes despite shooting the sixth-most in the league), otherwise we’d see him take home the Most Improved Player trophy as well.

Indiana has had to adjust, though, with West unavailable for the past week-and-a-half due to a back injury. Although the Pacers probably can’t go West, young man Tyler Hansbrough has stepped up admirably. Tyler has, indeed, been creating, averaging 15.3 PPG and 10.8 RPG in his last four starts subbing for West, who has averaged 17.3 PPG and 7.7 RPGs this season.

Josh Smith (4th among NBA forwards in assists per game; 0 assists and 0 free throw attempts on February 5 vs. Indy) will have to attack the lack of depth at the 4-spot in West’s absence, drawing fouls from Hansbrough and extra defenders for passes-to-assists out of the post. Al Horford (5th among centers in assists per game; 2 assists on February 5) will draw the Pacer defense out of the paint and set up shots for Smith and cutting guards, including Indianapolis native Jeff Teague. This approach will force George Hill and Lance Stephenson to work the full court and not just patrol the perimeter on defense.

One of those cutting guards that won’t be available will be Devin Harris, probably the most reliable Hawk guard going to the hoop. John Jenkins (59 FG% at the rim) has to step up and focus on finishing at the rim. Expect some looks for DeShawn Stevenson and Dahntay Jones, the latter able to help Stevenson cool off George (29 points on February 5, 5-for-9 on threes) on defense.

On Palm Sunday, the Hawks turned the other cheek while allowing the Bucks to snatch 19 offensive rebounds, the most given up in a regulation game since Atlanta’s opener against Omer Asik and the Rockets. And that won’t cut it if they have designs on earning a victory and Hibbert (6.3 offensive RPG per 48 minutes, 1st in NBA) makes it to the arena tonight. Ivan Johnson (likely returning from back spasms), Johan Petro and Anthony Tolliver will need to help out Horford and Smith with the defensive rebounding so Hibbert doesn’t mop up all of George’s misses.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article

• Like 1

• Moderators

*Department of Corrections says that should read, "(6.3 offensive rebounds per 48 minutes, 1st in NBA)" for Hibbert.

Philly-Utah (9 PM Eastern) may have some implications for us tonight. Philly losing (and us winning) clinches the playoffs. Utah losing helps the Rockets bring the magic number down to 6 for reaching the playoffs, something for which we'd be grateful come draft time.

Personally, I'd rather the Jazz and Rox get in, so you-know-who can watch Dahntay in the playoffs from home. So, go Marvin!

~lw3

• Like 2

*Department of Corrections says that should read, "(6.3 offensive rebounds per 48 minutes, 1st in NBA)" for Hibbert.

Philly-Utah (9 PM Eastern) may have some implications for us tonight. Philly losing (and us winning) clinches the playoffs. Utah losing helps the Rockets bring the magic number down to 6 for reaching the playoffs, something for which we'd be grateful come draft time.

Personally, I'd rather the Jazz and Rox get in, so you-know-who can watch Dahntay in the playoffs from home. So, go Marvin!

~lw3

I almost feel sorry for Marvin. He has only got less and less productive as the year went along.

• Moderators

I almost feel sorry for Marvin. He has only got less and less productive as the year went along.

El Duque's whole season gives me the sadz. I was so sure he would break into mediocrity with Utah!

~lw3

• Like 1

Lakers are getting in along with Heat they are the stories of the season. Rather you believe this stuff is manipulate by the league is the question.

I don't. If so, Stern would've found a few more ways to prevent the Spurs from winning 4. He hates their guts and the ratings they produce (or don't). The Lakers will get mopped up tonight, making it closer to impossible, but Utah is doing all they can to give it up. Nash out in front of their defense is just too fatal. Wall had an okay night and still stuffed the sheet. Curry should look for 40-10-5.As far as tonight, without West and Granger, we better win or I'll be pissed. The stat about us and the Heat just shows they can't guard that last pass of great ball movement. Never thought of George as DPOY, but Lethal make a good case. Being a candidate for that and MIP basically means by next year you won't be able to tell the difference between he and Pippen. If my NBA2K games are any indication, Hawks by 3, led by the front line and Korver. Edited by benhillboy

I hope we guard the three point line tonight though. It would be nice. I don't want to see Hill, Augustine, and George teeing off, especially off offensive rebounds. That sh@t makes me flip in my chair.And am I the only one who can't differentiate between Danny Green and George Hill? They're the same guy, aren't they?

Edited by benhillboy

Pathetic, looks like early season with LD beating us with bad lineups and substitution patterns. Going to Josh early in the game is a detriment his scoring is not important to this team. Al and Jeff dominant the ball when we are good.

Very admirable job by the bench. JJ is gonna be a very good player this time next year. Being this poor on the defensive glass is very troubling. If there were a stat for missed rebounds, we'd be leading the league. Fu@k it. On to the next one, hopefully with Devin in tow.

Edited by benhillboy

The bench, not the top seven, the rest of them

all were big on the plus side.

The top seven were big on the minus side.

Great game from the bottom of the order.

Terrible defense, or something, with the Pacers hitting 70%

in the second and not much less in the 3rd, especially in

the beginning when everything went in for them.

Ah, well. Guess we were due for another of those games.

GO HAWKS!!

Owned by talentless hacks like Gerald Green and Orlando Johnson. Something needs to be done to keep horrible teams like this one out of the playoffs. It's time the league shake up the playoff seedings in order to prevent so many crappy teams from making the playoffs. This isn't the first time this team has lost to another teams bench this year. Gerald Green shouldn't still be even in the league.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

The bench, not the top seven, the rest of them

all were big on the plus side.

The top seven were big on the minus side.

Great game from the bottom of the order.

Terrible defense, or something, with the Pacers hitting 70%

in the second and not much less in the 3rd, especially in

the beginning when everything went in for them.

Ah, well. Guess we were due for another of those games.

GO HAWKS!!

This team is horrible.

Owned by talentless hacks like Gerald Green and Orlando Johnson. Something needs to be done to keep horrible teams like this one out of the playoffs. It's time the league shake up the playoff seedings in order to prevent so many crappy teams from making the playoffs. This isn't the first time this team has lost to another teams bench this year. Gerald Green shouldn't still be even in the league.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This team wins by less than a half a point a game in terms of point differential. So mediocre is most like it. It's what one should expect with two unreliable players in Teague and Josh thought. It seems that Teague has many many crappy nights. It's bad when the other teams PG goes 1-6 with 6 points and he still outplays you. I think that what makes it so bad is that when he shoots poorly he misses almost all of his layups even.

Edited by Hotlanta1981